Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Compilations and Pastimes

Old 12-24-2006, 10:53 AM
Mighty HDC Drunken Pirate

Vidocq (aka Dark Portals: The Chronicles of Vidocq) (2001)

Vidocq starts out with a detective chasing a man (known only as The Alchemist) with a mirror-like mask through an old foundry. He catches up to the mysterious, cloaked figure...and a visually stunning fight ensues. The detective is beaten towards a flaming pit and falls, just barely holding on.

He looks into his enemy's mask, and pleads: "If I am to die...I must know.” The masked figure removes his mask (revealing his identity to the detective, but not the audience), and the detective, with a shocked expression, loosens his grip and falls to a fiery demise. All this before the credits even roll.

We find out that the detective was the infamous Vidocq, a real historical criminal that notoriously became the chief of French police. We meet Vidocq's official biographer, a naive young man, and from here the story follows him as he investigates the death of Vidocq, in part to finish his book but also to avenge the death of his hero.

The plot gets pretty intense from there, so I won’t spoil anything.

If you're the type that doesn’t like subtitles this isn’t for you - keep in mind that it's a French film.

One thing that really struck me about the film was that it's one of the first films to be shot with digital backgrounds/sets, and they are done beautifully. Give the film a very unique look and feel; there were many times that I was so distracted by the effects (The sky in particular), I lost track of the dialogue. Some people might be turned off by the overuse of CGI, but this film really shows what the medium is capable of and it’s used to its fullest potential.

The actors all seem pretty good...cant be too certain as I’m not fluent enough to always understand what they're saying, but they all seem to be pretty good for what it's worth.

Finally, the ending...quite possibly my favourite part of the film. You won’t find any spoilers here, but man...what an awesome ending. It's absolutely friggin’ crazy, and that’s all that I'll say on the topic. Once again, I could see how it would possibly rub some people the wrong way, but I thought it was handled incredibly well. - The Return

Village of the Damned (1960)

Wait Until Dark (1967)

Wild Zero (2000)

in a plotline similar to Plan 9 From Outer Space (aliens come to earth to resurrect the dead in an attempt to conquer our peaceful planet), Wild Zero manages to seamlessly blend the sci-fi, zombie, and rock n roll movie subgenres into one mind-numbingly entertaining film.

the story centers around Ace, a young man who idolizes trash rock band Guitar Wolf and often laments about how un-cool he is.

things seemingly turn around for Ace when he meets his idols backstage at one of their shows and becomes blood brothers with them after he proclaims that, "Rock 'n Roll is not over, baby! Rock 'n Roll never dies!!!"

his happiness is short-lived however because soon after that, aliens invade and zombies run amuck.

I won't mention any more of the plot than that, but suffice it to say, the "rock n roll never dies" line is a good example of the awesome-in-its-own-way dialogue that permeates the entire picture. if you are looking for a film that truly embodies rock n roll, I personally cannot think of a better one than Wild Zero (one of the special features is a drinking game where you drink every time a zombie's head explodes). the only thing that would make this film more rock n roll would be the inclusion of more boobies and perhaps more vomiting (though I'm sure this will be remedied when Guitar Wolf finally finds funding for Wild Zero 2). - knife_fight

Witchfinder General (aka The Conqueror Worm) (1968)

Last edited by The Flayed One; 10-05-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:04 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to The Mothman
I counted it. thats all 100 of them. great list i must say. Thanks for putting my blurbs on there Flayed. is ths gonna be a sticky? please tell me it is. hey, can it replace the "It Stops Now" sticky. (anyone who doesnt follow the rules in that sticky from the first place doesnt deserve to be here, its common sense)

Click for B-Movie reviews!
Old 12-24-2006, 02:47 PM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
I suggested village of the damned! Also, creep is well known here in england.

It's a shame slash and children of the corn didnt make it.

The Ferrets like it...
Old 12-24-2006, 02:58 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretchucker View Post
I suggested village of the damned! Also, creep is well known here in england.

It's a shame slash and children of the corn didnt make it.
how the hell is children of the corn obscure?

i thought creep was wicked generic. not a very good film, but watchable.

Old 12-24-2006, 06:25 PM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

That is one hell of a movie list.

May they all fall in your stockings this season...even if you're celebrating Saturnalia!:D

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon
Old 12-24-2006, 10:29 PM
For Vendetta

Excellent list...great job compiling it Flayed. Kudos from me!

I m glad to see 6-7 of my listed 10 in the 100 mentioned here. However I m a tad disappointed that Asylum(1972) didnt make it into this list. One of Cushing's finest and best performances IMO.

Still, great list to read on Christmas. Thanks a lot for doing this, Flayed. Nice work bro! :)
Old 12-25-2006, 05:53 PM
Evil Dead

so...since poeple worked so damn long and hard on this....arent we gonna sticky it?

Old 12-25-2006, 06:45 PM
Banned

sure, if forum owner slasherman gives the mods permission.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:16 PM
Mighty HDC Drunken Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Usher View Post
May they all fall in your stockings this season...even if you're celebrating Saturnalia!:D
I just counted, and realized I only own 15 of these:mad:

I can see it now: DeepDiscountDVD customer of the year 2007: Flayed!

Seriously, though, I know from searching thoroughly that a few of these aren't available to Region 1. I've been waiting on El dia de la beastia for a year or two, and I'm not sure there are copies of The Horrible Doctor Hichcock still in existence.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flayed One View Post
I just counted, and realized I only own 15 of these:mad:

i have 56 of them ..

zwoti probably has 96 of them..