Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Contributors, Articles & Others > Contributor's Corner
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-14-2008, 04:32 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Blech....can't say that I agree with you on Jesse James.

I dont have a problem with slow paced movies, just so long as there is something to keep your attention. Aside from Casey Affleck + some beautiful cinematography, this film really didn't have anything going for it. The script was painful, most of the cast seemed bored out of their skulls, and the score was just flat out bland.

It started to pick up a little bit after the titular event, but by that point it was already a lost cause IMO.

Still, I'll freely admit that Affleck was incredible...deserved his nomination for sure. Can't quite understand why they classified him as "Supporting Actor" though....
Old 09-08-2008, 11:24 AM
Zydrate Anatomy

I started writing these reviews, which got totally waylayed by working on Battle Royale for the Undead, then I got married and was away for awhile and had to catch up on work.

I finally feel like I have the time to catch up on some reviews here and then kind of make it a weekly thing.

So, my first review in awhile will be posted up later today, and I hope to actually get a couple done this week. :)
Old 09-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Zydrate Anatomy

Them (2006)

Directors: David Moreau & Xavier Palud

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFTbcDRkG1o

Clementine (Olivia Bonamy) returns home from work, and she and her boyfriend, Lucas (Michael Cohen) settle down for the night. After they go to bed, they are awakened by music from downstairs.

Lucas goes downstairs to investigate, and the TV is on. It soon becomes apparent that they are not alone in the house, and their quiet night at home becomes a fight for their lives.

This French film further dictates that France is becoming a leader (if they are not there already) in the horror genre. The tension in this film starts early on and doesn't let up until the credits roll.

With no background music at all, the eeriness is created by "Them" through flashes of light and clicks of noise. It is rare to find a film where sound (not music) is used so specifically to create a mood.

The terror felt by Clemetine and Lucas is empathetic as you only know what they know at that particular moment. It is not even clear until later in the film whether "Them" are indeed people terrorizing them or something else entirely.

This film truly explores the idea of fear of the unknown and that what you can't see can be scarier than what you can. Definitely recommended.