Captain Awesome

Send a message via AIM to Dave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally posted by Keyser_Soze
I still think you are full of it.
And I still think you are illiterate.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:31 PM
Undead

What makes me "illiterate"? Is it that I think it is stupid to base the fact that you feel a movie is stupid on the marketing?

You have to have a suspension of disbelief when going to see a movie. I guess for someone as sophisticated as you that is a problem. You ever made a movie? Didn't think so. You give it a shot. See what you come up with in the horror genre. Maybe you can do it better than Carpenter or Hooper or Craven. Yeah right. "Those who can't make movies become critics." Ever heard of William Goldman? Probably not. Well he said that, and now talking to you, I get it.

Review this!
Old 12-15-2003, 07:42 PM
Captain Awesome

Quote:
Originally posted by Keyser_Soze
What makes me "illiterate"? Is it that I think it is stupid to base the fact that you feel a movie is stupid on the marketing?

You have to have a suspension of disbelief when going to see a movie. I guess for someone as sophisticated as you that is a problem. You ever made a movie? Didn't think so. You give it a shot. See what you come up with in the horror genre. Maybe you can do it better than Carpenter or Hooper or Craven. Yeah right. "Those who can't make movies become critics." Ever heard of William Goldman? Probably not. Well he said that, and now talking to you, I get it.

Review this!
Anyone who says anything about a movie is a critic. The fact that you totally missed everything I explained about why I wrote what I wrote is why I said illiterate. I didn't say I thought the movie was stupid because of the marketing. I left a list of reasons that I didn't like the movie but you failed to see any of them. All you saw was the "Inspired by" part and left out the rest of the entire thing. According to what you are saying, I can only not like a movie if I'm a movie maker, otherwise I have to just accept everything I'm shown. I'm not allowed to question things in the movie. Clive Barker, Stephen King, Wes Craven...they have all been quoted with why they liked a movie. That makes them a critic as well.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:17 PM
Shadow Puppet Mastermind

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
No, I meant inspired by. The reason I attacked that part so much is because they use it so loosely. From everything I read about the movie before hand, and the reports on the press releases that New Line put out, they were refering to the Gein case when they said inspired by, but they screwed up 3 major things when they did the movie (the original as well):

-didn't happen in Texas
-he didn't use a chainsaw
-he killed two people and just robbed a bunch of graves, hardly a massacre

Now, that is from the reports I have read about the Gein case itself. However, when they say inspired by and use small details from what they claim inspires their movie, no matter what the movie is, they should use more than what they used in this. I could say that the movie was inspired by a Hawaiian Island because it has people in (or on I mean) it who have heard of Texas and know what murder is. I'm still right by saying it was inspired by, but it leads you to believe that this is how the story went, which is what leads people to believe the story is true. That's my problem with that kind of advertising, just the fact that they try to push that it actually happened. However, they didn't go any where near as bad as the Blair Witch did. I saw a documentary on the Discovery Channel about how it actually happened. That's slightly...f'd up.

Based on usually tells the full story exactly how it happened while inspired doesn't, but in this type of marketing they are leading you to believe it is based on a true story, especially with their press kit full of crime photos, tissue samples, and the rest of their stuff.
I agree with this comment completely.
They tack on the 'Inspired by' tag-line to boost ticket sales.
It adds a mystique to the film I suppose.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:19 PM
Captain Awesome

Quote:
Originally posted by FangoFan
I agree with this comment completely.
They tack on the 'Inspired by' tag-line to boost ticket sales.
It adds a mystique to the film I suppose.
I still can't believe they did the press kit evidence though...and no one asked, "where did they get the evidence?". When I read about that I couldn't believe it.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:24 PM
Shadow Puppet Mastermind

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Ok, so when you actually read what I wrote than you might understand that what I said was directed at the marketers and in this case New Line Cinema. When they marketed it as "Inspired By" and put out press kits with "evidence they obtained", they are trying to make you think it actually happened. What you said about them using part or one thousandth of a part of the story is just like what I said about saying it was inspired by Hawaiians because the movie had people in it. "Aliens" was inspired by a true story, the story of Henry Ford because he made a car that had metal in it and their ship was made of metal. My point was that they stretched and bent the idea, and than tried to push it like it was true. And yes, there are people who still think the movie was true. When it came out, loads of people believed it happened and to this day still do.

http://horror.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1968

Go down to Grappler5

My arguement was about the marketing in that case. The rest of my review was about the problems in the movie.
The same for The Exorcist or The Amittyville Horror. Movies that used the 'Based on a true story' tag-line. I have the The Excorcist novel by William Peter Blatty, he didn't mention about it being true.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:11 AM
Captain Awesome

Quote:
Originally posted by FangoFan
The same for The Exorcist or The Amittyville Horror. Movies that used the 'Based on a true story' tag-line. I have the The Excorcist novel by William Peter Blatty, he didn't mention about it being true.
I just recently saw something about the Amittyville Horror on TLC or Discovery or something. They basically said that who ever wrote the book, based the book on the accounts of one guy with no evidence to back up anything that he claimed happened. They also said that after the movie came out, people started flocking to the house to steal even a brick. I duno about you, but I don't think I want even a piece of gravel from their driveway if that shit actually happened lol. They can keep their evil house to themselves haha. The Exorcist I heard was inspired by some boy who was exorcised but I'm not too clear on that one. However, the Amittyville one...if I hadn't see the thing on tv about it, I would have thought that the whole thing happened the way they said, especially since the box said "True Story" on it.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:07 AM
Hellraiser

Michael Bay(the procuder himself of TCM remake) said that he used the name 'TCM' for "...shock-value alone". So in all actuallity, this could have been called TCM5 or something. But I don't think it would have made as much money....do you? So for those of still great faith in the modern released horror film, I feel sorry for ya!~

...all the best horror movies, and the others too.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:47 PM
Captain Awesome

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryan_Zombie
Michael Bay(the procuder himself of TCM remake) said that he used the name 'TCM' for "...shock-value alone". So in all actuallity, this could have been called TCM5 or something. But I don't think it would have made as much money....do you? So for those of still great faith in the modern released horror film, I feel sorry for ya!~
A friend of mine read that some reviewer said the same thing actually, that it should have actually been TCM 5. I don't remember what the site is now that he got it from. I'll have to ask him so you can check it out. He said that no one would go see a "Texas Chainsaw Massacre 5" movie, but would be more likely to go see a remake which was probably why they did that.