Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Foreign Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-07-2010, 04:33 AM
Bad Natured

Late Spring (1949). The first of Ozu's Noriko "trilogy," it seems more its conclusion that its opener. No matter, this flick is yet another example of the mastery of Ozu's film making prowess. The story itself is a slow burner, and the magic derives from the gentle unraveling of the plot. Life does not just go on, but life must be lived though its changes, and to stifle change is to disrupt life itself, even if grief and loneliness loom under the threat of change. The acting was subtle and understated, and wonderfully so. The direction and camera work together in unity to allow the story to flow at its own paced, slow and methodical, artistic and highly symbolic. The ending- and unavoidable and noble tragedy that is the living of life. Merci beaucoup.
Genruk'

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:28 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Kairo aka Pulse (2001)

A pretty unique & excellent ghost story where the journey of the ghostly spirits begins & ends on our loneliness...yeah, the spookiest part of their existence is they can make us dead lonely. And this totally different perspective on this prime sub genre of horror slowly takes full control of the screen & its audience with the help of its one of the brilliant works in sound editing, mixing & background scores ever done in our beloved genre films in years.

A superb horror film for what I have missing for years but finally able to watch for the first time last night.

>>: A
Old 09-09-2010, 08:36 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Sion Sono's Suicide Club & Noriko's Dinner Table

I have seen Suicide Club before, which is undoubtedly one of the most powerful thought-provoking films of last decade. Couldn't help myself to go for the 2nd viewing after watching NDT.

Noriko's Dinner Table is more a companion film to the first film than a solid sequel. It's more personal approach to certain themes about family and its lasting effect on youngsters, the generation gap on modern families, the nature of happiness, the lack of understanding or real communication, the alienation it causes and how the Internet & pop culture is used in an attempt to mend it, and the concept of identity & family to certain age groups.

The thing is generation gaps, the connectivity concept in defining happiness or the social detachments are very human & universal theme in modern world and can be distinguished in matter of different social & cultural perspectives also. Sono deals the issues here as both the films are like Japanese allegories, meditation on issues like urbanization and the impact of family in a country where relatively high suicide rates somewhat signifies 54 cheerful teenagers throwing themselves in front of a train or a business concept called Family Rental.
Both the films are definitely not for everyone, some may just find them films about utterly confused & screwed youths of Japan; where you may actually find a this kinda rare celluloid treat with this level of complexity & disturbing structure once in a lifetime.

>>: A
Old 09-10-2010, 05:36 AM
Bad Natured

Running Out of Time (1999). Johnny To takes what would be a painfully laughable movie in Hollywood's hands and makes it endearing and enjoyable. The story itself is riddled with holes, but that is easily smoothed over by the perfect interaction between the two leads. Blending humor with fateful melancholy, this flick which threatens gratuitous violence never quite makes that step and remains a heartfelt story of cat and mouse. With fun and believable acting, solid direction, and a competent hand on the camera, this flick defines simple entertainment. Merci beaucoup.
Genruk'

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Neighbor No. 13 (2005)

It was okay but disappointed with the ending.

>>: C+
Old 09-12-2010, 01:08 PM
HDC Idol

FINALLY got around to watching Ringu (1998) :eek:

And, wow. WOW.

The American remake doesn't even come CLOSE to doing it justice... I had seen the remake when it first came out and thought it was pretty awful - Couldn't understand the buzz around it (though in hindsight it's because DUM'ERICANS don't watch foreign films so I'm sure there was some kind novelty wrapped around it)...

But now I watch the original and even though I'm pretty sure I know how it's going to end, I am STILL creeped out by it. Amazing direction - Slow, suspenseful and amazingly moody, there's a reason why this film is so incredibly iconic - It's fucking scary. Well, maybe "creepy" is more accurate, but still - I found myself holding my breath a few times out of suspense and tension.

Fantastic fucking film.

Fuck you Hollywood for thinking you could do better (and fuck you mass audience who thought that the remake "WUZ SO FUKING GUD.")

And also, FUCK YOU every single FUCKING n00b who starts threads around here saying, "MAN HORROR MOVIES AREN'T WHAT THEY USED TO BE EVERYTHING POST 80s SUCKS." FUCK YOU.

End rant.

5/5. HIGHLY recommended (though I'm pretty sure I'm the last person on this forum who has yet to see this film).

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 09-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

RoboGeisha
Fong Sai-yuk
Old 09-14-2010, 10:24 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Silk (2006)

Not scary but it's a pretty well crafted horror film with a good emotional content, and that made it beautiful to watch.

>>: B+
Old 09-17-2010, 02:25 PM
The Andraculoid

Who Are You

It was really good. Very dark and eerie, I'm a big fan of these sort of movies. You can watch it here if your interested. http://www.asian-horror-movies.com/whoru.php It gets a 4 out of 5.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:52 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Pintu terlarang aka The Forbidden Door (2009)

A psychological horror thriller from Indonesia. Not bad.

>>: B-