Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-01-2008, 07:42 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

The Best Damn Cartoons Ever

i know .. i'm 'older' ... but between having a kid and always keeping in touch with pop culture - i've kept myself aware of the cartoons through the decades.

i know they have hit a new level of sophistication - the Simpsons being the vanguard ...

but i still have to say after all these years ...there's no better cartoons than the old origional Bugs Bunny cartoons. (some of the old disney Goofy and Donald Duck cartoons come close)
I love the old 40's and 50's lingo, the suits and hats of the time everyone wears ... i love the amount of art that went into the backgrounds...
and i get a huge kick out of how they have that innocence on one hand, and that evil spirit on the other. Over 50 years later and despite the look and feel of the time when they were made - they are still somehow as fresh and funny and clever as if they were made yesterday.

anyone else out there (old enough) feel this way ?
Old 10-01-2008, 07:49 AM
Fear scented candle

I miss the Looney Toons they used to play on saturday mornings, the old Mel Blanc stuff. Back when Daffy wasnt always the asshole and no matter how many times they redid the same joke, it was always funny.

Later incarnations have always felt like half-assed knock-offs. especially since most of the voice actors for kids cartoons operate in a closed circle, so you have a small body of pretty sad, talentless hacks providing the same generic voices for a multitude of cartoons. there are some exceptions, Billy West is always good, but if you paid attention during the 90s, the same guy did the voice of Brain from pinky and the brain, also used the EXACT SAME VOICE for Orson Wells on several cartoons (and for the record, he sounded nothing like him...)same with whatever retard they had doing Foghorn leghorn on tiny toons. Not only did he not sound like the original, but he used the same voice for the "hip" animated colonel sanders in KFC commercials...

I hate it when they replace actors and expect everyone to be dumb enough to not notice a change.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:50 AM
MINION OF GOZER

I miss the real Ghostbusters cartoon.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:51 AM
Mighty HDC Drunken Pirate

Love the Looney Tunes! I own the first collection, and I quote them all the time!

It really amazes me how much they've seem to fallen away from the younger crowd. When I was I tyke, you could catch some every day after school and an hour on Saturdays. Of course, as far as I know the local network stations don't do the mid-afternoon kids variety shows anymore (like Bozo the Clown or Mr. Cartoon)

I used to work with a guy with the last name Easter. I started saying "I WANT AN EASTER EGG! I WANT AN EASTER EGG!" to him, and he just didn't get it. I told him to go home and look up Easter Yeggs on YouTube. Don't know if he ever did or not.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:52 AM
Waste Disposer

Bugs Bunny and the gangsters.

"No, no, hide in HERE!"
Old 10-01-2008, 07:53 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil-Hunter View Post
I miss the real Ghostbusters cartoon.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:54 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flayed One View Post
Love the Looney Tunes! I own the first collection, and I quote them all the time!

It really amazes me how much they've seem to fallen away from the younger crowd. .
big problem is they're shown edited now .. some so much so - you cant even figure out whats going on.

(you cant get shot by a gun - it's completely cut out)
Old 10-01-2008, 07:55 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

I'm a huge Looney Tunes fan - i was lucky to see Chuck Jones lecture before he died. He was amazing he was like a big kid and still got a thrill from all the characters..

new stuff I like:

Ren and Stimpy

Invader Zim
Old 10-01-2008, 08:00 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to La Chat Noire
I miss the old Pink Panther cartoons. Those were my favorite.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:04 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Chat Noire View Post
I miss the old Pink Panther cartoons. Those were my favorite.

oh lord - i bought the boxset for my kid ... i think they're unwatcheable...

on par with the roadrunner (the same thing over and over again - with terrible animation art ....

but - to each his/her own !