Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Upcoming Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-10-2007, 10:37 PM
For Vendetta

The Latest Remakes thread

Since Hollywood is hellbent on pouring out a dozen by the day, it makes sense to have a thread devoted to all the rumored remakes in the works. That way new threads wont be needed to made over every remake there is out there.

You got news of a latest remake in the making? Bring it here.

The latest rumors abuzz in this "area" is -

Piranha (which is more than confirmed),

Back to the Future (dont ask me),

Grease (and we need this because?),

Gremlins (I wont even go into this one),

Total Recall (yes you read THAT right...and yep, the Arnie one),

Escape From New York (How the hell will this work is beyond me),

Near Dark (Michael Bay is bringing this...you DID expect it from him),

Shocker (Wes Craven is "re-imagining" it...dont ask more),

The Stepfather (by Sony Screen Gems...more like screen garbage),

Funny Games (releasing in Feb next year),

Jacob's Ladder (which has already got a director and started casting)...

I guess I can understand why films like "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" , "The Italian Job", "Sleuth", "Death Race 2000" and "Ocean's Eleven" deserve to be remade - for starters, they're pretty old flicks now. And for the most part, they're terribly dated. If Hollywood was restricted to only doing remakes over films over thirty years old... it might be better (but then again... look what happened to "Psycho"!).

But, to remake films like "Can't Buy Me Love" (done a couple of years ago as "Love Don't Cost a Thing"), "Near Dark" (coming up from Michael Bay's crowd), "Shocker" (which Wes Craven is working on - it didn't work first time around Wes!), "Halloween" (nobody liked it! how's that for a hint?) and don't even get me started on "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"!

If you must remake a classic.... make them different, make them their own thing... don't just Xerox the original (we could all learn something from Martin Scorsese's remake of "Infernal Affairs" or Adam Shankman's remake of "Hairspray"), its both pointless and pilfy.

So yes, "Piranha" makes sense..

It and about three of the four-hundred other remakes in the works...:rolleyes:

Last edited by _____V_____; 09-10-2007 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:46 PM
HDC Resident Cynic

I watched Shocker on cable a few months ago. I liked it when I was a kid, but it does NOT stand the test of time.
However, If Craven is directing the remake. I will rent it. :o
Old 09-10-2007, 10:50 PM
HDC Resident Cynic

:eek: Jacob's Ladder :eek:
One of my personal favorites. It's to early to remake Jacob's Ladder - IMO.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:28 AM
a bloody mess

don't know why they're doing a remake of piranha - it wasn't that great, just mildly entertaining. although i am curious now that alexander aja is the writter/director...

1) Candyman
2) American Werewolf In London
3) Evil Dead 2
4) Hellraiser
5) Night Of The Living Dead
6) Jaws
7) Ginger Snaps 2
8) Dead Alive
9) Halloween
10) The Omen

t-pot
Old 09-13-2007, 10:48 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to jenna26
I read sometime back that The People Under the Stairs was getting a remake as well, anyone know if that is still planned? (I actually really like the first one, goofy as it is.....:p )
Old 09-13-2007, 12:32 PM
a bloody mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna26 View Post
I read sometime back that The People Under the Stairs was getting a remake as well, anyone know if that is still planned? (I actually really like the first one, goofy as it is.....:p )
they haven't named any writers, directors, producers, etc. all i've seen is that midnight pictures - associated w/ rogue pictures, will put out the movie.

that movie is only 16 years old!!! ridiculous, completely ridiculous...

1) Candyman
2) American Werewolf In London
3) Evil Dead 2
4) Hellraiser
5) Night Of The Living Dead
6) Jaws
7) Ginger Snaps 2
8) Dead Alive
9) Halloween
10) The Omen

t-pot
Old 09-13-2007, 05:05 PM
whatever gets you through

Quote:
Originally Posted by illdojo View Post
:eek: Jacob's Ladder :eek:
One of my personal favorites. It's to early to remake Jacob's Ladder - IMO.
theatrical re-release - - yes. remake - no
Old 09-13-2007, 05:24 PM
HDC Resident Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
theatrical re-release - - yes. remake - no
Hmm....No Shit???
Old 09-17-2007, 08:49 PM
For Vendetta

- Samuel Bayer will in fact helm Rogue Pictures' Near Dark remake for Platinum Dunes. Bayer directed music videos for The Smashing Pumpkins, Metallica, Green Day, Garbage and many others.

- Damian Shannon and Mark Swift, the duo behind New Line Cinema's successful Freddy vs Jason, have both been attached to write a new screenplay for Platinum Dunes' remake of Friday the 13th. Watch for more news as it develops and keep your fingers crossed for Jason Voorhees back in theaters in 2008.

- Ian McShane (Case 39), Natalie Martinez, Max Ryan, Jason Clarke and Fred Koehler will join Jason Statham, Tyrese Gibson, Joan Allen and John Fallon in Paul W.S Anderson's Death Race remake, which began shooting August 28 and will wrap around November 1 in Montreal, Canada. Set in a future version of America, a prisoner (Statham) who is weeks away from being released is forced by his warden (Allen) to compete in a brutal, deadly car race alongside his fellow inmates.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:57 PM
For Vendetta

"You have to have FAITH for that to work...Misssster Vinccccent, remember?" spits vampire Jerry Dandrige in the face of a holy cross held by Peter Vincent in Tom Holland's Fright Night. And, for this rabid "Night" fan, faith is something I've held onto during these dark days of Hollywood remakes. Faith that the Fright Night property would go untouched. Un-"remade."

Screw that.

ShockTillYouDrop.com discovered Sony's Screen Gems is sifting through Hollywood's supply of writers for a Fright Night redo. But this one, from the sounds of it, is "in name only."

A sundry of sources tell us executive producer Scott Strauss who may or may not still be attached and who recently shepherded Breach, starring Ryan Phillippe, and executive produced Robert Englund's Killer Pad, wants to take Fright Night in a different direction. One involving an amusement park in some way.