Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > True Crime

Old 03-20-2006, 07:51 PM
Umbra Asylum

Send a message via Yahoo to bloodrayne
Would You Like To Buy A Brain For That Head?...Human Body Parts Are Expensive

Their Kingdom for A Corpse

Want to buy a head? On the American body-part market, the going price is between $500 and $900, plus another $50 if you'd like the brain, too. A torso will set you back as much as $3,000, while a single foot could cost $650.

At these prices, there's plenty of temptation for people to take advantage of the dead. But as a disturbing new book reveals, the burgeoning trade in human remains is largely unmonitored. Universities, mortuaries and medical companies routinely buy and sell arms, legs and elbows with virtually no oversight.

The inevitable result? Crooked deals, stolen corpses and lots of looking the other way.

"No one knows how many bodies go into the system and no one knows what happens to them," writes journalist Annie Cheney in Body Brokers: Inside America's Underground Trade in Human Remains.

In her book, Cheney travels from coast to coast, tracking the fates of the tens of thousands of dead bodies that end up in the "cadaver trade" each year. The corpses -- including those donated for medical research and those left unclaimed at morgues -- "are cut up into parts, not unlike chickens, and distributed through a complex network of suppliers, brokers and buyers," Cheney writes.

In Miami, she watches urological surgeons learn how to remove kidneys by poking into torsos in the Ocean Room of the Trump International Sonesta Beach Resort. In Gainesville, Florida, she takes a tour of a factory where crushed human bone is turned into precision-tooled orthopedic tools. And throughout, she finds plenty of people in the body-part business who really wish she'd go away.

Why worry about the dead? Cheney finds families shocked to learn their loved ones are destined for, among other things, testing of anti-mine protective armor. And lest you think the dead don't deserve any special treatment, she tells the grim story of how mishandled bodily tissue killed a young man who underwent a routine orthopedic operation using bone from a cadaver. The killer? Deadly bacteria from the bone's donor, a young man who shot himself and went undiscovered for almost a day.

These tales are especially timely amid this week's news reports about a burgeoning body-part distribution scandal that could have exposed hundreds of patients to contaminated remains.

This is serious stuff. But fans of the absurd will find plenty of nuggets to appreciate, from a modern body-part company briefly called Limbs & Things to the unfortunate tale of the 19th-century son of a U.S. president who failed to stay properly buried despite the best efforts of his own son, himself destined to become president.

Frustratingly, Cheney fails to offer solutions or advice to readers. How can politicians and regulators fix the "cadaver trade"? And what should ordinary readers do if they want to donate their bodies to medical research but don't like the idea of having their private parts exposed in a hotel ballroom in Las Vegas?

In the big picture, however, Body Brokers succeeds in shining a bright light on a dark and murky industry. Without a doubt, the dead deserve better.

My Karma ran over my Dogma

God WAS my co-pilot...But, we crashed in the mountains and...I had to eat him

I'm suffocating in what's become of me...
The rancid remains of what I used to be
Old 03-20-2006, 08:04 PM
It's Daddy,you shithead!

Re: Would You Like To Buy A Brain For That Head?...Human Body Parts Are Expensive

Quote:
Originally posted by bloodrayne
don't like the idea of having their private parts exposed in a hotel ballroom in Las Vegas?
This sounds like an interesting little story,a company X-Mas party perhaps?

I predict a reemergence of the "Viking Funeral".Burying the dead is horse shit,it's like a dog burying a bone.

Budduskey:i am the motherfucking shore patrol,motherfucker!i am the motherfucking shore patrol!give this man a beer.

"Repent, Harlequin!" said the Ticktockman.
"Get stuffed!" replied the Harlequin, sneering.