Old 03-24-2013, 12:57 PM
Midnight toker

Gotta judge every remake on its own merit... The main problem with most remakes is they are made to cash in on name recognition and knocked out without much care or attention, but there have been a ton of amazing remakes over the years. The fly, The Thing, Scarface, then there's the Kurosawa style remakes of which there are a bunch of amazing examples.... If it's done well and there's a point to it beyond cashing in on the Evil Dead franchise it has the potential to be as good as any 'original' movie.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:01 PM
Sometimes dead is better

I am definitely very excited about seeing the remake of the Evil Dead. I greatly enjoyed the original 1981 classic (which was relatively dark, especially compared to the sequels). I just hope that it does not get ruined like many other horror movie remakes. Although, it should be noted I liked the remakes of 13 Ghosts, The Thing (from Another World), The Fly, and My Bloody Valentine. The remakes of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Dawn of the Dead weren't perfect, but they were pretty good (i'd give them about 4 out of 5 stars). For Japanese remakes I enjoyed the remake of The Ring. But, then you also have the remakes of Halloween, Friday the 13th, and Halloween, which had interesting ideas, but simply did not deliver. Lastly, you have the last line of remakes, which are the worst, such as Psycho, Black Christmas, The Fog, and The Omen (just a note all the films originals were very good, I am only praising or criticizing their remakes). These films are not even worth the film they were printed on (so to speak). Thus, there are,at best,an equal amount of good remakes, as there are bad or terrible remakes. Ultimately, it will be interesting to see where the new Evil Dead movie will lie.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Cranky

Even if this remake is "good" it doesn't stand a chance of equaling the original. I remember watching Evil Dead in a theatre opening week, and after about 10 minutes it was apparent there had been NOTHING like this, ever. The film was strikingly original, and set a whole new bar for horror films. This doesn't happen very oftem. Evil Dead holds a unique position in horror film history, along with other innovative films like Psycho, Night of the Living Dead, The Exorcist, etc.

No remake, no matter how well crafted will be able to touch it.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 03-24-2013, 02:03 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Even if this remake is "good" it doesn't stand a chance of equaling the original. I remember watching Evil Dead in a theatre opening week, and after about 10 minutes it was apparent there had been NOTHING like this, ever. The film was strikingly original, and set a whole new bar for horror films. This doesn't happen very oftem. Evil Dead holds a unique position in horror film history, along with other innovative films like Psycho, Night of the Living Dead, The Exorcist, etc.

No remake, no matter how well crafted will be able to touch it.
I agree - the way the original movie made me feel the first time I saw it, well... that hasn't happened since with any other movie. Whether or not it has that effect on younger people (I'm 35), I don't know... but that's how it is for me.

But I'm choosing to try to see this new remake more as a " new chapter". I won't walk into the theater with the expectation to see something that will outdo or even be as good as the original. What I AM hoping for, though, is another movie that will pull me into that same "universe"... something I can watch when my original "evil dead" disc is overheating ;):D

Maybe I'll be disappointed, I don't know... I was definitely SO against the idea originally, but the more I see and read about it, the more excited I am. I could of course just be another victim of great marketing.

But honestly - I WANT to be excited. I want it to be a possibility that I have just one more "evil dead experience" in store. And I want it to be possible that one day, there WILL be another horror movie that will blow me away, something which I haven't experienced in many many years... not nescesarily because of bad movies, but simply because "I've seen it all".
Old 03-24-2013, 10:03 PM
ventricle

Sorry, not going to read 11 pages of posts. Not sure if this has already been posted... It's written and directed by Fede Alvarez. He made this movie short: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dadPWhEhVk

Here's a trailer to the remake. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKFDkpHCQz4

Looks like it has no sense of humor. I don't see anything original about it. Looks closer to Evil Dead 1. Can't see it comparing to 1 or 2.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:13 PM
Evil Dead

This is the first time I'm actually watching the short film - and I have to say I'm pretty impressed.

Most of the apocalypse movies I've seen were absolutely terrible. But this short movie is actually a bit disturbing.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:01 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
I don't see anything original about it. Looks closer to Evil Dead 1.
No offense, but these two sentences are total contradictions of each other. I'm with neverending: Evil Dead 1 was totally original. There was nothing like it at the time, and its been a direct influence on so much ever since.

I, like any reasonable horror fan, am not expecting it to be better than the original (or II). That would be ludicrous. But that doesn't mean I can't expect it to be good, or enjoy watching it regardless.

I'm counting down the days, nay, the hours until April 5. The desktops of both my computer monitors at work are Evil Dead 2013 posters. I've hosted weekly movie nights all month to re-watch the original trilogy with my friends. I'm freaking out I'm so excited.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:21 PM
Sometimes dead is better

I too, am extremely excited about this film. You cannot go into a remake expecting it to be better than another because it won't be. A similiar thing occurs when people read a book (such as The Shining) and watch the movie expecting it to be the same as the book. Generally, I would disagree with doing that, the director should put his own creative spin on the material. The best remakes (or adaptions from books) are the ones that go and do something different with the material. This does not always work or is not executed properly as in several of the slasher remakes they have made. Ultimately, I am very excited about seeing this movie in April. Unfortunately, I will not be able to see it on opening day because I want to see it with my nephew, who also really enjoys horror movies (we have seen the original movie many times and when he was younger it actually scared him).
Old 03-26-2013, 04:18 AM
Evil Dead

Going to be a hard one to critique this movie i feel.

We all love the original and will always live in our hearts but i like the idea of a straight non comedic approach to the new version.personally i don`t care for comedy in horror so this could be a good move.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:47 AM
Evil Dead

Here's my setup at work. The poster in the background is Game of Thrones ("The night is dark and full of terrors").

Closed Thread

Tags
bruce campbell, evil dead, evil dead reboot, evil dead remake, sam raimi