Old 11-10-2012, 06:52 AM
From The Beyond

Last Seen European Horror?

As all the other forums have one of these as a sticky I thought I would do one for European Horror. The last I saw was the british film The Wicker Tree (2011) directed by Robin Hardy who directed the original Wicker Man (1973). This is second part of a trilogy so it will be interesting to see where he goes from here. This one however is best approached with low expectations don't expect it to be as spectacular as the first film and you might enjoy it. A lot of people won't though.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:48 AM
From The Beyond

Saw Kill List (2011) which I had extremely low expectations of due to some very scathing reviews of it that I had come across. It is a British film-a character study of a hitman and the lengths he would go to provide for his family. It's a film of substance that doesn't try to manipulate the viewer instead allowing the points to be made by the director to the viewer coming to their own conclusions with a tangible gritty realism that avoids all the trappings of conceited pretentiousness. The Cabin In The Woods did this too. The film does surprisingly move into horror territory in the last 20mins making this a definite horror film on many levels (you'll see what I mean if you see it). There is some brutal violence (iriitatingly overwarned about by film four after EVERY fucking ad break-it's sad that controversial films like this need to have these just in case people complain FFS) but the blood-spilled is quite sporadic so don't come into this expecting a gorefest. However there is enough here to keep the viewer hooked. A truly indispensable film :)
Old 11-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Evil Dead

I saw The Devils Business last night -like kill list its a Brit flick which I found incredibly enjoyable -well worth a watch if youre a fan of old school horror such as hammer house of horror .Its a short film ,well executed and acted .The ending nearly had me doing little girly claps of glee !
Old 11-20-2012, 05:22 AM
From The Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dara View Post
I saw The Devils Business last night -like kill list its a Brit flick which I found incredibly enjoyable -well worth a watch if youre a fan of old school horror such as hammer house of horror .Its a short film ,well executed and acted .The ending nearly had me doing little girly claps of glee !
I'll have to check this out-I adored Hammer House Of Horror :)

Black Magic Rites/The Reincarnation Of Isabel (1973). Pure eurotrash sexploitation film that is just too easy to take the piss out of it. It probably helped that I was very stoned while watching this as I found the incoherence of it all very comical same with the lame wooden acting. One irritating character miraculously survives and I think they let her survive out of pure spite (though she does get raped err kind of anyway). Though it's certainly violent, gory and typically weird as you expect from Italian horror. Not really one I'd recommend though
Old 11-26-2012, 11:17 AM
From The Beyond

Los Ojos De Julia/Julia's Eyes (2010) Spanish thriller produced by Guillermo De Toro that is very argento-esque and a blast to watch. Lots of clever scenes and camera trickery. The kind of film that I wish I'd seen at the cinema to see it in its full glory. Genuinely thrilling, edge of your seat stuff-recommended :)
Old 12-17-2012, 12:25 AM
From The Beyond

The Blood Spattered Bride (1972) Italian horror based on Sheridan Le Fanu's "Carmilla". Was better than I expected, it's quite subtle though. But there is a great unease to it and I'm sure it would have seemed a bit controversial back then though it doesn't now. Still I wouldn't call it outstanding but since I had such low expectations I felt it was worth watching :)
Old 01-08-2013, 06:35 AM
From The Beyond

The Burning Moon (1992) German horror that I hadn't heard of before I saw it in the most "gorific thread". This really is a remarkable film. Proof that you can do absolutely anything on a practically non-existent budget. Starts off slowly to warm you up but gradually gets darker, more atmospheric, mysterious, more violent, unsettling, gorier and disturbing as it progresses. The effort put into this is astonishing and you can tell that it was made by proper horror fans purely for other horror fans. Nothing is watered down, or aimed at a particular market nor will it ever be liked/understood by a mainstream audience. Take a ride on this journey to pure HELL and enjoy :)
Old 01-14-2013, 07:17 PM
Sometimes dead is better

Zombie 2 by Lucio Fulci. It was a really good Italian horror film. It had some interesting death sequences (a zombie put a splinter through the eye of a woman). There was one scene in which a zombie and a tiger shark fought (The zombie bit the shark). The film was definitely a B-movie, but a high-quality one.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:32 AM
From The Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by metternich1815 View Post
Zombie 2 by Lucio Fulci. It was a really good Italian horror film. It had some interesting death sequences (a zombie put a splinter through the eye of a woman). There was one scene in which a zombie and a tiger shark fought (The zombie bit the shark). The film was definitely a B-movie, but a high-quality one.
Glad you enjoyed and discovered that Fulci classic. I hope you enjoy a lot of the other Italian horrors out there. Approach the cheap knock-offs like Great White, The House Of Exorcism and The Beast In Heat with caution they are very niche and are best viewed with alcohol or weed. But there a lot of underrated gems like Zeder/Revenge Of The Dead, The Church and Door To Silence that you might like.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:25 PM
From The Beyond

Death Walks On High Heels (1971)-Erotic and fascinating giallo set in France and the UK. Directed by Luciano Ercoli who produced other gialli Death Walks At Midnight and Forbidden Photos Of A Lady Above Suspicion. This is even better than them. I especially loved the fishmonger in the english village (wonder if he was selling red herrings? lol) and the gossips in the pub. Nicely woven little mystery thriller-not much violence but when it does happen is even more effective than you expect. Fans of the Italian genre won't want to miss this :)

Can't compete with the dvd but not bad quality here:-

Last edited by Fearonsarms; 02-03-2013 at 10:44 PM. Reason: corrected