Old 07-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Dracula Has Risen from the Grave (1968)

A darkly Gothic thriller piece of Dracula from Hammer. Simply fantastic! And I think its got the most funniest tag line in the series...You just can't keep a good man down!:D Loved it!

>>: B+
Old 07-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Cranky

I remember seeing this in the theatre. Especially loved the opening!

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 07-09-2009, 06:42 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
The Undying Monster
Old 07-09-2009, 08:27 PM
balllls

Send a message via AIM to hacelikewhoa
Watched House of Frankenstein(1944) earlier.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacelikewhoa View Post
Watched House of Frankenstein(1944) earlier.
Your thoughts?
Old 07-11-2009, 12:53 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Eyes Without a Face [Les Yeux sans Visage] (1960)

A compelling and brilliant combination of French art film and shock horror…the movie is surely a benchmark in horror film making. What puts Eyes without a face into the level of a masterpiece is through the passion the story been portrayed, the performances, direction, photography, lightings - all bond together and create a world where fragile & lyrical beauty is periodically shattered by clinical horror; where a family of three is desperately struggling to restore the ‘beauty & freshness’ of life through unbearable pains & crimes. They are fighting with the inner guilt of their true nature & hopes by hiding their faces through seen & unseen masks.

Can we fully label Doctor Genessier as a monster or completely mad scientist?…besides his hideous schemes we also see him as a caring doctor attentively treating a young boy at the hospital and performing his duty seriously. It was all about how far people can go to protect, help or to do anything for their love ones when they are suffering every moment in the guilt of ruining their lives by their own hands.

Sometimes a movie opens with a shivering moment so perfect that you just know that no matter what happens, there is going to more sinister things waiting for you next. But this is a film that gives you more than that. The most famous sequence is the skin graft operation, which is handled in a single, uninterrupted shot. The imagery...a face literally being dissected from a head...is guaranteed to send even modern audiences into disgust, squirming and preventing their eyes from the screen.

This is my first Georges Franju film and I’m totally amazed by his beautiful unique sense of art - nowhere more evident than in the final shot of the film when Christiane wandering free through the night, her mask discarded but her face seen only by the dogs at her feet and the dove on her shoulder – a poetic finale of a landmark of Horror.

I’m truly glad that I didn’t go for any online viewing or a pirated dvd copy for this rather than bought the original criterion dvd from e-bay which includes some excellent features..specially Franju’s Blood of the Beasts, a documentary short about the brutal methods Paris slaughterhouses used to butcher meat…a truly breath taking & unforgettable experience!

>>: A+

The Invisible Man (1933)

Really…how did they do it...at that time?!? Whale & his team done such a wonderful job with H.G Wells' sci-fi horror masterpiece that made me still wondering… how did they do it at 30s?. A total sign of real craftsmanship to pull-off the invisibility gags seen in the movie. To me, none is more impressive than the first time we get a glimpse under the bandages while he’s eating and we see no lower jaw. Fantastic impressive stuff indeed for today!
The Invisible actor..Claude Rains spends much of the film either under the cover of bandages or not even in it, but it doesn't matter because it's not him but his voice that makes the performance. The magic of his voice is compelling and pure evil, and I’m not sure that whether there was a better man there for this role.
The Invisible Man is one of the hallmarks of achievements in cinema history that still manages to thrill more than 75 years later!

>>: A
Old 07-11-2009, 04:20 AM
Cranky

Wonderful reviews both Roshiq- for a pair of masterpiece movies.

Claude Rains is a truly gifted actor- in everything from this film, to The Wolfman, Casablanca, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington- everything he appears in he brings such authority and assurance.

Indeed, what he does in Invisible Man by creating such an evil character with only his voice is a work of art.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 07-11-2009, 10:25 AM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
Eyes Without a Face [Les Yeux sans Visage] (1960)

A compelling and brilliant combination of French art film and shock horror…the movie is surely a benchmark in horror film making. What puts Eyes without a face into the level of a masterpiece is through the passion the story been portrayed, the performances, direction, photography, lightings - all bond together and create a world where fragile & lyrical beauty is periodically shattered by clinical horror; where a family of three is desperately struggling to restore the ‘beauty & freshness’ of life through unbearable pains & crimes. They are fighting with the inner guilt of their true nature & hopes by hiding their faces through seen & unseen masks.

Can we fully label Doctor Genessier as a monster or completely mad scientist?…besides his hideous schemes we also see him as a caring doctor attentively treating a young boy at the hospital and performing his duty seriously. It was all about how far people can go to protect, help or to do anything for their love ones when they are suffering every moment in the guilt of ruining their lives by their own hands.

Sometimes a movie opens with a shivering moment so perfect that you just know that no matter what happens, there is going to more sinister things waiting for you next. But this is a film that gives you more than that. The most famous sequence is the skin graft operation, which is handled in a single, uninterrupted shot. The imagery...a face literally being dissected from a head...is guaranteed to send even modern audiences into disgust, squirming and preventing their eyes from the screen.

This is my first Georges Franju film and I’m totally amazed by his beautiful unique sense of art - nowhere more evident than in the final shot of the film when Christiane wandering free through the night, her mask discarded but her face seen only by the dogs at her feet and the dove on her shoulder – a poetic finale of a landmark of Horror.

I’m truly glad that I didn’t go for any online viewing or a pirated dvd copy for this rather than bought the original criterion dvd from e-bay which includes some excellent features..specially Franju’s Blood of the Beasts, a documentary short about the brutal methods Paris slaughterhouses used to butcher meat…a truly breath taking & unforgettable experience!

>>: A+
Alright, bud! Glad you enjoyed it so much. Great review, by the way.

Blood of the Beasts
is such a powerful piece, too. It's filmed like a horror movie!
Old 07-14-2009, 05:21 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Tales of Terror (1962)

Vincent Price is excellent in all three roles and thus anthology films like Tales of Terror & Twice Told Tales are the significant evidences that proves just how great and diverse a performer the late Mr. Price actually was.
Glad to see interaction between Price and Peter Lorre in The Black Cat. The special effects including the sequence in Morella where the spirit of the dead wife emerges through dark cobwebbed corridors in sinister shadow or in The Black Cat where the murderer has a nightmare in which his victims have beheaded him and are tossing it from one to the other and the man is still crying out give me back my head with the headless body chasing it and the face still alive with expressions...won't able to forget for a long time.

Among the three fascinating tales of Poe I enjoyed The Case Of M. Valdemar most, great to see Basil Rathbone as Carmichael...what a plot..hypnotizing at the point of death!!

>>: A-
Old 07-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Evil Dead

The Mummy's Tomb (1942)

My Review