Old 06-28-2007, 09:12 AM
For Vendetta

Conan will be back...without Arnie

New Line Cinema is poised to remake the Schwarzenegger classic “Conan the Barbarian” following Warner losing the rights to the legendary literary series.

What a journey this movie has had. At one stage original ‘Conan’ director John Milius wanted to bring Schwarzenegger back for a third film (titled ‘King Conan’) then Warners decided they didn’t want that and dropped both Milius and, well, any link to the Arnie films, in favour of a straight-up remake.

Larry and Andy Wachowski and Robert Rodriguez took turns developing it. Rodriguez got closest but left the project for "Grindhouse." Boaz Yakin was hired last year to start again.

Warners had a spring deadline to be in production but balked because it didn't have a script in which it was confident. Rights-holder Paradox Entertainment, which had extended its original option agreement three times, declined another extension.

"We have great respect for Warner Bros., but after seven years, we came to the point where we needed to see progress to production," Paradox's Fredrik Malmberg said.

After posting a bid of mid-six against seven figures for an 18-month option with one extension, the studio entered into negotiations after CAA staged an auction for rights holder Paradox Entertainment. The property drew the interest of several studios and monied producers including Hollywood Gang's Gianni Nunnari and Millennium Films.

New Line has to start from scratch on the project because the Warner Bros. own the rights to all drafts of the new “Conan” movie.

http://www.moviehole.net/news/200706...an_movies.html

Any guesses to who the lead will be? Your guess is as good as mine.:rolleyes:
Old 06-28-2007, 09:26 AM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

It'll be The Rock

I need to make a few calls... sounds like a great writing assignment!

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon
Old 06-28-2007, 10:01 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Usher View Post
It'll be The Rock

I need to make a few calls... sounds like a great writing assignment!
Oliver Stone wrote the screenplay for Conan the Barbarian? Right?
Old 06-28-2007, 11:01 AM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by paws the great View Post
Oliver Stone wrote the screenplay for Conan the Barbarian? Right?
Yes, alongwith John Milius the director.

Its apparent WB dont want to give out the draft for a remake, so I m guessing New Line will have a new plotline for Conan now.

All the best, Sean!

Hope they give it to you...I am sure you will do great justice to it...you have a great vision for stuff, and might be perfect for this one.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:05 PM
Can you dig it ?

Why don't they just clone Schwarzenegger already so they can do this and make another 'Terminator' sequel ? :D
Remakes.... more damn remakes !
Old 06-28-2007, 10:12 PM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSadistro View Post
Why don't they just clone Schwarzenegger already so they can do this and make another 'Terminator' sequel ? :D
Remakes.... more damn remakes !
Read the Latest News in Horror thread yet MK? Lionsgate is remaking Jacob's Ladder.:rolleyes:
Old 06-28-2007, 10:16 PM
Can you dig it ?

No surprise there. When there's nothing left to remake, they'll just start remaking the remakes. How many times has 'Invasion Of The Body Snatchers' been done now ? 3 ? 4 ?
Worst part is Lion's Gate is one of the companies we're looking to sell our movie to this summer for distribution. ugh ! I feel so dirty now I need to shower :D
Old 06-28-2007, 10:16 PM
Tonight's the nght.

They killed my childhood memories!
Old 06-28-2007, 10:20 PM
For Vendetta

Such a big industry with so many fine-assed scripters and directors, cant they think of one unique story between em? I am really surprised...and disappointed.

We still have the odd 28 Days/Weeks Later or Grindhouse. 1408 is another recent goodie (apart from being a story adaptation). There are some, but very few and far between.

Yet, associating that with a multi-billion dollar industry with literally millions of script writers and directors, those are pretty poor statistics.

The audiences should just say NO to remakes. That might compel em to come up with some original stuff.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Can you dig it ?

Don't get me started again !
I should start spamming my flick now against my own better judgment. At least it's original and I didn't just sign up here to post once about it and leave. I feel like I'm stuck in a bad 'ABC Afterschool Special' now :D
Closed Thread