Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Upcoming Horror Movies

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 09:04 AM
For Vendetta

Expect nods to Iron Man, Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk and The First Avenger: Captain America in Thor, according to Marvel editor-in-chief Joe Quesada.

He's been talking to MTV News about how happy they are with Thor director Kenneth Branagh, especially the Shakespearian actor's interest in the comic's universe.

In an interview with the site, Quesada said: "[Branagh] understood that there was this very, very big tapestry of the Marvel movies. There's continuity within the movies and he really wanted to play within that and wanted it to be part of the other movies."

He went on: "He was really, really loving the interconnectivity between all of these characters and even thinking ahead as to how does Thor interrelate with the Iron Man movies, how will he interrelate with the The Avengers movies, and how do we set these things up."
Old 05-17-2009, 09:21 PM
For Vendetta

Aussie actor Chris Hemsworth, currently seen as James T. Kirk's dad George in the new Star Trek movie, has reportedly won the title role in Marvel's Thor.

Deadline Hollywood Daily reported today that Hemsworth had initially "read for the part of Thor but wasn't given a test because a casting director had nixed him early on. I'm told Chris' younger brother Liam (who's also a ROAR client) then tested for the role of Thor, but Marvel's Kevin Feige passed. Then, after a conversation with [Hemsworth's manager William] Ward ('You've got to reconsider Chris, he's your guy'), Feige decided to let Chris read again.

And once Marvel put him on tape, it was 'Oh my god'. [Thor director Kenneth] Branagh came to town last week and saw the Chris test and made the final casting decision today."

According to the IMDB, Hemsworth is 25 years-old and stands 6'3". He'll next be seen in the Joss Whedon-scripted horror flick Cabin in the Woods.

DHD adds that Hemsworth also just won the lead role in MGM's remake of Red Dawn. Thor begins filming in January for a June 17, 2011 release.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:51 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
I've yet to see the new Trek, but the guy looks the part. Here's hoping he'll pull it off.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:39 AM
For Vendetta

Marvel has found their god of mischief to plague their god of thunder.

Deadline Hollywood Daily reports that Thor director Kenneth Branagh has cast his Wallander co-star Tom Hiddleston as the villainous Loki, over such bigger name contenders as Josh Hartnett.

DHD is the same outlet that broke the news that Chris Hemsworth had won the title role of Thor.

An exclusive chat with Branagh last month confirms that he called Hiddleston "a great actor" and confirmed the rumor that he was up for a part in Thor.

English actor Hiddleston, 28, starred opposite Branagh in the Masterpiece Mystery! series Wallander and the HBO telepic Conspiracy, as well as on-stage in last fall's production of Chekhov's Ivanov.

Hiddleston's bio at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art says he stands 6'2" and is certified in stage combat. He won the Laurence Olivier Award last year as Best Newcomer in a Play for his performance in Cymbeline.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:25 AM
For Vendetta

Ashley Miller, who is rewriting Thor for Marvel Studios along with his Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles partner Zack Stentz, has spilled a few beans about the comic-to-film.

"Certainly, Walt Simonson's take on the character greatly informs what we brought to the script although I wouldn't say we went to a specific story from his tenure on the book," Miller told CineFools. "We saw part of our job as taking all the many approaches to the character over the years (including the myths) and distilling them down into a form that worked for a two-hour movie. There's a tremendous amount of ground to cover, so inspiration has to come from everywhere."

When asked about how to make the god of thunder approachable and realistic for a movie audience, Miller said that "at the end of the day, (Thor's) a man. In the comics, Odin sends him to Earth because he's not perfect. He's brash, arrogant. Even over-confident. We all know that guy -- some of us have even been that guy. Stan Lee's genius was to give Thor-as-hero an emotional throughline we could all relate to, and knock him down a couple of pegs." Miller added, "The challenge is to dramatize that and make the audience see what the fans have known and believed about the character all along."

Miller was coy about how much of Asgard will be in the film as opposed to Earth: "Marvel's official description gives you a pretty good idea of what the divide looks like."

Here's that official Thor film synopsis, courtesy of Marvel: "This epic adventure spans the Marvel Universe; from present day Earth to the realm of Asgard. At the center of the story is The Mighty Thor, a powerful but arrogant warrior whose reckless actions reignite an ancient war. Thor is cast down to Earth and forced to live among humans as punishment. Once here, Thor learns what it takes to be a true hero when the most dangerous villain of his world sends the darkest forces of Asgard to invade Earth."
Old 06-02-2009, 10:45 AM
The Manchester Butcher

Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelle
Sounds like it may end up being a good movie I never been a big fan of thor but will watch it

Last edited by mrbelle; 06-02-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:46 AM
For Vendetta

Screenwriter Zak Penn has been talking about his difficulties in piecing together Marvel's Avengers movie, revealing that he's going to sit down and write the first draft of the script this summer.

Speaking on a panel at last week's Los Angeles film festival (as reported by SCI FI Wire), Penn said he was taking a meeting soon with producers from the Thor and Captain America movies. "We are all going to get together, and I will see what is going to happen. I'll see where they are leaving the characters; it's pretty complicated... There's a board that is tracking what is happening."

Apparently, Penn ran into trouble back when he was writing the last two X-Men movies because he wanted to introduce the Fantastic Four -- but was prevented by the studio. In contrast, he appears to be relishing the chance to cross-pollinate superheroes this time around now that Marvel themselves are producing.

"It is a world of difference; it is a lot easier to do things like that and they encourage it," he said. "Marvel is autonomous now. It is night and day. Everyone has read every comic. They know how to make a cool movie."

Depressingly, though, he did add, "It's hard to make a good movie. We all have the best intentions, and it still might suck."
Old 07-03-2009, 05:20 AM
whatever gets you through

i'm betting he's right. Thor will suck and it will suck the wind right out of an Avengers movie, which will NEVER happen.

mark my words ye foolish mortals
Old 07-03-2009, 01:12 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
I don't know how bad Thor will be. I'm actually a bit more worried about Cap.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:25 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Faustus View Post
I don't know how bad Thor will be. I'm actually a bit more worried about Cap.
Agreed. I think Thor will be pretty solid, but Cap could turn out awful. The effects will be cool - Tim Roth in the new Hulk, anyone? - but I can see the script being really, really bad.

I mean - it's a dude wrapped in an American flag. HOW can that be successful anywhere outside the US South?