Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum

Old 10-01-2017, 06:07 AM
This is a test

Talking AN " ANYTHING GOES" DEDICATED HALLOWEEN THREAD

Something Roif mentioned on another thread made me start this thread this October 1st. You can talk about all things halloween. Costumes, movies, TV shows, candies, decorations etc. Even funny halloween commercials or not so funny. Halloweens from way back or Halloweens from the future.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:05 PM
ventricle

When you went trick-or-treating as a child, what "treats" did you dislike the most?

1. Orange and black paper wrapped peanut butter taffies: Maybe as an adult, one might acquire a taste for them, but I didn't know any child that liked them. Maybe it's a classic of elderly wanting plenty of these left behind for themselves.

2. Spider Rings: The allure ran out in a couple minutes... and then a lifetime of hatred is left. I think I cut the spider off the ring for a toy and practical joke on the lucky ladies of the household.

3. An Apple: Thanks Dr Dentist! How... festive! I'll have to take this to the adult apple bobbing tank. "An apple on Halloween keeps the kids away!" Of course when we got one, someone had to whip across the street and say, "See that! It had a razor blade in it!"

4. A Bad Popcorn Ball: There are good popcorn balls, especially when there might be the addition of nuts, white chocolate, etc... and there are very bad popcorn balls that are too hard to bite, unpalatable, and probably were left over from last Halloween.

Last edited by Sculpt; 10-01-2017 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:08 PM
Horror Fan

Why would you make your candy look like medicine?

Old 10-02-2017, 04:03 AM
This is a test

I'm thinkin' the popcorn balls. When I was young, my dad would take them and they were usually delicious according to him. I couldnt fathom loving anything else that wasn't candy. When my kids were young, I usually threw out anything home made. Mean, eh?
Old 10-02-2017, 05:40 PM
HDC's werewolf enthusiast

Hated getting apples or raisins. Kids don't go trick-r-treatin' for fucking FRUIT!

I'd also add anything on this list not previously mentioned https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ASznZdlidI

Ramsay knows.

Supposed to be happy, but I'm only getting colder. Wear a smile on my face, but there's a demon inside.
Free to use signature images and avatars!
Old 10-02-2017, 06:17 PM
This is a test

Hey, Gordon, I loved candy corn til you described it as earwax, lol! He called those candies "smarties" but I think he meant Rockets. And I'm probably one of the few people that like the halloween taffy kisses.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:09 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloof View Post
Hey, Gordon, I loved candy corn til you described it as earwax, lol! He called those candies "smarties" but I think he meant Rockets. And I'm probably one of the few people that like the halloween taffy kisses.
I really like Candycorn. Like the taste and the consistency. I guess a lot of kids/people don't, but they'll sometimes mention the shape as a reason, which is a little strange.

In the US, they're called Smarties (smarting is the face one makes when they experience the sour taste). In Canadia they call them Rockets because... well, you have to ask a Canadanese person.

Bloof, but did you like the peanut butter taffy kisses when you were a child?

Old 10-02-2017, 09:12 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post

Half the time those candies cut my tongue... that's why I stay away from them. Otherwise, they taste pretty good. But ya, the presentation seems rather formal.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:16 AM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
When you went trick-or-treating as a child, what "treats" did you dislike the most?

1. Orange and black paper wrapped peanut butter taffies: Maybe as an adult, one might acquire a taste for them, but I didn't know any child that liked them. Maybe it's a classic of elderly wanting plenty of these left behind for themselves.

2. Spider Rings: The allure ran out in a couple minutes... and then a lifetime of hatred is left. I think I cut the spider off the ring for a toy and practical joke on the lucky ladies of the household.

3. An Apple: Thanks Dr Dentist! How... festive! I'll have to take this to the adult apple bobbing tank. "An apple on Halloween keeps the kids away!" Of course when we got one, someone had to whip across the street and say, "See that! It had a razor blade in it!"

4. A Bad Popcorn Ball: There are good popcorn balls, especially when there might be the addition of nuts, white chocolate, etc... and there are very bad popcorn balls that are too hard to bite, unpalatable, and probably were left over from last Halloween.

1. Yes those were terrible. I always thought they were just old or it was me. They had that generic paper wrapping without a label and were always untouched. I don't know why people even put them in baskets.

2. I really don't like spiders that much even though I like Spider-Man. I don't like rings and I thought wearing a spider shaped ring made little sense.

3. I never liked bobbing for apples. I recall when I got older a group of us were talking about backwash if you drank after someone. The idea of sticking part of your face in water after multiple other people is gross.

4. When I was young l liked popcorn. Perhaps it was good back then or loaded with salt or special movie seasoning. These days I don't eat it and when I do I hate it when the corn isn't popped. I don't ever remember coming across that problem when I was young. But I do remember some places had good cheese popcorn and caramel popcorn was ok. But only once I had popcorn balls. I was very young. Maybe between first and fifth grade. Someone made strawberry popcorn balls and I remember they were the best thing ever. I want to try making that one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post

These look similar to a strawberry candy I used to get but I thought they were European. I'm going to look into it from your image label as I remember getting them from a new market type store back in the late 80s / early 90s. And they were good.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:51 AM
This is a test

Rockets are called Smarties? Huh but there's also the chocolate candy covered Smarties too. The peanut butter taffy was ok, I didn't mind getting it. The candy Mike put up look like cough drops or Halls...yuk. My grandmother always had those ones in her purse.

Last edited by Bloof; 10-03-2017 at 05:46 AM.