Old 11-13-2006, 05:43 PM
Smack My Titties

Nekromantik is a beautiful film - what is fucked up about it?

Please don't say 'sex with dead bodies' - I can't believe there are still some people left unable to distinguish between subject and desire.

The music soundtrack is fantastic, the acting and cinematography restrained but never too arty, the narrative is grim but constantly fascinating, and of course when the necrophelia raises its head one is shocked but can't look away. That the special effects in this department are subtle and matter-of-fact adds to the serious tone of the film, and overall viewer satisfaction.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:18 PM
Tenant

I'm not against the film because of it's subject of necrophelia, otherwise I would have never seen the film to begin with.

It's the fact that, to me, it seemed like the only reason they made the film in the first place was to film graphic scenes of necrophelia, which I don't enjoy watching. I saw no traces of a good plot, and a lot of the scenes were seemed to be thrown in there just to be thrown in there (i.e. the rabbit skinning scene...).

It was just bizarre exploitation, and in my own personal opinion it was executed poorly.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:46 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkytrio666 View Post
I'm not against the film because of it's subject of necrophelia, otherwise I would have never seen the film to begin with.

It's the fact that, to me, it seemed like the only reason they made the film in the first place was to film graphic scenes of necrophelia, which I don't enjoy watching. I saw no traces of a good plot, and a lot of the scenes were seemed to be thrown in there just to be thrown in there (i.e. the rabbit skinning scene...).

It was just bizarre exploitation, and in my own personal opinion it was executed poorly.

Poor story, bad acting... I prefer Aftermath to quench my necrophelia thirst. Not that, you know, I'm ever really thirsty for that. I just think the movie could have had a more cohesive story and actually went somewhere instead of spiraling into the mess that it became.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:55 PM
Smack My Titties

*** SPOILER ***

I don't think it became a mess, and wasn't particularly incoherent in its three-way love story (granted, one is dead - but his remains are 'loved' anyway). The guy simply goes nuts and commits gory suicide at the end after killing a woman in a frustrated rage.

As far as necrophelia-themed films go, you might prefer the less graphic Kissed or the more straightforward Aftermath, but all of these explore a link between sex and death and I think Nekromantik is more tender than the others. The simple art design and effective soundtrack help to make it so, and some of the special effects are subtly excellent without dragging the film down into gore-for-gore's sake.

The half-beheading and rabbit-skinning scenes (not done for the movie) are a little jarring, but I don't find them particularly out of place. I think Jorg Buttgereit explained the reference to the rabbit in the DVD commentary, but I can't remember what it was.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:13 PM
Tenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3SSUR3 View Post
*** SPOILER ***

I don't think it became a mess, and wasn't particularly incoherent in its three-way love story (granted, one is dead - but his remains are 'loved' anyway). The guy simply goes nuts and commits gory suicide at the end after killing a woman in a frustrated rage.

As far as necrophelia-themed films go, you might prefer the less graphic Kissed or the more straightforward Aftermath, but all of these explore a link between sex and death and I think Nekromantik is more tender than the others. The simple art design and effective soundtrack help to make it so, and some of the special effects are subtly excellent without dragging the film down into gore-for-gore's sake.

The half-beheading and rabbit-skinning scenes (not done for the movie) are a little jarring, but I don't find them particularly out of place. I think Jorg Buttgereit explained the reference to the rabbit in the DVD commentary, but I can't remember what it was.
You have some interesting and very valid points.

I think I'll have to check this one out again. Maybe with commentary, which I meant to do when I rented it, but I was too unnerved.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:35 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3SSUR3 View Post
*** SPOILER ***

To each their own, I just didn't really like this movie but it wasn't because "sex with dead people is bad". I guess my biggest qualm was the fact that I didn't get to know the female character better, there doesn't always have to be a why but in this case a little insight into her obsession would have been nice. I was simply dissapointed for many reasons but just because I thought it was a mess doesn't mean that it isn't a masterpiece to somebody else. I'll be seeing the second one in a week or so, the first at least got me interested enough to see number 2.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:24 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to makemebad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
To each their own, I just didn't really like this movie but it wasn't because "sex with dead people is bad". I guess my biggest qualm was the fact that I didn't get to know the female character better, there doesn't always have to be a why but in this case a little insight into her obsession would have been nice. I was simply dissapointed for many reasons but just because I thought it was a mess doesn't mean that it isn't a masterpiece to somebody else. I'll be seeing the second one in a week or so, the first at least got me interested enough to see number 2.
the 2nd one has a little more character development..... and their isnt much screwed up stuff in it till the end scene hits

Top 10 Horror Movies (No Order)
1. House Of 1000 Corpses
2. Phantasm
3. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (74)
4. Haute Tension
5. The Blair Witch Project
6. Saw
7. Hellraiser II
8. The Thing (82)
9. Dead Alive
10. Halloween