Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > True Crime

Old 03-20-2006, 08:12 PM
Umbra Asylum

Send a message via Yahoo to bloodrayne
Geezer Kills Teenager For Walking On His Lawn

Man killed Teen For Walking Across Yard

Batavia, Ohio - A man who neighbors say was devoted to his meticulously kept lawn is charged with murder in the shooting of a 15-year-old boy who apparently walked across his yard.

Charles Martin, 66, of Union Township, near this city about 20 miles east of Cincinnati, shot next-door neighbor Larry Mugrage in the chest with a shotgun around 3:30 p.m. Sunday, police said. The youth was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Martin was being held without bond Monday in Clermont County Jail. Police said he told them he had several disputes about neighbors walking on his lawn. But Union Township Police Lt. Scott Gaviglia said Martin had no criminal history and last called police in 2003.

Martin called 911 on Sunday, saying in a calm voice: "I just killed a kid."

He also tells the dispatcher: "It's been going on for five years ... I've been harassed by him and his parents for five years. Today just blew it up."

The shooting stunned those in the residential neighborhood and students at Glen Este High School, where Martin was a freshman and grief counselors were on hand Monday.

"I think there's a great deal of shock, for two reasons: because of the age of the victim and just how this occurred, killed over some grass," Gaviglia said.

Neighbors said Martin lived alone quietly, often sitting out in front of his one-story home with its neat lawn, well-trimmed shrubbery and flag pole with U.S. and Navy flags flying. In his fenced backyard, he had several birdhouses and a shed painted like a small red barn with white trim.

Neighbor Joanne Ritchie, 46, said Mugrage was known as "a good kid," and that she always considered Martin to be friendly.

"The older gentleman was always riding his bike and tending to his yard," she said. "He would wave at kids and adults. He always had the perfect yard and he worked in it a lot."

Sean Fritts, 16, who also lived in the Clermont County community, agreed that Martin's lawn was his pride and joy.

"He was real protective over his yard and mowed it a lot, and sometimes even measured the grass with a yardstick," Fritts said.

Still, Fritts said he wasn't aware of any disputes involving Martin.

"I never had any problems with him, and I don't know that anyone else did," he said.

My Karma ran over my Dogma

God WAS my co-pilot...But, we crashed in the mountains and...I had to eat him

I'm suffocating in what's become of me...
The rancid remains of what I used to be