Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Games

Old 10-31-2008, 06:11 AM
Fear scented candle

Games that scare/scared you

Its All Hallows Eve, so i figured this would be a good time to talk about games that scared the ever living shit out of you. I am thinking more of games that filled you with an overall sense of dread through out rather than a few jumping moments.

For starters:

FEAR. Of course. Although it has some of the best all out action of any game i have ever played, the sequences with Alma, Paxton and the Shades (for lack of a better term) Have in some cases left me shaking. They managed to take everything that was scary about movies like the Ring and put them into a game. The Add-on Extraction Point builds on the original game perfectly, and when two of the character's from the original meet their end in it, it is heartbreaking for one, and just pants-shitting scary for the other. If you havent played it, go get it.

Quake. Between the zombies fiends and shamblers, i would sit in a protected corner for minutes soemtimes waiting to get the courage to get chased down and slaughtered. And of course, the fiends always liked to attack in the dark or in hallways with strobes...

They Hunger, 1,2,3:
The greatest Single PLayer mod ever for any game, ever. Neil Manke and his team were obviously die hard fans of classic horror movies and NOTLD. It is one of the most atmospheric games I have ever played. What it lacks in sophistication it more than makes up for in originality and great zombie kills.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:23 AM
Evil Dead

Fatal Frame

It scared me really bad the first time I played it. After that, it didn't really affect me.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:36 AM
Fear scented candle

I am a ridiculously sensitive human being, so i rarely get desensitized to games. It took close to 30 or 40 times through quake for me to stop jumping (i didnt have much of a life back then).

I consider myself lucky in that regard because i still get that "new" feeling from games after playing through several times.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:50 AM
For Vendetta

Fatal Frame had some genuinely jumpy moments.

I thought Doom 3 had some "Jesus!" moments too.

FEAR was good, although I wasnt scared too much...the ending had me watching with my mouth open though.

I guess I was a bit shaky while playing Clive Barker's Undying. Some of the sequences, coupled with the background scores, had me uncomfortable and squirming more than once.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:11 AM
Banned

Doom 3...lots of atmosphere

Fear had some creepy moments

There was one part in Resident Evil that made me jump

The Ravenholm level in Half Life 2 had some real tense parts

and just two nights ago...I was playing Far Cry 2...now this isn't what you would call a "scary" game...but I was buzzing along in a boat on the river when I decided to pull over to the shore and get off....as I'm pulling up to the river bank a fucking car comes flying over this little hill and just misses my head by inches and lands in the water neat to my boat.....scared the shit out of me.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:02 AM
Fear scented candle

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
Doom 3...lots of atmosphere

Fear had some creepy moments

There was one part in Resident Evil that made me jump

The Ravenholm level in Half Life 2 had some real tense parts

and just two nights ago...I was playing Far Cry 2...now this isn't what you would call a "scary" game...but I was buzzing along in a boat on the river when I decided to pull over to the shore and get off....as I'm pulling up to the river bank a fucking car comes flying over this little hill and just misses my head by inches and lands in the water neat to my boat.....scared the shit out of me.
I read about this game over a year ago and they had me drooling over the realistic fire the same way Bioshock had me drooling over the water. Supposedly, it would ignite brush and spread in teh wind realisticly. Does it?
Old 10-31-2008, 08:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodstok View Post
I read about this game over a year ago and they had me drooling over the realistic fire the same way Bioshock had me drooling over the water. Supposedly, it would ignite brush and spread in teh wind realisticly. Does it?
somewhat.....I haven't got the flamethrower yet but I have tossed a couple of molotovs....nice effect
Old 10-31-2008, 08:32 AM
Fear scented candle

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
somewhat.....I haven't got the flamethrower yet but I have tossed a couple of molotovs....nice effect
If i remember correctly, I think the demo i read about was using a physics card, so I imagine it would be ridiculously realistic.

if only I had 20 grand for a new pc...
Old 10-31-2008, 09:14 AM
Evil Dead

Undying
Quake 1
Sonic the Hedgehog (yknow...when you're running outta air, the panic sets in)
5 days a stranger
Alien resurrection
Land of the dead (gameplay not great, atmosphere awesome)
nosferatu - wrath of malakai
The Thing
Old 10-31-2008, 09:53 AM
Fear scented candle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
Sonic the Hedgehog (yknow...when you're running outta air, the panic sets in)
I completely get this one. Sometimes, those damn bubbles just couldnt come fast enough.