Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-23-2004, 01:30 PM
Banned

Psycho wasn't a slasher. He killed 2 people.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:56 PM
Get ahold of yourself.

Send a message via AIM to massacre man
id say it might go like this... (in my opinion) (opinion is a big word)
michael and jason would stare at eachother jason would get the first hit stabbing michael in the stomach with the machete michael falls jason goes to pull it out michael quickly grabs the machete and swings it at jason jason falls on the ground with the machete in his head michael pulls it out and chops off his head jason swings at michael knocking him down michael gets back up and jasons body and head are gone

just kidding about the ending head and body gone i cant think of a good one
Old 01-23-2004, 02:40 PM
does anybody read this?

when did they adnit to ripping off michael??
Old 01-23-2004, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ErikLensherr82
Leatherface the first slasher? LOL Um ok kids, have any one of you ever heard of the name Norman Bates?? Thought so....;)

First and foremost, Michael Myers is the reason Jason Voorhees is alive and popular. He is Jason's daddy. Even the creators of the first 4 Fridays admit they ripped off Michael.

I would love to see a Jason vs Michael movie, but then again I wouldn't. Its like someone mentioned why does Mike have to lower himself to these vs movies? After 8 movies (and not one flopped unless you count H3) of making profits and 2 Jason movies flopping, Mike is still the champion.

As far as Mike matching up with strength against Jason? Have you guys ever read the race between the Hair and the Turtle? Have you ever heard of BRAINS vs STRENGTH stories? Michael is 100 times smarter than Jason. He might not match up strength wise, but someone who crushes heads with ease with both hands is not a wuss. ;)

Even if we did see a Michael vs Jason movie, Michael would not get "owned" by Jason. They would have a close fight to satisfy both fan bases.

Anyways, thats my 2 cents :D
I agree completely, though I can't say I think of Norman as a slasher...
Old 01-25-2004, 11:40 AM
Scares Little Kids

I would have to disagree on Psycho not being a slasher film. The only difference between Scream and Psycho (slasher speaking-wise) is Ghostface wore a mask.

Psycho is a lot more realstic than most of the slashers out today (Halloween, Friday 13th, TCM, etc).
But the creator of Halloween, Carpenter, said most of Halloween was a tribute or homage, or ideas borrowed from Psycho because its one of his favorite films.

Psycho> inspires slasher HALLOWEEN> Friday the 13th>Scream>etc...

Even the media considers Psycho the first slasher. Here is an article on that:

THE SELECTIVE HISTORY OF THE SLASHER FILM

Only in the past decade has the slasher film directed towards innovative trends, violating, for the first time, conventions and mechanisms reused in an uncountable number of films. The slasher film is one of the most structured and concrete film genres.

Recently and particularly the genre has employed post-modernist detachment. This is a particularly laudable diversion, as it occurs in a genre of films known for their similarity. It is evident in two films: The Silence of the Lambs and Scream. The latter preyed on the popular trends of the slasher film genre that went unacknowledged in the entirety of its duration. (Though Scream is the most popular example of this, it was preceded by Wes Craven’s own New Nightmare.) The trick is this: Scream is a slasher film, though in drawing attention to its type it emerges, in some way, as innovative. It is self-aware and -referential, yet is purposefully derivative (and knowledge of the slasher genre will grant the inconsistencies of Scream: foremost, slasher killers have no identity).

The Silence of the Lambs offers one of the most detached perspectives of the slasher film. Firstly, the killer, Hannibal Lector, is not only known but he is studied (this is contrary to established notions of Lector as antihero). But notice the parts of the film that coalesce with slasher methodology: the female survivalist, the sexuality of the crimes; even Lector’s muzzle, only seen briefly in the film, has become a staple method of identifying him. He is not only a horror icon, like other slasher killers, but one of the most recognized.

The final and least laudable trait of the slasher film is its propensity to generate sequels (for measure, the five films mentioned in this article have spawned a combined 18 sequels). Because slasher killers are inhumanly durable, their deaths are never legitimately final.

Slasher films, however derivative and thematically impotent, are generated from a handful of critical successes. The cornerstones of the slasher genre are detailed below.

Psycho

Psycho opens with the caption “Pheonix, Arizona … Friday, December the Eleventh … Two Forty-Three PM.” In this – the first slasher film – the specificity of location lends the film a truth. This convention functions to make otherwise clichéd horror mechanisms seem real, as they are given a ridiculously specific context.

http://www.notcoming.com/features/slasherhistory.html
Old 01-25-2004, 11:48 AM
Banned

yeah, well, the media is wrong. Psycho is not a slasher, it doesn't deal with someone going around killing people. It relies on
a) Norman trying to cover up what his mother has done
b) Sam and The sister trying to find Marion

Movies like And Then There Were None are closer to the slasher genre than Psycho