Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-17-2006, 11:44 PM
AsteroidsDoNotConcernMe

Overrated = "Endorsed By Idiots!"

There's a few movies in recent memory that a LOT of people liked and the only way I can explain why they liked such pieces of garbage is that they are just not thinking straight. A few "Blockbusters" of recent years, I feel, have definitely been over-appraised. I do think people go into theatres, get "wowed" by lots of cool special effects, and walk out in a confused daze.

Of course, I only feel that way because in my opinion these films are bad. So in a certain way, you might say that it's my "opinion" that certain people are idiots. (I'm sort of being funny here........and sort of not!)

Friend....gooooood!

Old 07-18-2006, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by crabapple
Overrated = "Endorsed By Idiots!"

There's a few movies in recent memory that a LOT of people liked and the only way I can explain why they liked such pieces of garbage is that they are just not thinking straight. A few "Blockbusters" of recent years, I feel, have definitely been over-appraised. I do think people go into theatres, get "wowed" by lots of cool special effects, and walk out in a confused daze.

Of course, I only feel that way because in my opinion these films are bad. So in a certain way, you might say that it's my "opinion" that certain people are idiots. (I'm sort of being funny here........and sort of not!)
..Lord of the Rings movies is a perfect example....
Old 07-18-2006, 03:15 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to azathoth777 Send a message via Yahoo to azathoth777
Overrated is mostly just one persons opinion. For me, it's when I've heard about a 'classic' horror movie for years before I get around to seeing it. It's hyped as the goriest, sickest, shocking and scary movie ever. Then I watch it and it falls rather short of that mark. Sure, for it's time it may have been these thing, but today....
It's also when people hold up a movie as great and claim to like it because they think they should.
i demand and expect quality.
right now, once and for all.
quality time.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by PR3SSUR3
I think when generally positive word of mouth is over a film with only superficial qualities I could consider it overrated.

Hip and fashionable action sequences can make a film the current in-thing to enthuse about for example, which is not to say the masses are stupid but rather they are perhaps more easily pleased.
i agree with that - and that how i feel about a lot of things (ie the titanic :P)

but these days i dont consider it overrated - i just see myself as 'outside the box'
I think it's overrated for me but not for the more easily pleased people who like it. For them it's rated appropriately.

bottom line as i see it.. its an opinion reserved for yourself - not one to project on anyone else.

i find myself saying instead - 'well, a lot of people liked it - but i didnt and here's why : ....'
Old 07-18-2006, 06:10 AM
Pepper's Ghost

Send a message via AIM to knife_fight
Quote:
Originally posted by slasherman
..Lord of the Rings movies is a perfect example....
I think the reason so many people liked those movies (including myself) was because they have read the books numerous times and love them and the characters so much, that no matter what the movie was like, they were just over-excited to see them on screen.

in that respect, I wouldn't say the movies were overrated, they just had a built-in audience (as they say) that was going to love them no matter what. a good example of that is the Star Wars prequels. I loved the first prequel the first time I saw it, but it was just because I was so stoked to see a new Star Wars movie. upon repeated viewings, it slowly revealed itself to be terrible (in my opinion).

Last edited by knife_fight; 07-18-2006 at 06:13 AM.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:44 AM
I'M 37!!!

Re: "it's Overrated"

Quote:
Originally posted by urgeok
looking for a definition here ...

something i see a lot .. "it's overrated'

my definition is "a lot of people liked it but you didnt - and for some reason you feel that you alone set the bar for the rest of the planet"

i dont think there is such a thing as 'overrated'

if tons of people like it - then its rated appropriately as to how they saw it....despite how you personally feel about it.

if you think its shit - then you think its shit.
doesnt mean everyone else is wrong. how can someone be wrong about liking or not liking a movie ??

I guess i used to that phrase in the past as well, but given a bit of reflection .. it just doesnt make sense.
I guess its never too late to gather a bit more wisdom.
When I use the word "overrated", I don't mean to think of everybody else's opinion as shit. I mean that I don't see where people are coming from in the liking of that particular film. I can see where you're coming from urgeok,a nd I may try to tone down on my use of the word "overrated".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretchucker View Post
It's not rape if you shout suprise!
Old 07-18-2006, 01:07 PM
Tenant

To me, overrated is just an opinion. If you feel a film has achieved a high status that is undeserved, then you, personally, feel it's overrated.

To me, The Boondock Saints is overrated. I know people who literally have cults around it, and I feel it's a weak movie which had to borrow everything it has going for it from other movies.

I, personally, feel it's overrated; or I, personally, don't think it's as great as people say it is.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:31 PM
Smack My Titties

TV series Lost is held in high regard - or highly rated - yet I find it somewhat insultingly manipulative and desperately contrived.

Its constant atmosphere of strain and suspense (it tries too hard) is well received and trumpeted by many, but I would rate it only average, mildly distracting entertainment.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:23 PM
AsteroidsDoNotConcernMe

So, you liked it a lot, is that what you're saying?

Friend....gooooood!

Old 07-18-2006, 05:34 PM
Smack My Titties

<------ What do you think of my sexy ladies?