Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-02-2014, 05:45 PM
Evil Sweat

No One Lives was pretty good from what I remember.

I also remember a home invasion movie where they flipped it.
It was about two psycho brothers who hide from the cops in a house and take the family hostage. But the family turns out to be crazier than the brothers.
Don't remember if it was good.

Killers (1996)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0256858/

Another thing that pisses me off more lately are the abrupt endings.
It's lazy. It's like the writer can't come up with a good ending and says
"Fuck it, let them decide how it ends."
Old 04-02-2014, 06:17 PM
Fear scented candle

The victims being mostly assholes. Where's the sacrifice? There is no horror in watching a dick get his comeuppance. But like in the Ring and The Hills Have Eyes, the victims didn't deserve what they got. That is fucking terrifying.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:45 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodstok View Post
The victims being mostly assholes. Where's the sacrifice? There is no horror in watching a dick get his comeuppance. But like in the Ring and The Hills Have Eyes, the victims didn't deserve what they got. That is fucking terrifying.
+1 on this. It's so glaring and transparent when a movie sets up a jerk for the slaughter just for some easy audience gratification. It not only severely lessens the horror, it telegraphs the character's fate so there is no suspense. What's worse, it demonstrates the writer/director's willingness to pander to the audience thereby draining the rest of the movie of tension. The moment you know the film makers are only out to make a crowd-pleaser is the moment you can predict everything that is going to happen to all the characters, and from then on you are just marking off checkboxes in a list of cliches.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:13 PM
Evil Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
+1 on this. It's so glaring and transparent when a movie sets up a jerk for the slaughter just for some easy audience gratification. It not only severely lessens the horror, it telegraphs the character's fate so there is no suspense. What's worse, it demonstrates the writer/director's willingness to pander to the audience thereby draining the rest of the movie of tension. The moment you know the film makers are only out to make a crowd-pleaser is the moment you can predict everything that is going to happen to all the characters, and from then on you are just marking off checkboxes in a list of cliches.
I think this also applies to letting one or two of the nicest/smartest people survive after the evil has been defeated.
So they'll live happily ever after (or until the sequel) and it leaves the audience with a feeling of relief and hope.
A lot of time it would be so much better and fitting for a movie that everybody dies/the world ends/evil wins/...
Seven might be a good example.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:14 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
No One Lives ?
That's the one - it wasn't bad but obviously not good enough to remember the name.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:36 AM
Evil Sweat

Daytime vampires.
Twilight, Vampire Diaries, Vampire Academy,...
Old 04-08-2014, 12:05 PM
Undead

Baron. Good one. Mind you if I remember correctly in Stokers Dracula the good ol' Count would walk about anytime.

Back to morons getting killed in films. The only thing I like about the first Hostel film is the good guy gets greased early on. Enough with the Disney endings. Not horror, but as far as interesting endings go, Los Ultimos Dias is rather good. Gives us hope yet depressing as well.

How about people killed in same old dull ways. Or people schmecken then getting killed.

Last survivor movies. It was fine in the 70's.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:11 PM
Evil Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe E Ville View Post
Baron. Good one. Mind you if I remember correctly in Stokers Dracula the good ol' Count would walk about anytime.
Now that you mention it, you're right.
I don't mind Dracula (or some other über vampire) strolling around during the day. As long as they maintain a low-profile attitude.
But lately there's this whole bunch of teenage vampires walking around during the daytime like it ain't no thing. I think that Twilight dude even went to high school (even though he was over a 100).

Might be a similar thing going on with werewolves.
There was always the element of a full moon. Now you got Hulk like situations.

Quote:
How about people killed in same old dull ways.
True. Now matter how bad a movie is, I always give extra credit for an original kill.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:12 PM
Undead

Baron, I heard Del Toro came up with Strain in response to the whole Twilight nonsense. When you are more afraid of vampire pimple juice than the vampires being menacing, something has to be done. Werewolves as well. I watched Wer and had high hope but alas...

We need a list of best/most inventive kills.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:55 PM
Evil Sweat

Quote:
Baron, I heard Del Toro came up with Strain in response to the whole Twilight nonsense. When you are more afraid of vampire pimple juice than the vampires being menacing, something has to be done. Werewolves as well. I watched Wer and had high hope but alas...

We need a list of best/most inventive kills.
Thanks for the tip on Strain.

That kill list is a great idea.