Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Did you ever see Argento's Deep Red?
Not yet. Wiki'd it. Looks interesting.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:52 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloof View Post
Not yet. Wiki'd it. Looks interesting.
It's been on my list forever. I really liked Argento's Suspiria, but was disappointed in Opera. Deep Red was the film just before Suspiria. Let me know if you see it, I'll make sure I do.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:46 AM
Evil Dead

THE SHINING (1980). One of my favorite King novels, particularly where Jack is regretting, worrying, trying so hard to overcome his Demons. I found those parts riveting and really hoped he would succeed in his personal/professional life.
This Stanley Kubrick film has SO MANY good things,; the awesome score, wonderful sets, the exquisite photography, the use of the Steadicam and some truly creepy images (Those little girls). Felt at first viewing and still do, that Jack Nicholson really wasn't right for the part, despite several great scenes. Too well known and he starts acting twitchy right after the interview and there's just no empathy for him...think Michael Moriarty would have been a better choice as there is a vulnerability about him. Shelly Duvall has some great scenes (especially when she discovers Jack's work), but too mousy/timid. My impression of Wendy from the book is somewhat beaten, but with inner strength to draw upon. Brooke Adams (SHOCK WAVES/1978 INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS might have been able to pull this off. And felt it better when the Torrances find out about Danny's Shine later in the book instead of at the beginning of the film.
No complaints whatsoever for Scatman Crothers...the perfect choice for Dick, although wish his shine had had more oomph.
THE SHINING has had a lot of debates about its merits and while there could be some changes (Besides cast, pick up the pacing...Kubrick could be very methodical), for the most part, is an extremely good film and has aged much better than many of its comtemporaries. ****1/2
Old 02-08-2019, 10:45 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
THE SHINING (1980). One of my favorite King novels, particularly where Jack is regretting, worrying, trying so hard to overcome his Demons. I found those parts riveting and really hoped he would succeed in his personal/professional life.
This Stanley Kubrick film has SO MANY good things,; the awesome score, wonderful sets, the exquisite photography, the use of the Steadicam and some truly creepy images (Those little girls). Felt at first viewing and still do, that Jack Nicholson really wasn't right for the part, despite several great scenes. Too well known and he starts acting twitchy right after the interview and there's just no empathy for him...think Michael Moriarty would have been a better choice as there is a vulnerability about him. Shelly Duvall has some great scenes (especially when she discovers Jack's work), but too mousy/timid. My impression of Wendy from the book is somewhat beaten, but with inner strength to draw upon. Brooke Adams (SHOCK WAVES/1978 INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS might have been able to pull this off. And felt it better when the Torrances find out about Danny's Shine later in the book instead of at the beginning of the film.
No complaints whatsoever for Scatman Crothers...the perfect choice for Dick, although wish his shine had had more oomph.
THE SHINING has had a lot of debates about its merits and while there could be some changes (Besides cast, pick up the pacing...Kubrick could be very methodical), for the most part, is an extremely good film and has aged much better than many of its comtemporaries. ****1/2
You sound like the perfect person to confirm this, cause I never read the book. I read in the opening of the film Jack's car is different than in the novel (1973 yellow Beetle sedan), but more than that, at one point in the film they pass a wrecked vehicle along the side of the road that is the exact vehicle described in the novel ( red 1974/75 VW Beetle).

The point being, Kubrick is saying, 'this ain't the novel. this is my film'.

I agree there isn't much empathy for him in the film, he's pretty much a twisted freak from the beginning. But I suppose that's on purpose, where Jack is symbolic of other things, rather than our protagonist. And that's what can be seen the film's main fault as a film story, unless one lets the film be nontraditional, so to speak.

Last edited by Sculpt; 02-22-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:25 AM
Evil Dead

Could be Sculpt...really can't picture Kubrick making anything traditional.

DEADLY EMBRACE (1989). Follows the usual plot line of "Erotic Noir" where the hot lonely wife seduces a younger handyman. Not really good in a traditional sense, but better than I thought it would be as the Wife (GORGEOUS Ty Randolph, also seen in 1984 BODY DOUBLE's final scene) is simply starved for affection and her last line I found quite moving. Jan -Michael Vincent is quite the tool in here, but he still looks great, although I heard that he had just finished a rehab stint before this. As for the Young guy, he is extremely bland. This looks better than the regular Dave Decouteau film, although the endless nude footage of Linnea Quigley (normally when Chris is thinking of her) and Michelle Bauer (as the "Female Spirit of Sex"...maybe Dave was getting his Russ Meyer groove on) is really just filler to pad out the running time, but don't think most guys would complain about that. **1/2
Old 02-18-2019, 11:42 PM
Evil Dead

TERROR IN THE WAX MUSEUM (1973). A great cast of old Movie stars (with Elsa Lanchester grabbing the Brass ring) and decent premise is undone by a horribly flabby script that will have You looking around the room, wondering when it will end. *1/2
Old 02-19-2019, 09:34 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
TERROR IN THE WAX MUSEUM (1973). A great cast of old Movie stars (with Elsa Lanchester grabbing the Brass ring) and decent premise is undone by a horribly flabby script that will have You looking around the room, wondering when it will end. *1/2
(In the trailer you hear a woman yelling this at an attacker in this really funny deliver.) "What are ya doin?!"

The Verdict (1982)
8/10

Paul Newman plays a lawyer who got hurt trying to do the right thing, lost his wife and became a drinker. His buddy gives him a money making case, where a woman is left in a vegetative state because an operation went wrong. The hospital is owned by the RC and offer them a medium-low settlement, but seeing the patient encourages him to fight for justice instead of a payout. I thought this was pretty good, but not as intense as I was expecting; especially the in court scenes were a bit reserved compared to some other great court films. This was nominated for a lot of awards, but I wouldn't consider this a top 10 courtroom dramas.

Last edited by Sculpt; 02-22-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:05 PM
This is a test

HOUSE OF THE DEAD AKA ALIEN ZONE 1978

Pretty tame made-for-tv horror anthology.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:41 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
(In the trailer you hear a woman yelling this at an attack in this really funny deliver.) "What are ya doin?!"

The Verdict (1982)
8/10

Paul Newman plays a lawyer who got hurt trying to do the right thing, lost his wife and became a drinker. His buddy gives him a money making case, where a woman is left in a vegetative state because an operation went wrong. The hospital is owned by the RC and offer them a medium-low settlement, but seeing the patient encourages him to fight for justice instead of a payout. I thought this was pretty good, but not as intense as I was expecting; especially the in court scenes were a bit reserved compared to some other great court films. This was nominated for a lot of awards, but I wouldn't consider this a top 10 courtroom dramas.
Have heard this was pretty good..will have to check it out. Usually like Court films.
ONE CRAZY SUMMER (1986). This doesn't seem to get a lot of respect, but I think it's great. Unsure John Cusack spends the summer on Nantucket with friends trying to help singer Demi Moore save her Grandfather's house from greedy property grabbers. Tons of sight gags (a highlight is Bobcat Goldthwait going undercover, as it were...just inspired!), a decent story, a young Demi Moore singing (and not bad at all either) and an awesome soundtrack with The Beach Boys, ZZ Top, CCR, the Safari's and even Twisted Sister, among others! ****
Old 02-24-2019, 05:37 PM
This is a test

THE BURNING 1981

A caretaker for a summer camp is burned alive by a prank gone wrong. After a 5 year recovery period, he returns in search of revenge. Pretty good with a few recognizable faces.