Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > True Crime

Old 03-14-2006, 04:29 AM
Umbra Asylum

Send a message via Yahoo to bloodrayne
Man Killed Mother With Pipe So He Wouldn't Have To Take Care Of Her

Son Killed Nagging Mother To Avoid Full-Time Care

Australia - A man bludgeoned his "nagging" elderly mother to death with a steel pipe because he couldn't stand the thought of becoming her full-time carer, a court has been told.

Phillip Raymond Parkes, 49, pleaded guilty in the NSW Supreme Court last November to murdering his almost blind mother at her home in Sydney's northern beaches in January 2005.

Grace Parkes, 83, was bludgeoned to death with an iron pipe and her Collaroy Plateau house was ransacked by her son in an attempt to paint her death as a bungled robbery.

Parkes fronted a media conference with his brother shortly after the January 17 murder to plead for information, saying he "couldn't understand why anyone would do this" to his frail and sickly mother.

He was arrested and charged a month later.

Parkes, giving evidence during sentencing submissions in the NSW Supreme Court today, said the family decided he would give up work to care for his ailing mother full-time, and that thought had pushed him over the edge.

In a police interview read to the court by crown prosecutor James Bennett SC, Parkes said his mother drove him crazy.

"She drives me completely crazy, she nags the shit out of me," the father of three told police.

"The only way I could see my way out of this was to proceed with what I did - taking her life with the steel pipe.

"I thought to myself that I had to do it because it was just a solution to everyone's problems."

Parkes struck his mother twice in the head with the iron pipe but the 83-year-old remained conscious and, according to Parkes, was aware that her own child was attacking her.

Parkes then trashed the house to make it appear like the scene of a robbery, before returning to finish off his mother, the court heard.

The court was told Mrs Parkes wiped blood from her forehead and said to her youngest son: "This is not supposed to happen this way".

Parkes then hit his mother again with the pipe on a different part of her head, and sat while his mother took blood into her lungs.

Parkes told the court that in the weeks following his mother's murder, he felt very upset and remorseful over his actions.

"I could not face what I had done. The amount of pain and suffering I had inflicted on my mum caused me great distress, even today," he said.

"It's just something I cannot face, it's made me suicidal."

Parkes, who was a bus driver for the Spastic Centre before his arrest, has previously served a prison sentence for armed robbery and is now taking anti-psychotic and anti-depressant medication.

He admitted to smoking up to 40 cones of cannabis a day and taking amphetamines in the months leading up to the murder.

He said he felt his drug taking may have played a part in his actions.

Justice Bruce James adjourned the matter for sentencing at a later date.

My Karma ran over my Dogma

God WAS my co-pilot...But, we crashed in the mountains and...I had to eat him

I'm suffocating in what's become of me...
The rancid remains of what I used to be