Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-31-2003, 11:34 AM
Evil Dead

the zombie survival guide

i was just wondering if anyone has read the book. THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL GUIDE by Max Brooks. i am reading it now and it is quite good.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:54 AM
Cryptkeeper

Send a message via AIM to avenger00soul Send a message via Yahoo to avenger00soul
Re: the zombie survival guide

Quote:
Originally posted by dabruce16
i was just wondering if anyone has read the book. THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL GUIDE by Max Brooks. i am reading it now and it is quite good.
I've been wanting to check that one out. What's it like?
Old 11-01-2003, 10:57 AM
Evil Dead

i really enjoy reading it so far. not bad stuff. it talks about what weapons are best suited for the situation and what you should prepare for. there is also zombie encounters in the book. quite interesting. not a bad read.
Old 11-01-2003, 11:02 AM
Cryptkeeper

Send a message via AIM to avenger00soul Send a message via Yahoo to avenger00soul
Quote:
i really enjoy reading it so far. not bad stuff. it talks about what weapons are best suited for the situation and what you should prepare for. there is also zombie encounters in the book. quite interesting. not a bad read.
I'll have to check it to it. Sounds like a fun book to read.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:51 AM
Evil Dead

there is a great article of this book on fangoria's website.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:55 AM
Cryptkeeper

Quote:
there is a great article of this book on fangoria's website.
Thanks, I'll check it out.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:35 AM
Cryptkeeper

My girlfriend bought this for me yesterday. Just giving it a cursory glance, it looks hilarious. I love the little diagrams.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:28 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to nightbreed
uummmm no

im sorry but i strongly disagree. Having bought and read it cover to cover I can tell you that he didnt cover one thing I hadnt thought of already. Of coarse Im a zombie purist, so that explains somthing. Alot of it just seemed to be common sense.

I had trouble with the weapons section too. I can't believe he brought up shuriken as a "deadly" weapon. Yeah right. Shuriken are meant as a distractionary device. A la "were about to engage and i throw one at your face as a distraction right before i attack." Seriously if you dissagree try throwing one into a coconut. If you can get one well into a coconut, then perhaps you could get one into a skull. But more realistically a shuriken is going to skip off the rounded bones of the skull/face leaving a fairly serious (but in no way deadly) gash. Even if you get one in the eye its not going to kill them.

To anyone who is planning on buying this book I suggest you go rent resident evil (the game), the romero trilogy, and the 1990 living dead remake. These will teach you everything you really need to know about surviving a zombie encounter, assuming thats what your after. The rest is just common sense. Dont make alot of noise. Guns run out of ammo. Smash head with blunt weapon. Cities = Bad. Etc.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:13 PM
Evil Dead

I thought it got tiresome really quick. You and your friends have probably talked about far more interesting scenarios while just goofing on zombies.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:05 AM
Evil Dead

the book did get a little tiresome, but it was still a decent read. but nightbreed, when you say that people should play resident evil to teach them everything they need to know about zombies, i think that is horse shit. resident evil is a great game, but as we all know zombies don't die from repeated gun shots to the chests. conkers bad fur day did zombies a whole lot better then resident evil. you actually had to shoot them in teh head to kill them. we need more zombie games where you have to shoot them in thehead to kill them.