Old 02-06-2008, 06:29 AM
Infection Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodstok View Post
Event Horizon is pretty indicative of most of Paul W Andersons stuff, great ideas, sometimes great actors, even great special effects, yet somehow, he manages to make them not work. I love half the actors in Event Horizon, and yet i didnt feel a thing for any of the characters. He tried to make me care, but just couldnt pull it off.
Yeah, maybe thats the only flaw I saw in this. Its still worth seeing though.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:12 PM
Reality Beats Gore.

Send a message via MSN to Elliot Robertson Send a message via Skype™ to Elliot Robertson
Event Horizon (1997) - Review

I just checked out the film 'Event Horizon' directed by Paul Anderson (Alien v.s Predator, Resident Evil) starring Laurence Fishburne and Sam Neill and well, I enjoyed it.

The film is set in the year 2047, a search and rescue team is sent out to find the long-lost ship the "Event Horizon" that dissapeared shortly after it's maiden voyage.

The film launches you stright into the entanglement of mystery as the crew find and board the Event Horizon, you're quickly asking questions as the crew find mysterious things aboard the Event Horizon. The film is like the sci-fi version of "The Shining" as you're led on a voyage of psycological sci-fi mystery...

Sadly the mysterious brilliance is not upheld long as quickly the film takes a turn into classical hollywood repetetive nonsense. However, the creepy noises hang on the edge of the annoying final moments of the film.

The Horror aspect was up and down. I enjoyed some parts while others were too corny and laugh-worthy.

The film however offers quite a handful of pretty scary moments. I'd reccomend it to most of you out there that can ignore some corny moments.

My Overall Rating: 6.8/10
My Horror Rating: 7/10
IMDB's Rating: 6.3/10
Old 09-25-2010, 07:32 PM
Scares Little Kids

I used to love this movie.

When it first came out in theaters, I tried to sneak in but got caught and was forced to watch the real movie I bought a ticket for...George of the Jungle.

When I finally did get around to seeing it though, I thought it was terrifying. I actually thought it was the scariest movie I had ever seen.

I saw it again recently on HBO, and although it wasn't as good as I once remembered it being, it still held up pretty well.

I've seen it a couple time's since, and it is an entertaining watch.

You are right though in saying that it eventually evolves into typical Hollywood nonsense. It started off great and slowly went downhill.

In the end though, I think your rating is a nice ballpark figure.

I'd give it a 6/10.

"We are fascinated by the darkness in ourselves, we are fascinated by the shadow, we are fascinated by the boogeyman." - Anthony Hopkins
Old 09-26-2010, 04:40 AM
Reality Beats Gore.

Send a message via MSN to Elliot Robertson Send a message via Skype™ to Elliot Robertson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
When I finally did get around to seeing it though, I thought it was terrifying. I actually thought it was the scariest movie I had ever seen.
It was actually very terrifying from start to end. (something I forgot to put into the review as It was around 3am and I had just finished watching ;) ) As the film draws to an end though I felt they lost it when they could've made it alot better. Thanks for the Reply.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:02 AM
Evil Dead

I really want to love this movie. There just aren't enough sci-fi horror movies out there. I even watch it every year or so to see if I've magically come to like it. But it never happens. For me, Event Horizon has so much potential, but never attains any of it. The scariest part of the whole movie is the few seconds of audio that they play from when the ship was in the other dimension. It was so raw and intense it gets me every time. But that's it. Nothing else in this movie scares me at all. All the hallucinations are laughable and downright silly. I found that Sam Neill (don't even get me started on how terrible this guy is) at the end was such a rip-off of the doctor in Hellraiser II once he became a cenobite that I just sit there wondering if the makers of Event Horizon thought that nobody had actually seen Hellraiser II.

And yet, even though I hate the film, I still end up watching it again regularly. At least now I can alternate between this and Pandorum which is another that I hated, but will still sadly watch just to get my sci-fi horror fix.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:06 AM
Reality Beats Gore.

Quote:
Nothing else in this movie scares me at all.
I agree, are you referring to the "blood orgy" scene? If you are then I agree completely.

Quote:
All the hallucinations are laughable and downright silly.
Especially the first scream... Oh my... I couldn't stop laughing...

Quote:
I still end up watching it again regularly
Barr all the crap the film comes packaged with it still turns out a pretty decent horror. I enjoyed it... but it wasn't nearly as good as some of the Horrors I've seen.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:21 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Robertson View Post
I agree, are you referring to the "blood orgy" scene? If you are then I agree completely.

Especially the first scream... Oh my... I couldn't stop laughing...

Barr all the crap the film comes packaged with it still turns out a pretty decent horror. I enjoyed it... but it wasn't nearly as good as some of the Horrors I've seen.
Not the video. Just the audio. If I remember right, there's only a very short glimpse of the video, but you hear it for a much longer period. The video in my mind didn't really do much for me. It seemed all too typical. Chaos/hell always has to be writhing bodies and blood doesn't it? Couldn't they be a bit more original? The audio on the other hand leaves the viewer's mind to fill in the rest which of course will always be far more terrifying than anything visual.

You realize you're making me want to watch it again now. Damn you. I'll probably have to make it a double-feature with Pandorum and get both out of my system at once.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:01 PM
Reality Beats Gore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siorai View Post
Not the video. Just the audio. If I remember right, there's only a very short glimpse of the video, but you hear it for a much longer period.
The creepy latin guy? Yeah, I agree. In that distorted voice talking about save me from hell... that is among one of the scariest, if not the, moments of the film.

But Yeah, Event Horizon now lies on my top 50 Horror Movies list. And that ain't no mainstream list!
Old 10-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Now she has us.

Shame a version with the cut and edited out parts included as a full film, was never released... I spent months reading the speculation and hoping they'd release a full special edition.

<CENTER>
http://www.horror.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic2020_5.gif</CENTER>

Old 10-05-2010, 01:19 PM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShankS View Post
Shame a version with the cut and edited out parts included as a full film, was never released... I spent months reading the speculation and hoping they'd release a full special edition.
Haha I knew this thread might bring you out, Shanksy. :D

Yeah, from the descriptions I read, a full uncut and unrated edition would have kicked some serious ass. Too bad all that stuff is lost now.