#1  
Old 08-27-2018, 07:56 AM
idoneus1957 idoneus1957 is offline
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 232
killer ants, large and small

Ants don't have to be big to be scary. I was sure that I saw once in the tv listings a movie that seemed to be based on the short story Leiningen versus the ants (as in army ants), but I couldn't remember the title, so I had to go to imdb. It's The Naked Jungle, starring Charleton Heston. I ought to find it and see it just to see the special effects, I mean how they depicted a wave of army ants back before they had computer assisted special effects.
The story is white-knuckle, edge-of-your-seat stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-27-2018, 09:33 PM
Sculpt's Avatar
Sculpt Sculpt is offline
ventricle
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA, IL
Posts: 4,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoneus1957 View Post
Ants don't have to be big to be scary. I was sure that I saw once in the tv listings a movie that seemed to be based on the short story Leiningen versus the ants (as in army ants), but I couldn't remember the title, so I had to go to imdb. It's The Naked Jungle, starring Charleton Heston. I ought to find it and see it just to see the special effects, I mean how they depicted a wave of army ants back before they had computer assisted special effects.
The story is white-knuckle, edge-of-your-seat stuff.
I saw that film this year. I liked it. It's weird and the special effects are pretty cool.
__________________
.
.
.
.

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-29-2018, 01:20 AM
FryeDwight FryeDwight is offline
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,365
Have heard good things about this one too. Don't care much for Heston as an actor, but those ants should make up for it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-22-2018, 02:06 PM
Sculpt's Avatar
Sculpt Sculpt is offline
ventricle
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA, IL
Posts: 4,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
Have heard good things about this one too. Don't care much for Heston as an actor, but those ants should make up for it.
Heston is cast well in this film, he's meant to be a recluse, socially awkward in a cold way and standoffish.
__________________
.
.
.
.

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-01-2018, 02:07 AM
Anthropophagus's Avatar
Anthropophagus Anthropophagus is offline
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Good old blighty
Posts: 842
The Naked Jungle is only good at the latter stages.Most of the movie is a love story which bores me to be honest.Too much lovey dovey and not enough ant action.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-01-2018, 09:51 PM
Sculpt's Avatar
Sculpt Sculpt is offline
ventricle
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA, IL
Posts: 4,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropophagus View Post
The Naked Jungle is only good at the latter stages.Most of the movie is a love story which bores me to be honest.Too much lovey dovey and not enough ant action.
Yeah, it's a little bit like 'The King and I' in the beginning, but it's really trying to be 'Heart of Darknest' (Joseph Conrad novella, being premise for Apocalypse Now)... and it's a bit like Kongo (1932) in that respect, just not that dirty, though Heston is surprisingly dirty in the beginning.
__________________
.
.
.
.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:16 AM.