Old 03-31-2011, 05:42 AM
Little Boo

Carnival of Souls 3D

Hi Everyone,
To those interested, I recently completed a 3D conversion of the cult classic Carnival of Souls. More information at my blog below.

http://2d23dconversions-carnivalofsouls3d.blogspot.com/

Also, I'm currently working on converting House on Haunted Hill to 3D. It's early days and I reckon I have another 10 months work on it.

I've been a horror film fan since a kid, growing up watching the Universal Classic Monster films, Hammer Horror, Amicus, Roger Corman Poe movies and later films from the likes of John Carpenter. Also, a big fan of Ray Harryhausen and the original King Kong movie.

Most recent horror that I really liked was the first "Wrong Turn" film. Great feeling of tension and impending dread throughout it.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:29 PM
Cranky

Worst idea ever.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 04-02-2011, 03:14 AM
Little Boo

Quote:
Worst idea ever.
Thank you for your insight.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:35 AM
Whip In My Valise

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Worst idea ever.
I have to agree. It's equivalent to colorizing Casablanca.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:34 AM
AsteroidsDoNotConcernMe

I will admit, Carnival of Souls is not my choice of a good movie to 3D-ify. Why? Because the horror in the story is really in the character's head, more than it is physically "there."

I would much rather, seriously, see a good 3D-converted version of Night of the Living Dead. No, the idea of doing that to a classic doesn't offend me; not at this point. NOTLD's status is pretty much beyond question, and any altered versions merely become a refreshing variation on how to watch the flick. I have two different colorized versions of NOTLD, and I like both of them. A really good 3D conversion, I think, would scare the hell out of people...

Friend....gooooood!

Old 04-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to missmacabre
I agree, 3D is for creature features and b-movies. Of all the 3D movies to come out recently, I only went to see Piranha 3D because I knew it would add to the camp and hilarity. In everything else, I don't think it's necessary at all. 3D can be fun but it can also be a distraction, and Carnival of Souls is really a movie you should sit back and immerse yourself in. (It's my favourite movie though, so I'm no doubt biased.)
Old 04-10-2011, 10:05 AM
AsteroidsDoNotConcernMe

Yeah...yeah...you see what I mean...in Carnival of Souls, I am not so much concerned with a physical threat or of something moving through physical space to attack. It is more an internal, mental situation, and the girl is trying to push an idea away. That's why, I think, the proposal to enhance for 3D seems a little off the point.

NOTLD, on the other hand, aside from its socio-political resonance, is very much about direct physical threats moving through space and trying to get into your physical space. So enhancing the film to accentuate that feeling of depth makes a great deal of sense, I feel.

Friend....gooooood!

Old 06-15-2011, 04:11 AM
Little Boo

Quote:
Of all the 3D movies 3D can be fun but it can also be a distraction, and Carnival of Souls is really a movie you should sit back and immerse yourself in.
Well with regards "immersing yourself", if the 3D has contributed anything at all, it is exactly that. You feel more a part of Mary's world and share her feelings on a deeper level in this 3D version. That's how I see it anyway. Also, the open, spacious shots of Saltair (both exterior and interior) really work well and add to Mary's feeling of isolation, trapped in her ghostly reality.

Saltair 3D anaglyph by CarnivalofSouls3D, on Flickr

Some of the most successful 3D shots surprisingly are of the interior rooms where you feel as though you are a part of the space. Ironically, it's at these times, when the 3D effect isn't that crucial, that some of the best moments occur. It all adds to the feeling of immersion though.

Mary and the Landlady by CarnivalofSouls3D, on Flickr

I do believe though that in any film, 3D makes the brain more active and even heightens the drama....but you have to allow it to happen and let yourself be immersed. People who don't like 3D watch 3D movies with a closed or negative mind and so they will never allow themselves to enjoy and indulge in the extra dimension.
I am very proud of this conversion and the work that I put into it. It is not for all tastes, but that's fine....each to their own.

With regards NOTLD, I considered converting this movie but I was under the impression that it had already been converted (by Passmore Labs I think) and even had a theatrical release a couple of years ago. At the moment, I'll continue with "House on Haunted Hill" even though conversion of this one is much slower than COS.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:09 PM
Living Dead

I think they should leave the classics alone. It seems to me that 3-d and colorazation takes something away from them. Theres one exception, that was Fort Apache they colorized and the Monument Valley backdrop came out very well, it should have been color to begin with.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:29 PM
From The Beyond

This pro or anti colorization argument is redundant if you've seen the film Kafka.