Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-28-2004, 05:48 AM
Scares Little Kids

Zombie Book

Hello, I am new to this forum. I just turned 29 years old yesterday and was feeling brave so I thought I would drop by to check things out here. Anyway, I also wanted to say that by trade I am a horror author. I have loved zombie stuff like Romero's Dawn of the Dead my whole life and in Oct. 2003 I was lucky enough to get my first book published. It's called DYING DAYS and is available at www.silverlakepublishing.com or at Amazon. If you like Zombie Horror, like 28 Days Later or Romero's stuff I urge you to check it out and give it a chance. It got recommended for a Bram Stoker award this year and I am rather proud of it. So if you feel like helping out a struggling horror writer or enjoy gore filled end of the world zombie plagues, please give Dying Days a chance. THANKS. Hope I am not being too much of a jerk here.
ESB
Old 01-28-2004, 05:52 AM
Fear scented candle

Nope, not a jerk at all. You sound hopefull, that's a good thing. I may just take a look at that myself.

Author to author, if you feel like critiquing something, go here:
http://www.vodstok.net/scare/lit/bearwood.asp

I'm not a professional fiction writer quite yet, but i appreciate feedback.

Wow, great reviews. Nice cover-art too. Good luck, it sounds like you deserve success.

Last edited by Vodstok; 01-28-2004 at 05:56 AM.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:52 AM
King of Klowns

Send a message via AIM to Killer Clown#1
I'll have to check it out. I love Zombies
Old 01-28-2004, 05:54 AM

Hay right on, WELCOME to the forum!!! So dose this writeing pay the bills or just for fun??
Old 01-28-2004, 06:23 AM
Scares Little Kids

Reply to all the kindness in this kick ass forum

Thanks for all the kindness. You guys rule here.
Glad you liked the reviews and cover.
Nope, writing doesn't pay the bills yet. TOPS- I make maybe a couple a thousand a year between my books and freelance sales and that is if I am lucky. It is my goal one day though. I just started writing less than three years ago so I feel very blessed so far.
If any you DO order the book, please feel free to let me know what you think of it. I consider it kind of an homage to ROMERO, the king of zombies himself.
Oh and is anyone looking forward to the DAWN OF THE DEAD movie? Think it'll suck?
ESB
Old 01-28-2004, 06:45 AM
Fear scented candle

I certainly hope not, but we'll see. Remakes in the last 15 years havent been worthj the film they are printed on.

only 3 years? You are lucky. I've been writing since i was 16 and havent had a thing published. That's why i have my own site, i got impatient. Plus it leaves me free to write whatever i want.

Right now it COSTS me money to write, but i guess that is the price of freedom.

Actually, if you dont mind, how did you get your first story published? I'm getting back into that market so i am curious..
Old 01-28-2004, 06:47 AM

Hell ya!! can't wait for DAWN OF THE DEAD!!! I saw the trailer the movie looks killer!!! love that zombie end of the world kinda stuff!!!
Old 01-28-2004, 06:59 AM
Scares Little Kids

Vodstok's question

I didn't start writing until I was 26. I started out with the Writer's digest Novel and Short Story market book that comes out every year. I went through it and found some small press places that published horror and sent off a tale to four of them. Two weeks later I had a contract. It only paid in copies but starting out what can you do? The magazine was called Burning Sky and my first tale saw print in it's 9th issue. I suggest going to a library rather than shelling out the cash for the book and sending off a tale or two. You never know what can happen. Heck, your first sale may be a 5 cent a word professional short story!!!!!
Only you can make yourself write and send out your stuff but I wish you all the best if you. GOOD LUCK.
Oh and free bit of wisdom, if you want to get published in a NICE color zine and see you work in print and DON'T MIND doing it was for copies check out www.blackpetals.com It's a great place to start and they are VERY open to new writers. Heck, if you think it will help, tell them I sent you. : )
What you had on your site was good man.
NOW GO ORDER DYING DAYS. (just kidding, kind of.)
ESB
Old 01-28-2004, 02:09 PM
Scares Little Kids

Send a message via AIM to horrorDNX
Quote:
I certainly hope not, but we'll see. Remakes in the last 15 years havent been worthj the film they are printed on.
What about "Night of the Linging Dead '90" i dont know about you but i love it.

Quote:
Hell ya!! can't wait for DAWN OF THE DEAD!!! I saw the trailer the movie looks killer!!! love that zombie end of the world kinda stuff!!!
That movie is going to make it real hard for me to wear any of my Dawn of the Dead shirts. I know ill be wearing it and some retard dits will come up lie "hey i saw tht movie, it was cool" and ill just scream "NO YOU HAVENT YOU SAW THE REMAKE, THERES A HUGE DIFFERENCE" ... oh boy.
Im ok with them making bad horror movie, but nood bad horror movies that use the titles of classics.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:28 AM
Fear scented candle

Quote:
Originally posted by horrorDNX
What about "Night of the Linging Dead '90" i dont know about you but i love it.
Hehe, I never said there werent exceptions. i actually like that remake better than the original. But for the most part, they pg-13 al;l the things that made the originals great.

Also, Romero still produced the remake :)