Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-09-2015, 07:00 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux2007 View Post
I also liked the part where the daughter was singing to "Jodie", and Kathy comes in. You see the chair rock for maybe a second, and that freaked me out too.
Yeah that was much better than the overuse of the dead little girl in the remake

Old 01-10-2015, 04:46 PM
Evil Dead

The Last House on the Left (2009)

After torturing two girls and leaving them to die, a group of escaped convicts take shelter from a storm in a couple's vacation home, but they get more than what they bargained for when they learn whose house it really is.

I haven't seen this in a couple years, so my memory of it was a little fuzzy. Now I know that it was far better than I expected. A huge improvement to the original was a consistently dark atmosphere. In Wes Craven's version, it felt silly at times, namely the scenes with the cops and the whole "Willow" stuff. This remake was also a lot more intense and suspenseful, and the danger felt a lot more real. The ending may somewhat blunt the movie's overall effect, but, hey, how often do you get that sort of ending in a horror movie? The rape scene was very difficult to sit through because it was so long and realistic, which is my only real complaint. If you had to choose to watch the original or the remake, I would go with the remake because it's a lot more thrilling, and it's far superior to Wes Craven's version overall.

8/10
Old 01-10-2015, 06:30 PM

LEMON TREE PASSAGE 2014

There's an urban legend that if you drive real fast down Lemon Tree Passage at night, you will see the ghost of a motorcyclist killed there. And you have to be a car full of teenagers. So this is what a car full of teenagers do and then we get to see what happens to them.

Found it lame and needlessly convoluted.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:24 PM
No, fuck YOU

Thumb resize.

"The Imitation Game" 5/10

I gotta admit, I felt really dumb while watching this one. A true story about Alan Turing, a mathematic genius who, together with other geniuses, invents a machine to crack the Nazi's Enigma Code. I was bored throughout. Also, Benedict Cumberbatch was too old to play a 27 year old Alan Turing. He IS a terrefic actor tho.

Thumb resize.

"Big Eyes" 7/10

It was alright, but one of Tim Burton's least remarkable creations. Christoph Waltz was at the top of his game and seemed to really enjoy playing the awfull and manipulative character Walter Keane. If it wasn't for him this movie might have been a little bit boring.

Last edited by Angra; 01-10-2015 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:30 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
Thumb resize.

"The Imitation Game" 5/10

I gotta admit, I felt really dumb while watching this one. A true story about Alan Turing, a mathematic genius who, together with other geniuses, invents a machine to crack the Nazi's Enigma Code. I was bored throughout. Also, Benedict Cumberbatch was too old to play a 27 year old Alan Turing. He IS a terrefic actor tho.
I am disappointed with your review, I have been looking forward to this movie. I will still watch it for myself though. The trailers made it look interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post

Thumb resize.

"Big Eyes" 7/10

It was alright, but one of Tim Burton's least remarkable creations. Christoph Waltz was at the top of his game and seemed to really enjoy playing the awfull and manipulative character Walter Keane. If it wasn't for him this movie might have been a little bit boring.
I really want to see this one too, it seems like a different style for Tim Burton.

Last edited by tfantasy; 01-10-2015 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:47 PM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfantasy View Post
I am disappointed with your review, I have been looking forward to this movie. I will still watch it for myself though. The trailers made it look interesting.
You will probably have a completely different opinion about it. I just might not be smart enough to appreciate such movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfantasy View Post
I really want to see this one too, it seems like a different style for Tim Burton.
A different style indeed. I didn't notice a single Burton trademark other than Waltz colorful and slightly cartoonish character.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:59 PM
Evil Dead

Fantastic movie!! The characters and acting are so strong. Wow, I can't believe that I didn't catch this one before.

10/10

Old 01-10-2015, 10:56 PM
Evil Dead

Shock Value (2014)

Very clever and blackly funny low budget meta horror.

This movie is about making a movie: The Whorehouse that Screamed. The characters deliver some of the best horror-movie satire I've seen in a while, perhaps ever.

The snarky director thinks his horror movie-making experience gives him "the mind of a serial killer," moreso than his perfectly-cast actor, whom the director selected because he happens to be a real serial killer. Meanwhile, the killer acts indifferent to the project, yet practices his lines self-consciously in a mirror and calls out the writer/director for plot holes. The producer politely asks the actor/killer not to murder the director after the film is done, and Malcolm McDowell, in a sleazy cameo as a washed up actor, pitches his big idea: to play Dracula in a found-footage, "edgy, 21st century reboot" that boasts "modern stuff, like the internet."

Chock full of true meta stuff that doesn't rely on characters spelling out the satirical references, the way Scream, Cabin in the Woods, and Behind the Mask do. Heck, the makeup effects guy even looks like Tom Savini. This one will make horror fans smile, and the story's not bad either.

Recommended for black comedy fans who appreciate horror satire, and aren't adverse to low budget indies.

8/10

Last edited by Giganticface; 01-13-2015 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Made it suck less
Old 01-11-2015, 05:17 AM
No, fuck YOU

"Birdman" 6/10

Had its few funny moments, but the story just didn't appeal to me.

Last edited by Angra; 01-11-2015 at 05:32 AM.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:56 PM
Evil Dead

The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears (2013)

I think this movie is about a guy who's wife went missing, and he spends the length of the film searching for her. However, what we really see is a 102-minute collage of bloody sex and death, done in masterful giallo fashion. Each scene rotates between stylings of Bava, Argento and Fulci, from black & white to saturated green & red washes of light, from split screen to ultra-closeups, from crime intrigue to bloody violence, from kaleidoscopic psychedelia, to choppy stop motion, to the slow drip of red, red blood. Unfortunately, however, without a plot of any substance, it all starts to wear thin after a while. Perhaps if the directors wanted a reason to show off their deep appreciation of everything giallo, and their impeccable technical acumen in paying homage, they could have instead broken the vignettes up into actual stories, and released the film as an anthology, like they did with their first effort, Amer, which in my opinion is just as artistic, but much more accessible.

Despite the flaws, the visuals are so good that I have to still give it:

7/10

Tags
movie