Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-04-2013, 04:12 AM
HDC's old chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsaw Killer View Post
I still have to see the V/H/S movies, been intrigued to see both of them.
I saw the first one, thought it was entertaining enough. Still have to see the second one.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:34 AM
Little Boo

Dawn of the Dead. IMO .. the original has a wtf scene involving a bunch of biker gang members which has no valid reason to be in the film and is quite silly.The new version is much better I think.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:00 AM
Evil Dead

I watched V/H/S 1 and 2 not long ago. I thought they were both pretty good fun and would have a hard time picking a favourite.

Both have some good sub-stories, though I didn't really click with the Ring-style death by video thingy...

In some ways I personally preferred 1 - the found footage in 2 seemed a bit too contrived in places and occasionaly spoiled the flow/immersion for me.

Both very good films anyway imo, some of it quite inventive and with a few moments of (unintentional?) hilarity. I did think the last segment of 2 was a poor choice. Enjoyable enough but guys in Roswell-style alien suits are never going to be frightening really. Or not in this anyway.

Last edited by Sicknero; 09-04-2013 at 03:05 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-04-2013, 09:55 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Dawn of the Dead. IMO .. the original has a wtf scene involving a bunch of biker gang members which has no valid reason to be in the film and is quite silly.The new version is much better I think.

Are you referring to the Dawn OTD remake there?
Old 09-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Hellraiser

I liked the new Dawn of the Dead more than the original as well. I never thought I'd find someone who agrees with me.
As for actual sequels, though...hmm...
I liked Hostel Part 2 more than the first. I thought it was way more satisfying and entertaining. The first was decent enough, but I expected more from it.
I also find Saw 2 to be a criminally underrated sequel. It had one of the best twist endings in the entire series, and I liked how more people were involved in the main trap.
Evil Dead 2 is not only my favorite from its franchise, but one of my favorite horror movies of all time. I'm not sure if it counts, though, since it's technically a remake.
Hellbound: Hellraiser 2 is another one I find underrated. A lot of people hated the finale, but I had no qualms with it. The film holds a special place in my heart for being the first ever Hellraiser movie I watched. I saw it back when I was 11, and it left an impression on me.
Subspecies 2 is miles above its predecessor. I found the first one to be an absolute bore, but from start to finish I enjoyed the hell out of the second.
Also, I'd like to make mention of my favorite prequels. Puppet Master 3: Toulon's Revenge was my favorite in the PM series. There was more suspense, more personality, and you can never go wrong with a movie that involves killing Nazis.
I don't know how many of you consider Planet of the Apes to be horror, but Rise of the Planet of the Apes is one of my all time favorite films. I think it has its place in the horror genre, being a cautionary tale about man's self-destructive nature.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:54 AM
Evil Dead

I remember seeing the first two or three Subspecies films as a kid, I sort of seem to remember liking the second the best from my memory.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:27 PM
Scares Little Kids

I recently watched the first 3 Universal "Frankenstein" movies and I think each is better than the one before. Especially Son of Frankenstein which is really well paced and structured.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:03 PM
Evil Dead

I can't remember if I even saw the Frankenstein sequels, been so long since I saw the old Universal Horror films.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:51 AM
Scares Little Kids

Phantasm 2

Friday the 13th parts 2, 4, 6

Bride of frankenstein/Son of frankenstein

Day of the dead, Dawn of the dead

Silence of the lambs

The devil's Rejects

I don't know if this counts has horror but The toxic avenger 4

maniac cop 2

Leprechaun 2, 3

Wrong turn 2

28 weeks later
Old 04-05-2014, 02:45 AM
Evil Dead

I liked 28 WEEKS LATER myself.
Also THE MUMMY'S HAND (1940-actually moves compared to the Karloff film), REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1958), BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1935-still love the original too) and DRACULA'S DAUGHTER (1936).