Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Comics

Old 08-18-2005, 06:04 PM
Waste Disposer

A psychotic kitty that was genetically altered by a mad doctor and sold to the government....
Old 08-22-2005, 10:40 PM
Evil Dead

Preacher is definitely one of the best comics out there.
Watchmen is another one.
I usually don't read mainstream DC, but Kingdom Come was excellent.
My fave comic of all time-Alan Moore & Steve Parkhouse's "The Complete BoJeffries Saga". A dysfunctional family that includes a vegetarian vampire, a werewolf uncle, & a radioactive baby that lives in the cellar.

There's always room for giallo!
Old 08-23-2005, 03:14 PM
Undead

best comics ever!

In order:

1) The Watchmen by Alan Moore
2) Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller
3) Perverts, Pedophiles & Other Theologians by Clifford Meth
4) V for Vendetta by Alan Moore
Old 08-29-2005, 09:17 PM
Your funeral... my trial

Sandman. Best comic ever, horror or otherwise. Preacher is very good as well, but not quite of Sandman's caliber. A title that seemingly gets overlooked a lot is Hellblazer. I know Constantine wasn't that great, but the comic really is much, much better.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:26 AM
Waste Disposer

Quote:
Originally posted by noctuary
Sandman. Best comic ever, horror or otherwise. Preacher is very good as well, but not quite of Sandman's caliber. A title that seemingly gets overlooked a lot is Hellblazer. I know Constantine wasn't that great, but the comic really is much, much better.
I agree,but then again-a movie really cannot get into the depth of the character.Constantine has many layers and many events that shaped him....it would be impossible without making films 1 thru 100 to nail him down.

Did you read the Neil Gaiman/Yoshitaka Amano "The Dream Hunters"?
It was so beautiful.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:33 AM
Your funeral... my trial

Yes, you're right, the Dream Hunters was lovely. I've always thought that Amano's art was very well suited to a Sandman story, as dreamlike as it is.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:53 AM
Banned

I LOVED the watchmen, and V for Vendetta.
I've not yet got into HELLBLAZER, it looks ok.
Sadly, I TRIED the original sandman series, and it bored me - however, some of the sandman RELATED titles and miniseries are very good.
Oh, and I read the first issue of Preacher a while back, and I have to say it was VERY good, I'd reccomend that to anyone.
As a rule, anything by Neil Geiman, I will check out...including the upcoming film he is involved in "mirrormask", trailers up at apple.

As requested, In terms of HORROR kinda comics...

*Flinch: A vertigo horror anthology, very interesting stuff, kinda like the twilight zone meets tales from the crypt.

*Dead Walkers - zombie miniseries

*Crimson - vampire series, pretty cool stuff, very bloody.

*Both the limited and ongoing series of "The walking Dead" are good, although the newer ongoing series is really MUCH better, and currently rates as one of the best zombie genre comics out there, Robert Kirkman is one of my favourite comic authors out there at the moment (check out "invincible, and "capes", for some more superhero kinda stuff he does), he rocks that shit.

*There was a night of the living dead prequel, and also a follow up to the movie "barbaras zombie chronicles".

*Bite Club (AWESOME!!)

*I havent read much but "route 666" looks great

*"Remains" - another zombie comic miniseries, different, but good.

*All of the "30 days of night" (especially bloodsucker tales) series are quite good, also check out "the criminal macabre"

And, on the more "mystery/monster/horror/gruesome" titles,
*Stray Bullets
*League of extraordinary gentleman
*BPRD - The Dead
*The Battle Royale manga...excellent.

Sadly, the days of the truly brilliant horror comics are over, there was some truly wicked ongoing series dedicted to horror from the late 60's to the early 80's...these, and all the above titles can be searched for easily in soulseek, I reccomend that to anyone interested in looking at back issues.

Hope my info helps.

- B