Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-25-2012, 07:13 PM
Hellraiser

Suggestion: Critical Work/Theory

Hey! So, I'm new to the site, and after poking around a bit, I noticed there isn't a section offering critical works or theories. I'm honestly not much of a primary source kinda guy. I'd rather talk theory, and when there's an analytical source nearby, I like to include it.

What I'm asking is, why not a theory-crafting section? Too much? Ok...
Old 11-26-2012, 09:51 AM
From The Beyond

Not a bad idea we get a lot of people here looking for help with studies (to talk theory and analysis)-maybe use the contributor's corner? That's a dead in the water forum so it might be worth a try?
Old 11-26-2012, 12:23 PM
Hellraiser

Doesn't the name imply a hierarchy within the site(being contributors), so it only applies to them? Sounds to me like that's the problem with the section. If I start posting in a section, I'd hope the section title references the work inside. Is that possible?
Old 11-27-2012, 01:28 PM
Hellraiser

Theory section?

Hey guys! I've already posted this concept in the suggestion section, but I want to see if you guys have a similar interest in theoretical work. I notice that we have all these great sections of the forum dedicated to the different subgenres and utilizations of horror, but is anyone else interested in critical articles, theory crafting and scholarly journals on the subject? Is it just me? I'd love to hear what you guys think.

And if there's any interest, I can scan some delicious materials from my array of texts and copy some works off my university's servers before I graduate(hehehe >=]). Just to fill the jar, ya know? ^^

If you have questions or want to talk here about what I'm talking about, please, wind me up =)
Old 11-27-2012, 02:15 PM
mostly ghostly?

I'm definitely interested, and ideally it'd be nice to have more of this kind of stuff in the forums.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:29 PM
Horror Fan

Yes, I too am interested. What are some journals that are receptive to articles on horror?
Old 11-27-2012, 04:48 PM
From The Beyond

Unfortunately no-only the admins have that power and they are long MIA. No one can any longer make any contributions to this site from that forum. You could try PM'ing one of the admins-horror/el gato/sonador but many have tried sending multiple PMs to all three and never get any response-it's sad

Last edited by Fearonsarms; 11-27-2012 at 04:50 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Hellraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post
Yes, I too am interested. What are some journals that are receptive to articles on horror?
Well, I'm not exactly an expert on the specifics, but I personally enjoy scholarly work found in databases and in text books.

Seems that there's a Horror Writers Association, as their name's printed on one of my books, but who knows how to use Google these days? I sure as hell don't! haha =D

For what I can offer, it would mostly be through books or specific topics I could scan off my school's databases. You want horror? I'll give a list of what's there and you can pick something off for me to copy pasta. I only have 2 weeks left here though... so... that's a problem. BOOKS THOUGH! Hooray books =D
Old 11-27-2012, 05:35 PM
Hellraiser

Holy shit. I just looked up the Horror Writer's Association and they're our doppleganger.

HORROR.ORG O_O
Old 11-27-2012, 05:56 PM
whatever gets you through

i can dig it

HWA has some nonfiction/theory stuff but is mainly fiction writers