Old 01-17-2012, 11:52 AM
ita formido mortalis

Silent Horror Films

Anyone here into silent films? Recently I've become obsessed with silent film. I find the whole period of all art during the silent film era hugely fascinating. I think the emotion, story and detail conveyed in silent film just really resonates with me, and to watch any good silent film is to watch absolute mastery of film making - anything by Murnau or Lang especially.

I've watched these recently, and would definitely put them on a best horror films of all time list:

Nosferatu - I saw a restored version as it was intended to be viewed, highly reccomend to track it down if you've only ever seen the non-tinted version with the wrong character names.

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari - This movie blows my mind. I love, love LOVE how everything looks in this movie.

The Hands of Orlac - (Orlac's Hande) This is the most expressive movie I may have ever seen. It is a little slow paced - but I think that's due to our modern short attention spans than anything else. This movie is moving and beautiful to me, I've played piano since I've been a little kid so that's part of the reason too.

The Golem - the scene where the rabbi does the ritual is accurate - that is actually from real grimoires and cermonial magic, really cool! Great, great storytelling, history and special effects.

The Cat and the Canary - I maybe wouldn't consider this film on a best horror movie of all time list, but it is a quintessential horror film and has obviously influenced just about every/any "haunted house" horror film as well as any horror movie with an ensemble cast. This movie creates many, many horror movie tropes. This movie could easily be remade today with no changes except setting it in the present year (Of course it would suck because today's actors would make it suck crap balls).

Metropolis - Not a horror film, but I watched the most recent restoration and wow - go watch it now if you can. Just last year they found 25 mins of lost footage, it looks amazing. Beautiful, stunning, moving film. Just thinking about how this was made back then blows my mind. Even without the sets, the camera work was groundbreaking.

Next up on my docket to watch:

Faust
The Phantom of the Opera
Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde
Hunchback of Notre Dame

Any that I'm missing that I should see?

If anyone has any ideas on how to further my obsession with this era let me know...time travel anyone?

http://www.facebook.com/AperionProject
-------------------------
Old 01-17-2012, 12:42 PM
Cranky

Yes, I love silent films.

I saw the restored version of Metropolis last year, and it was, as you say, stunning. Dancelike in many spots. The restored footage was actually discovered in 2008. It took them 2 years to restore it.

A couple to check out:

The original version of Frankenstein, produced by the Edison studio. Really an interesting film.

Also, The Phantom Carraige is an amazing film. Many starkly eerie images.

The Lost World is well worth a watch, featuring stop motion animation by Merian C. Cooper before King Kong.

And then there's Haxan, which needs to be seen to be believed.

Those are the cream of the crop, but by no means every silent horror.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 01-17-2012, 12:55 PM
Evil Dead

Nosferatu...but that's a given. Sooooooo creepy.

The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari is another strange silent German horror film. Plays with story conventions and looks like a possible strong influence on Tim Burton.

The Phantom Of The Opera. Is worth seeing, especially for the colour ballroom sequence. Lon Chaney is sublime!
Old 01-17-2012, 03:27 PM
mostly ghostly?

^I second all of those recs by good sir Ozma. I would also add a Japanese film called A Page of Madness, which is somewhat horror, maybe? At any rate, it's a brilliant work and, like NE said about Haxan, it has to be seen to be believed.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:54 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
The Man Who Laughs.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:55 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
And also just for the cool vibes Les Vampyrs.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:20 PM
Hellraiser

Metropolis is, I believe, the high water mark of the silent era, but Nosferatu is my favourite silent "horror."
Old 01-17-2012, 09:43 PM
mostly ghostly?

Actually, Dreyer's Vampyr is close enough to silent. And it's extraordinary.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:14 AM
Synthetic Flesh

Also check out:

Sparrows
The Student of Prague
Old 01-18-2012, 02:47 AM
Pirate of Bengal

^^Every film that have been mentioned so far are great film, really amazing...as NE said 'needs to be seen to be believed'.

Like to add Lon Chaney's The Penalty (1920) & The Unknown (1927)