Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-09-2004, 10:16 AM
Scares Little Kids

Van Helsing

has anyone seen this movie? i saw it last night...all i can say is, CRAP...first of all, the werewolf...it wasnt too bad, they kept to the basic "rules"...but just overdid the wolf....Then theres Frankenstein's monster...im not sure what all the mechanical crap on him was about, but im not sure why he walked like he had to take a crat either...the monster is supposed to be slow, and hardly talk...this one was yappin all the time like he was a genious, and he was running at times....then there was the WORST Dracula ever..vampires shouldnt change into a monster..its dumb...and where do they get off, deciding to change the rules for Dracula? All of a sudden, Dracula can only be killed, by getting bit by a werewolf?? Personally, i thought it was a pretty crap movie....
Old 05-09-2004, 01:20 PM
That fucking Guy...

It was a reinvention, yknow?
They didn't kill the original ideas, they just gave us a new perspective on them.
It's funny that you should say all that, and ALSO say that you had issues with Frankensteins monster "yappin all the time like he was a genius"...In the original literature, he talked plenty, and had quiet an excellent outlook and a very realistic take on man, and what it is to be one - If you haven't read the original, or at least seen the deniro movie, you should.
As for walking like he needed to take a crap...I'd assume that's something to do with the mechanical crap you mentioned...
Agreed that they did over-do the wolf-men in terms of size, as for the thing about the whole dracula only being able to be killed by a werewolf, I found it quiet interesting - there's only so many ways they can re-use an old idea anyway, isn't there?
BTW - I liked how they didn't use very much colour at all in the movie...kinda made the atmosphere work, I also liked that FOR ONCE a female character had a good reason to be there.
It's not the best movie out there, no...but I've seen a LOT more horror-based films that were a LOT worse come out over the past few years.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:04 PM
Scares Little Kids

in the original Frankenstien movie, the monster didnt talk much at all...and Bride of Frankenstien, the blind man tought him how to talk...so he talked a little more...in van helsing, i guess he tought himself by reading the bible? if that even makes sense....what was with dracula's oompa loompas with the nazi death masks? i thought they were kind of dumb...and i still think, they should have stuck with the original "rules" for the monsters...i cant stand when they make vampires turn into "monsters"...
Old 05-12-2004, 04:40 AM
That fucking Guy...

Well, Dracs pretty much always been able to turn into a bat right? This time, he just turned into, like, a really big one.
I also thought the nazi midgets were a bit lame/unnecessary, the thing I really didn't like was the vamps "offspring", now they looked stupid.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:33 AM
Dawnrazor

Quote:
Originally posted by crimson_blood
in the original Frankenstien movie, the monster didnt talk much at all...and Bride of Frankenstien, the blind man tought him how to talk...so he talked a little more...in van helsing, i guess he tought himself by reading the bible? if that even makes sense....what was with dracula's oompa loompas with the nazi death masks? i thought they were kind of dumb...and i still think, they should have stuck with the original "rules" for the monsters...i cant stand when they make vampires turn into "monsters"...
In the original novel, the monster was fully literate and intelligent, so it was original movie that changed it not Van Helsing
Old 05-15-2004, 02:37 PM
Post-Moderation

Judging from the reviews this movie has gotten and the apparent lack of plot substituted for constant action, i think i'd be happier WITH my $10.

Dracula killed by a Werewolf bite?:confused: !?......no thanks....
Old 05-15-2004, 02:40 PM
BMXICAN

Yeah I was thinking of checking this out also, but I think I'll keep my money now.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by kpropain
Yeah I was thinking of checking this out also, but I think I'll keep my money now.
I don't know how many times ive been put off seeing a movie, by either freinds or critics on tv only to see them a few years down the track and them to be excellent movies. so i just go see em and make my own opinion. unless they say it really really sucks like they did with wendigo. fuck thats the only time ishould have listened to the crictics, that movie sucked big time
Old 05-15-2004, 09:44 PM
Banned

Why does this gay-ass movie have 2 threads?BULLSHIT!
Old 05-15-2004, 09:51 PM
Post-Moderation

Quote:
don't know how many times ive been put off seeing a movie, by either freinds or critics on tv only to see them a few years down the track and them to be excellent movies. so i just go see em and make my own opinion. unless they say it really really sucks like they did with wendigo. fuck thats the only time ishould have listened to the crictics, that movie sucked big time
The exact OPPOSITE happens to me all the time. Friends and family and critics, yes critics lol, drag me to a movie saying its great and it ends up sucking major ass, ie. TCM remake, etc. etc.

So i download if a movie looks interesting, this one doesnt even look download worthy:rolleyes:

and GODDAMNIT someone MERGE THESE THREADS!!!!!!!AMK WHERE ARE YOU!!!!!?!?!?!?!