Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-09-2009, 04:15 AM
Bad Natured

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post

Loved it so I am tossing it a rec.

Watch this film - Elvis, Chrono, Return, Urge, Newb, NE, Doc, Fortunato, Rayne.
Loved it too so i will act as seconds to this rec.
d

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Misanthrope

Beyond The Darkness

Gotta love those weirdo families dontcha. Enjoyed this one especially for the twisted shit but as far as the D'Amato stuff I've watched nothing's topped Absurd.

The Haunted World Of El Superbeasto

Some nice throwbacks to Ralph Bakshi's work but this was a little disappointing and could've been funnier. Still there's some great scenes here and there and I'll be checking out the sequels as i suspect they'll get better and more OTT.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:09 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Quote:

Caught a screening of this at the Festival of Fear this summer...great stuff. I can see it rubbing a lot of people the wrong way, but I was really impressed. I'll 3rd the rec on this one for sure.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:38 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Return View Post
Caught a screening of this at the Festival of Fear this summer...great stuff. I can see it rubbing a lot of people the wrong way, but I was really impressed. I'll 3rd the rec on this one for sure.
Based on what I've read about it in Rue Morgue, I'm REALLY concerned that it'll rub me the wrong way.

That being said, it's getting good reviews and since you three have recommended it, I have to see it now. It's on Netflix Instant. Thanks for the rec, guys.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 12-09-2009, 06:35 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Based on what I've read about it in Rue Morgue, I'm REALLY concerned that it'll rub me the wrong way.

That being said, it's getting good reviews and since you three have recommended it, I have to see it now. It's on Netflix Instant. Thanks for the rec, guys.
I think you'll be able to appreciate it. Might not be your favourite movie ever, but you'd definitely find something to like about it.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:15 PM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:

Great! Thanks for the rec, V.
I'll check it out as soon as possible.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:56 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho d View Post
Unleashed (2005). Expecting a slightly dramatic fight flick, instead i was treated to a great story with some occasionally great fight scenes. Jet Li, Bob Hoskins, and Morgan Freeman put forth some pretty strong performances, with Hoskins role as a mob thug made believably vile. The audio was awesome, with the fight sounds painfully believable. The cinematography was first rate as well. The story itself was good. Overall this was a pretty darned good flick. Ashe.
d
Yeah I expected a kinda unstylised approach to this - I thought (for some reason) it would be a realistic 'underground/bareknuckle' fight scenes - not a Bloodsport kung fu extravaganza (ie the swimming pool bit)...

Once I got over that I did enjoy the better than average story and acting..
Old 12-10-2009, 02:01 AM
Pirate of Bengal

The Box (2009)

Based on a beautiful short story of Richard Matheson that already has been adapted for an episode of the Twilight Zone TV series and I think that's the best way to treat such a simple & effective supernatural tale. But when director like Richard Kelly go for a celluloid treatment then you can guess how it can be turns out. Somewhat the original Twilight Zone episode is played out within the first hour, followed by further events that turned it into a X-Files type of sci-fi mystery thriller. But in this case, it's quite slowly developed and not that much confusing weird piece as Kelly's earlier work like Donnie Darko was and in the same way it isn't that much interesting at all. Overall, it's not a bad or very average movie but surely not as good as I expected.

>>: B-
Old 12-10-2009, 03:13 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

I thought it would be terrible _ I might check it out afterall..(maybe with a few ciders :-)

Dan Curtis directed piolt for an illfated TV series - very similar to Curtis' earlier produced/directed Kolchak films....Very similar themes - a writer investigates the supernatural, stories told in flash back back etc..

Despite poor make acting, scares and make up there is something charming about this show/film. Unfortunally, protagonist David Norliss is has no where near the lovabilty of the rogue reporter Carl Kolchak..

Pity the series was never picked up...

Did any one see the new Kolchak series made about 4 years ago? is it any good?
Old 12-10-2009, 05:48 AM
Midnight toker

The Great Outdoors- One of John Candy's best.

Black Orpheus- Didn't think this would be my sort of thing, but I really enjoyed it.