Old 03-28-2018, 07:38 PM
Talkin' horror. #JOIN

Thumbs up

I think it depends on the story being told. Sometimes fast zombies are alright, sometimes them being slow is preferable. Personally, I like slower zombies, because I feel like that'd be most "scientifically" accurate haha

But I love the 2004 Dawn of the Dead. Absolutely great remake. This, 300 and Watchmen are what made Zack Snyder the star he is today - and rightfully so. It's just unfortunate that just about everything he released after those 3 movies ended up absolute trash.

But for sure, Dawn of the Dead rules.

Last edited by STTC2K18; 03-28-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:00 AM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

I have nothing against fast zombies I mean Dawn of the Dead remake wasn't even the first movie to have them look at The Return of the Living Dead. However I still hated it, I think that the original was better and even the original wasn't one of my top 5 favorite zombie movies.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:48 AM
Talkin' horror. #JOIN

They were slow zombies in the original Dawn right? It was only the Snyder remake that made them fast?

I vastly prefer slow zombies, and the usual "reanimated dead" versions of zombies, but I love the Dawn of the Dead remake - despite them being fast zombies. That, 300 & Watchmen were the peak of Snyder's career - it's been all downhill since then.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:49 AM
Talkin' horror. #JOIN

Also just realized I already posted in this thread lol
Old 06-04-2018, 08:02 AM
Evil Dead

Living Dead titles

I've heard Dan O'Bannon, director of Return of the Living Dead, made a deal with Romero that O'Bannon could use Living Dead in his titles, and Romero would just use Dead.

How could Return of the living dead have a sequel, considering how the first movie ends? (I almost did a spoiler.)

I love that line from the ads for return of the living dead: "They're not angry...they're just hungry!"
Old 06-04-2018, 01:19 PM
Evil Dead

For me, fast vs slow zombies depends on the type of movie. In a genuine horror movie I need fast zombies. The threat isn't real enough with slow zombies. But if the tone is lighter, than slow zombies work better.

A movie like Versus, the zombies are slow enough that everyone is trying to look cool as they kill them.

But a movie like 28 Days Later works as a great horror because the zombies are such a terrifying threat, endlessly chasing you down at speed.

The Walking Dead doesn't work for me because I don't see the zombies as a genuine threat. You can power-walk away from them. Slow zombies only really work in a confined space such as a shopping mall.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:13 AM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

What makes slow zombies a dangerous threat is that they grow into such large numbers and you can't possibly kill all of them when they surround you. I agree that fast zombies would technically be more dangerous but most movies with fast zombies border on being action movies and not true horror movies.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:26 AM
Evil Dead

zombies have changed

Before 1968, there was nothing scary about the West Indian concept of the zombie. In movies like "I walked with a zombie," the zombie itself is not threatening, just the idea that somebody wants to turn you into one. that, of course, can be pretty scary, as in "The serpent and the rainbow":

"Don't let them bury me. I'm not dead!"

But the zombie itself was just a guy who had been raised from the dead so he could work in the canefields, from the employer's point of view the perfect employee: You don't pay him, he doesn't eat much, he doesn't go on strike. Let's see...I think the idea was that if the zombie gets any meat to eat, he remembers that he's dead, and goes back and lies back down in his grave.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:44 AM
Evil Dead

The zombie is a symbol of our own mortality. Hence slow. Death for most of us will come slowly. Romero said we are the walking dead because we know we are going to die. We see the zombies coming and we know, after a while, we will die.

Like life.

Last edited by fudgetusk; 06-06-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:45 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Anything (un)dead like a zombie, ghost, or vampire has been scaring humans for centuries because they remind us of the fact that we will all be dead one day too. Humans are terrified of death but at the same time they have a fascination with it which is probably why ghoulish monsters have always been so popular in works of horror.