Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Upcoming Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-02-2009, 06:38 PM
Racingblueelephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Return View Post
Horrible idea. The first was brilliant in part because of it's advertising strategy, but more so because of its ambiguity. We've already had one shitty sequel (sorry Flayed), and I'd really rather not see another.
Ambiguity? Please explain?

I figured it pretty much clear that it all ended badly for all concerned...
Old 09-02-2009, 09:05 PM
For Vendetta

There's been talk about this before, but now one of the original film's directors, Eduardo Sanchez, is saying that he and his co-director from the first movie are working up a new installment in the long-dormant series.

While appearing on The Everything Film Show podcast, Sanchez said that he and Daniel Myrick are getting ready to pitch a new take on their guerilla horror film (which is now 10 years old, believe it or not).

"Our original idea for Blair Witch was to go through all of the periods of the mythology … and make a movie about them," says Sanchez. "And we wanted to start at the beginning and do the story of Elly Kedward, the original [person]... The Blair Witch is named after her."

But the current plan is to not go the prequel route but rather to follow up some 15 years after the original film's characters disappeared. Sanchez doesn't give many details beyond that, but he does say that he and Myrick are going to pitch Lionsgate on the project soon -- Lionsgate being the owner of the rights these days.

So this is far from a done deal to be sure, but with Hollywood's penchant for rebooting old horror faves these days, let's not rule out another Blair Witch quite yet.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:34 AM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racingblueelephant View Post
Ambiguity? Please explain?

I figured it pretty much clear that it all ended badly for all concerned...
No question it ended badly for the characters...but what the Hell happened? The existence of the supernatural was the ambiguous part - was there actually a long dead witch back from the dead? Or just a psychopath fucking with them? Or paranoid hallucinations?

The directors purposely left out any explanations. I think that qualifies as "ambiguous".
Old 10-02-2009, 08:34 PM
For Vendetta

Bloody-Disgusting recently had the chance to sit down with the filmmakers Ed Sanchez and Dan Myrick to talk about the anniversary and the pair revealed that progress is apparently being made on a sequel.

"Between Dan and me and the Haxan guys that did the original Blair Witch, we are about as far along on a sequel idea as we've ever been," said Sanchez. "This is the first idea that Dan and I have really latched onto that we thought, 'It would be cool.' It's a completely different kind of film, but we think it's in the original spirit of the first one."

"We've been working on an idea and it's a concept that we like a lot," added Myrick. "I can't say anything about it now. Ed and I feel that the timing is right and enough time has gone by that the backlash to Blair Witch has kind of subsided and a new generation of kids are out to embrace a Blair Witch franchise on the merits of the movie itself rather than it trying to live up or be what the first film was, which it never will be. Our hope is that the sequel will stay within the mythology that we created in the first film and stand on its own two feet; just be a good, cool, thoughtful scary movie that resurrects a franchise that we feel very close to. Hopefully Lionsgate will agree and want to move forward on it."

"Everybody that I've talked to wants the prequel, that story of the witch," said Sanchez. "We still want to make that, but the powers that be will not let that happen right now. If we do the sequel and it makes some money and there's motivation to do another one, then maybe we can push the prequel a little bit."