Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-23-2018, 05:11 PM
Onslow Onslow is offline
Hellraiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Augusta, Georgia
Posts: 26
Thoughts on the Friday the 13th Remake (spoilers)

I've recently been binge re-watching the entire Friday the 13th Franchise, all 12 movies. After several days, I've reached the end, finishing up the reboot tonight. Here are a few thoughts on the film. I liked it. It was a good story, full of action, it looked good cinematically, the acting was on point, and it was just about the right length.

There are lots of specifics that made me like the film even more. For instance, I enjoyed that the backstory of Jason held very true to the origin that had developed over the first few films in the series, back in the early 80s. I also liked the fact that, for the most part (up until the final scene), Jason was pretty much just a tough human... nothing supernatural. No lightning infused fence railing, no telekinetic resurrection from Crystal Lake, no electrified power cords, no space repair ants, no Freddy Krueger. Don't get me wrong, I love the supernatural elements in those later Jason movies. Each one has it's own charm, as far as I'm concerned. But, it was nice to see a straightforward slasher story. Another thing I appreciated in this film was the variety of deaths. They were more gruesome, I think, than in other Jason films, and their execution (no pun intended) was very nice.

I know this film is not a fan favorite, but I really liked it. Any other thoughts out there?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-26-2018, 04:18 PM
Masonthebadboy Masonthebadboy is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 21
The 2009 remake is a very artistic film, because it's about sight being an oppressive force
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-27-2018, 10:22 AM
LuvablePsycho's Avatar
LuvablePsycho LuvablePsycho is offline
Rotten Stinky Zombie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: The Moon
Posts: 808
I never liked any of these movies including the reboot. I'm not a big fan of slasher movies and I don't understand why they are so popular with movie watchers.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-29-2018, 09:35 PM
ImmortalSlasher's Avatar
ImmortalSlasher ImmortalSlasher is offline
Immortal horror fan
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: In a dark moonlit forest.
Posts: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho View Post
I never liked any of these movies including the reboot. I'm not a big fan of slasher movies and I don't understand why they are so popular with movie watchers.
You have to like some of them. I think many of the best horror movies are considered slasher films.

I didn't like the remake though. I posted a recent review of the Killer Cut and that version didn't change my mind about the movie.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-30-2018, 05:03 AM
LuvablePsycho's Avatar
LuvablePsycho LuvablePsycho is offline
Rotten Stinky Zombie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: The Moon
Posts: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
You have to like some of them. I think many of the best horror movies are considered slasher films.

I didn't like the remake though. I posted a recent review of the Killer Cut and that version didn't change my mind about the movie.
I have to like some of them? Really?

I think the only two I like at all are Psycho and Bride of Chucky, but Psycho is more of a suspense thriller and Bride of Chucky is a parody of itself.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-30-2018, 01:08 PM
ImmortalSlasher's Avatar
ImmortalSlasher ImmortalSlasher is offline
Immortal horror fan
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: In a dark moonlit forest.
Posts: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho View Post
I have to like some of them? Really?

I think the only two I like at all are Psycho and Bride of Chucky, but Psycho is more of a suspense thriller and Bride of Chucky is a parody of itself.
I think you have to like some of them. Check out the wiki and look at many of the popular ones. You have to like some of the movies in there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slasher_film

Looking at that there are a bunch of movies I still need to see.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-30-2018, 04:42 PM
LuvablePsycho's Avatar
LuvablePsycho LuvablePsycho is offline
Rotten Stinky Zombie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: The Moon
Posts: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
I think you have to like some of them. Check out the wiki and look at many of the popular ones. You have to like some of the movies in there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slasher_film

Looking at that there are a bunch of movies I still need to see.
I've already seen all of the "popular" ones. I have watched Friday the 13th, Halloween, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Child's Play, Scream, I Know What You Did Last Summer, and most of the sequels to all of those movies.

And I still say that they are overrated to all hell!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-04-2018, 05:38 AM
fudgetusk's Avatar
fudgetusk fudgetusk is offline
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 195
I like that Jason was a survivalist in the film because he was played by Derek MEARS.

In the uk we have a survival expert called Ray MEARS.

HAHAHAHAHAH. He's chubby and nice looking btw.

The rest of the film was dull. Not for fans of the originals. But for newbies.

All I would expect from Jason is him being worshipped by a cult and having wings, flying about eating students.
__________________
Here's my music...

https://alonetone.com/fudgetusk/tracks
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-05-2018, 04:16 AM
LuvablePsycho's Avatar
LuvablePsycho LuvablePsycho is offline
Rotten Stinky Zombie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: The Moon
Posts: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgetusk View Post
I like that Jason was a survivalist in the film because he was played by Derek MEARS.

In the uk we have a survival expert called Ray MEARS.

HAHAHAHAHAH. He's chubby and nice looking btw.

The rest of the film was dull. Not for fans of the originals. But for newbies.

All I would expect from Jason is him being worshipped by a cult and having wings, flying about eating students.
Yeah, he would be the deity of those who hate teenagers.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
camp crystal lake, friday the 13th, jason voorhees, review, slasher

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:31 AM.