Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Foreign Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-03-2009, 04:37 AM
Bad Natured

Phone. i don't know why this Korean flick received such mediocre reviews. i liked it. While not up to par with some of the more incredible S. Korean flicks, this one, which could have easily been mundane, is still a nicely layered story that Koreans seem to excel in. It was not very scary, and the ending was not exceptional, but to me the the story here trumped the ghostly scare factors. Definitely worth a watch. Ashe.
d

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:24 PM
Solar Storm

Ju-on (v-cinema version) 10/10. Even though it is pretty slow at some parts, it really gave me the creeps lol.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:18 AM
Bad Natured

Art of the Devil. After having failed to get through this one on the first attempt, i was able to suffer through it last night. Having just returned home from pedalling over "the grade" i think that i was just too tired to turn it off. The dubbing was atrocious throughout. The special effects were cheesy, and some of the action scenes looked as if they done by first graders. That said, the concept was still pretty creepy and the shaman was believable enough to be scary by himself. i hope that the sequel is better after having sufferred through this one. Ashe.
d

Old 07-05-2009, 05:22 AM
Bad Natured

Yojimbo. Absolutely awsome flick. Toshiro played that part perfectly. i cannot wait to see Sanjuro. Ashe.
d

Old 07-07-2009, 05:20 AM
Bad Natured

Dark Water (2002) i definiitely liked the original better than the remake (whose greatest attribute was JC). Even though there were not as many scares, the story itself was much better, lacking any Hollywood taint. Ashe.
d

Old 07-07-2009, 11:51 PM
Cranky

Memories of Murder (2003)

Korean horror film directed by Joon-ho Bong.

Never heard of this guy before but I'm REALLY glad I watched this. Not your typical Asian horror movie at all. No tall women with long hair. No creepy kids with big eyes. No ghosts.

This is the story surrounding the investigation of Korea's first serial killer case. I don't know where to start here... Perhaps by mentioning the directorial finesse of Joon-ho Bong. He straddles a line between a very dark humor and deadpan seriousness with the assurance of a master. Expert at creating tension and surprise.

At first we're presented with the world's worst criminal investigative team. They trample evidence. They arrest the wrong people and torture confessions out of them. They plant evidence. When a detective from Seoul joins them on the case, they are jealous of his more sophisticated methods and try and discredit him.

There's a real visual flair to this film as well, along with some stunning visual metaphores. Many key scenes take place in the rain at night and they're shot with perfection.

The lead actor, Kang-ho Song, turns in such a nuanced performance I was awed. He portrayed his role, at first that of a bumbling corrupt cop, that transforms into a very sympathetic caring character. It was probably the best performance I've seen in an Asian movie (what ones I've seen, of course).

The story itself moves along at a brisk pace, always kept me interested, and revealed some deft touches, symbolism and depth.

Needless to say- I was extremely impressed.

Ashe- you will love this- check it out.

You too Chrono!

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 07-08-2009, 01:40 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post

Never heard of this guy before but I'm REALLY glad I watched this. Not your typical Asian horror movie at all. No tall women with long hair. No creepy kids with big eyes. No ghosts.

This is the story surrounding the investigation of Korea's first serial killer case. I don't know where to start here... Perhaps by mentioning the directorial finesse of Joon-ho Bong. He straddles a line between a very dark humor and deadpan seriousness with the assurance of a master. Expert at creating tension and surprise.

At first we're presented with the world's worst criminal investigative team. They trample evidence. They arrest the wrong people and torture confessions out of them. They plant evidence. When a detective from Seoul joins them on the case, they are jealous of his more sophisticated methods and try and discredit him.

There's a real visual flair to this film as well, along with some stunning visual metaphores. Many key scenes take place in the rain at night and they're shot with perfection.

The lead actor, Kang-ho Song, turns in such a nuanced performance I was awed. He portrayed his role, at first that of a bumbling corrupt cop, that transforms into a very sympathetic caring character. It was probably the best performance I've seen in an Asian movie (what ones I've seen, of course).

The story itself moves along at a brisk pace, always kept me interested, and revealed some deft touches, symbolism and depth.

You too Chrono!
Glad you liked it, NE:) . I saw this movie years ago but still can't forget anything about it as every aspect of the film was so beautifully portrayed that impressed me greatly. And as you said it's not a typical serial killer movie..it's more than that. Instead of focusing on the murder scenes and shocking images like most other conventional serial killer films, the movie puts much more time and details into the story, characters and the situation of the time the incidents took place. At the very beginning it was said that the case still remain unsolved but I almost started to forget this fact as the story runs with a great flow. The frustration of witnessing the many problems the investigators were facing and the very high tension during the murder scenes kept me hooked all along. Intense humor, brilliant cinematography, excellent character developments with the incredible casts delivered in perfect way by the director Joon-ho Bong.
Not only chrono and Ashe, I also like to recommend it for fortunato and Alky. I'm sure they'll love this Korean Masterpiece.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:15 AM
Bad Natured

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post

You too Chrono!
Yep, one my Asian favs, close to a top ten. Ashe.
d

Old 07-08-2009, 06:30 AM
Bad Natured

Apt. (2006). This Korean flick had some great scares, plus it was a pretty good story to boot (a tad dark). It is probably one of the creepiest Korean movies that i have seen. Ashe.
d

Old 07-09-2009, 06:01 AM
Bad Natured

Samurai 1: Musashi Miyamoto. First of three. So far so good. Cannot wait to see the other two. Ashe.
d