Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Upcoming Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-01-2006, 06:21 AM
VaBusa

I see that today they've updated the horrorfestonline site to say "tickets go on sale soon" when yesterday it said "tickets on sale October 31st"

I'd say they're not quite ready yet... :)
Old 11-01-2006, 07:54 AM
Scares Little Kids

About the Marketing

OK, so this is my first online discussion about this experiment, as what After Dark Films is doing is quite a step in what I would call the right direction, however...

I've often thought about self-releasing a film in theatres for a limited run, say 5 cities in 5 weeks, or something like that. The primary goal of this would not necessarily be to make money on the theatrical, but instead to build "brand awareness" of my title. It is widely known that theatrical distribution, and the advertising that goes along with that, is directly linked to a big rise in PPV and DVD Rental revenue.

It is obvious that After Dark is looking for this same response, as they are pumping a LOT of cash into advertising. Their posters are EVERYWHERE! Ultimately, even if they sell out every screening in every city, I find it VERY hard to believe that they'll make the money back that they've spent on advertising. (You've all seen the billboards all over town, in EVERY city in the US, and on high-volume high-profile websites.) And that's even if the screenings SELL OUT in every city.

So, what strikes me as odd is that the marketing for the theatrical screenings do not reflect the actual films themselves. Don't misunderstand me: I do LOVE the marketing they've designed for the screenings. It's sexy and well-done, and I think the main reason that people are talking about it. What I mean is that it's not creating brand-awareness for the titles themselves, and the billboards don't even really highlight After Dark Films. Unless they homogenize all of the individual film box covers to reflect the phrase "8 Films to Die For," I'm not sure how this push helps sell more DVDs.

I love that they're putting money into advertising, as we all know that this is usually the first thing to be thrown out when dealing with indie horror distributors. Furthermore, I would LOVE for my film to be distributed in theatres ANY way I could get. What I don't get is how this will really affect the return in the long run...

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

Jim