Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

View Poll Results: Better remake made during 80's
The Thing 11 84.62%
The Blob 0 0%
The Fly 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2015, 04:49 PM
Evil Dead

Which 80's Remake was The Best...

Which horror remake, made during the golden age of cinema terror, was the best of the decade?

The Fly starring Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis.

The Thing Starring Kurt Russell

Or The Blob starring Kevin Dylan and Shawnee Smith.

My vote is for The Fly.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:27 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Voldemort View Post
Which horror remake, made during the golden age of cinema terror, was the best of the decade?

The Fly starring Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis.

The Thing Starring Kurt Russell

Or The Blob starring Kevin Dylan and Shawnee Smith.

My vote is for The Fly.
Never saw the Blob remake.

The Thing and The Fly are both excellent. I think The Fly had more to say and said it well, had more depth of character and story, but I found the ending disappointing, somehow abrupt, seemingly cliche and unsatisfying. Perhaps Gina Davis's dream fractured the ability of the ending to hit the right focus (Seth's intentions), statement and emphasis (which I can only theorize on).

Whereas The Thing stayed on track with it's simple premise. Stayed fascinating and mysterious in an extremely engrossing experience.

I think The Fly is more important, but The Thing a better film.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:54 PM
Evil Dead

Heh I haven't seen The Thing since forever. The way you describe it makes me want to watch it again.

I saw the 00's remake and even though I didn't remember much from the 80's version I knew it was better.

As for The Fly's final moments; it's abruptness is what made it so powerful, in my mind. The fact that there would be no happy Hollywood ending makes its so rewatchable. Knowing from the second he was spliced with that insect Grundel's fate was forever sealed; making death his only alternative. Such an ending elevated the film as a timeless masterpiece.

Last edited by Lord Voldemort; 12-01-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:53 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Voldemort View Post
Heh I haven't seen The Thing since forever. The way you describe it makes me want to watch it again.

I saw the 00's remake and even though I didn't remember much from the 80's version I knew it was better.

As for The Fly's final moments; it's abruptness is what made it so powerful, in my mind. The fact that there would be no happy Hollywood ending makes its so rewatchable. Knowing from the second he was spliced with that insect Grundel's fate was forever sealed; making death his only alternative. Such an ending elevated the film as a timeless masterpiece.
SPOILERS....

I didn't have a problem with the story having Seth trying to absorb his pregnant lover, or him getting fused with machine, or his ending death. On the contrary, they're most fitting for this anti-ubermensch tale.

My problem was with the films focus being derailed, so close to the climax conclusion, by Gina Davis' birth nightmare and and abortion contemplation upheaval. IMO, that was a critical focus mistake.

It's inclusion is generally better suited to a novel, or ensemble cast TV series, not a razor sharp character tragedy driven film.

Last edited by Sculpt; 12-24-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:20 PM
HDC's werewolf enthusiast

These 3 options were unexpected... lots of 80s horror was remade, why limit it to only these few?

Supposed to be happy, but I'm only getting colder. Wear a smile on my face, but there's a demon inside.
Free to use signature images and avatars!
Old 12-28-2015, 08:12 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roiffalo View Post
These 3 options were unexpected... lots of 80s horror was remade, why limit it to only these few?
That's news to me? What were some of the others remakes made during the 80's?
Old 12-28-2015, 10:32 PM
HDC's werewolf enthusiast

I read your first post wrong, you want movies remade in the 80s not 80s movies remade, my bad. Still... only three during that time?

Supposed to be happy, but I'm only getting colder. Wear a smile on my face, but there's a demon inside.
Free to use signature images and avatars!
Old 02-25-2016, 10:48 AM
Evil Dead

The Thing.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:08 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Never saw the Blob remake.

The Thing and The Fly are both excellent. I think The Fly had more to say and said it well, had more depth of character and story, but I found the ending disappointing, somehow abrupt, seemingly cliche and unsatisfying. Perhaps Gina Davis's dream fractured the ability of the ending to hit the right focus (Seth's intentions), statement and emphasis (which I can only theorize on).

Whereas The Thing stayed on track with it's simple premise. Stayed fascinating and mysterious in an extremely engrossing experience.

I think The Fly is more important, but The Thing a better film.
Agree wholeheartedly with You about THE THING...one of the best films ever.
Liked THE FLY, but don't find myself drawn too much to it.

If You haven't yet, check out the 1988 BLOB...pretty damn good little film. Amazing FX, good cast and definitely a sense of fun to it.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:52 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
Agree wholeheartedly with You about THE THING...one of the best films ever.
Liked THE FLY, but don't find myself drawn too much to it.

If You haven't yet, check out the 1988 BLOB...pretty damn good little film. Amazing FX, good cast and definitely a sense of fun to it.
So The Blob 1988... meh.

It had some nifty 80's-dated FX and Shawnee Smith's pretty face... but nothing else. It was more of an homage to other sci-fi films without being the least bit thought provoking. Or it's a bit of a parody to The Blob, without being the least bit funny. Very poor character development -- didn't care about, nor even believe, in any character. Wasn't scary, and built little suspense -- though I do applaud the phone booth scene.

It even miffed on it's chances at some sci-fi wonderment, which, for The Blob, is just inexcusable. I've always liked it when the scientist, stands before the generals and president, explains the creature and how we're all in big trouble. They didn't even have that.

Last edited by Sculpt; 02-26-2016 at 10:31 PM.

Tags
the blob, the fly, the thing