Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-28-2017, 05:52 AM
Evil Dead

GRUMPY OLD MEN (1993). Decent comedy that could have been better...some scenes weren't really needed. However, I like the cast (Jack Lemmon was a favorite...he always seemed so vulnerable and for Ann-Margret ) and there are some genuinely funny moments. Stick around for the end credits. ***
Old 07-28-2017, 07:27 AM
Evil Dead

Bitch Massacre

Last edited by Amalthea_unicorn; 07-28-2017 at 07:30 AM.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:36 PM
病気の

It Stains the Sands Red, 2017. 7/10

Thumb resize.

Not a bad film, a different look at the zombie genre.

Plotdigger FX did the effects and Ryan Nicholson had a part as a zombie.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:45 PM
病気の

Shot Caller, 2017. 7,5/10

Thumb resize.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:21 AM
Evil Dead

Murder set pieces
Der kleine RabeSocke 2
Old 07-29-2017, 10:29 AM
病気の

The Devil Lives Here, 2016. 7/10

Old 07-29-2017, 11:55 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Dunkirk (2017)

As for the 'critical praise' goes, I understand Nolan tried to capture here a macro point of view of the historic event/evacuation story of Dunkirk but it turned out another disappointment (after Interstellar)! Thing is most of the epic & classic war movies comes with an individual or a set of characters, backed up by a rich screenplay that eventually made us started to care for them while we witnessed the horror of war to gradually unfold with a graceful touch of heart or humanity at some point in the story. In Nolan's Dunkirk, the single character development was minor issue with mere importance, as I guess he was more interested to depict the event as a "character" itself that's facing a struggle to survive in one of the most awfully cornered situations in the history of world wars for an allied force. Most of the "major characters" were either desperately trying to escape or determined to follow the course of their duties without much portraying emotional aspects of their convictions. Frustrating part is, after all these years it was a great opportunity (missed!) for a film maker like Nolan to really make a remarkably true epic war movie based on such an intriguing war event like Dunkirk...started from the point of Nazi war plan to skillfully corner the Brit & French allied force and their historic rescues at the end! I understand that not every war movie needs to be character driven with great cast like PATTON, RIVER KWAI, SAVING PRIVATE RYAN or SCHINDLER'S LIST and there was even war film made in such approach where they remarkably portrayed an horrifying event of war without much focusing a set of characters i.e. COME AND SEE (one of the best war movies ever made, IMO) but Dunkirk sadly failed to left any sort of moving impression on me as a viewer.

Though the presence was there but directly (with characters) there wasn't much portrayal of German enemy side in Dunkirk. The irony is actually the 'real enemy' were flat & one dimensional characters and the only real winner in this movie was cinematography, stunning!

>>: B

Last edited by roshiq; 07-29-2017 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:37 PM
This is a test

BESETMENT 2016

An old woman's intentions are perverse and taboo when she hires on a young woman to work at her small-town hotel.

Parts were cringeworthy but I enjoyed it.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:51 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
Dunkirk (2017)

As for the 'critical praise' goes, I understand Nolan tried to capture here a macro point of view of the historic event/evacuation story of Dunkirk but it turned out another disappointment (after Interstellar)! Thing is most of the epic & classic war movies comes with an individual or a set of characters, backed up by a rich screenplay that eventually made us started to care for them while we witnessed the horror of war to gradually unfold with a graceful touch of heart or humanity at some point in the story. In Nolan's Dunkirk, the single character development was minor issue with mere importance, as I guess he was more interested to depict the event as a "character" itself that's facing a struggle to survive in one of the most awfully cornered situations in the history of world wars for an allied force. Most of the "major characters" were either desperately trying to escape or determined to follow the course of their duties without much portraying emotional aspects of their convictions. Frustrating part is, after all these years it was a great opportunity (missed!) for a film maker like Nolan to really make a remarkably true epic war movie based on such an intriguing war event like Dunkirk...started from the point of Nazi war plan to skillfully corner the Brit & French allied force and their historic rescues at the end! I understand that not every war movie needs to be character driven with great cast like PATTON, RIVER KWAI, SAVING PRIVATE RYAN or SCHINDLER'S LIST and there was even war film made in such approach where they remarkably portrayed an horrifying event of war without much focusing a set of characters i.e. COME AND SEE (one of the best war movies ever made, IMO) but Dunkirk sadly failed to left any sort of moving impression on me as a viewer.

Though the presence was there but directly (with characters) there wasn't much portrayal of German enemy side in Dunkirk. The irony is actually the 'real enemy' were flat & one dimensional characters and the only real winner in this movie was cinematography, stunning!

>>: B
Interesting points. I have always been interested in films that let the historical events be the story, rather than the characters. Straight history documentaries tend to be exactly that, especially war docs.

I'm not quite sure what you mean in your post at times. I understood you were saying Dunkirk isn't very character driven, and they aren't very emotional. What are you saying is missing from Dunkirk, in regards to the 'missed opportunity'? That it didn't display the Nasi side, the historical/military context, that it didn't offer the Nasi military as an interesting protaganist?

It's of course very typical of Hollywood war films to be extremely character driven, like Saving Ryan and Schindler's List. Beyond the characters, the film expresses things about humanity, but very little about the historical event.

I haven't seen Dunkirk, but sounds like Nolan was going for a 'you were there' experience as the basis for the audiences' entertainment (which is probably the basic element of a horror film); with some 'horrors of war', 'help your fellow man' and 'duty' thrown in.

Oh, and are you saying you didn't like Intersteller?

Last edited by Sculpt; 07-29-2017 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:52 PM
病気の

Panopticon, 2015. 7/10

Tags
movie