Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies

Old 07-11-2018, 07:39 AM
Evil Dead

nightmare on elm st.

It sort of makes you wonder how the town's police chief got to be married to that woman. What could the back story be?
Old 07-11-2018, 08:12 AM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoneus1957 View Post
Of course you don't like Freddy Krueger! He's the villain. What, did you think he was the hero?

I remember reading the book The Dead Zone. In the first chapter, Stephen King oh-so-subtly hints to us that Greg Stillson might be a bad person by having him kick a dog to death. I don't think that was in the movie.

My friend Victor can do that line from the movie, with good voice:

"Gentlemen, the missiles are flyin'! Halleluja!"
I normally like villains a lot more than I do heroes.

But even I have to draw the line at some of the evil things they can do.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:55 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Of course you don't like Freddy Krueger! He's the villain. What, did you think he was the hero?

I remember reading the book The Dead Zone. In the first chapter, Stephen King oh-so-subtly hints to us that Greg Stillson might be a bad person by having him kick a dog to death. I don't think that was in the movie.

My friend Victor can do that line from the movie, with good voice:

"Gentlemen, the missiles are flyin'! Halleluja!"
That line's from the movie The Dead Zone? I don't remember that. I don't remember missiles. Actually, I know The Dead Zone was a very popular film, but I didn't really like it. I probably saw it too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho View Post
I normally like villains a lot more than I do heroes.

But even I have to draw the line at some of the evil things they can do.
Did the Elm series indicate he was a pedophile? I don't remember that. I know there was some made-for-tv movie that gave his origin story in more detail: a nun got locked in an insane asylum for the criminally insane and got raped by all the inmates and the baby was Freddy. It's silly they stressed "all the inmates" as if multiple sperm can fertilize an egg. Anyway, as far as I can remember, Freddy doesn't kill any prepubescent person in the films, so I think that concept is out the window.

Last edited by Sculpt; 07-17-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:01 AM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
That line's from the movie The Dead Zone? I don't remember that. I don't remember missiles. Actually, I know The Dead Zone was a very popular film, but I didn't really like it. I probably saw it too late.

Did the Elm series indicate he was a pedophile? I don't remember that. I know there was some made-for-tv movie that gave his origin story in more detail: a nun got locked in an insane asylum for the criminally insane and got raped by all the inmates and the baby was Freddy. It's silly they stressed "all the inmates" as if multiple sperm can fertilize an egg. Anyway, as far as I can remember, Freddy doesn't kill any prepubescent person in the films, so I think that concept is out the window.
There was a remake made in 2010 that went with the child molester route for Freddy Krueger's background and the teens in the movie that he was trying to kill were former kids that went to an elementary school where he worked as a janitor and he was molesting them.

In the original movies from the 1980's it never stated that he was a pedophile but he was in fact a child killer and that was the reason why the parents of elm street burned him alive. In fact I'm pretty positive that the creepy little children who appear in the nightmares are meant to be some of his younger victims.

And I guess the reason that the movies never actually showed him killing young children was because like any slasher movie it's only amusing when he's killing annoying teenage stereotypes (played by 20 year old actors of course)

Last edited by LuvablePsycho; 07-23-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:13 AM
Evil Dead

I thought in the remake he just cut the kids rather than abused them. I didn't really get that.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:26 AM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgetusk View Post
I thought in the remake he just cut the kids rather than abused them. I didn't really get that.
I'm pretty sure in the remake he abused them. In fact "Nancy" was his favorite victim.

But I dunno I mean I'm not really a big fan of these movies and I haven't watched them in years so I might be remembering some of the facts wrong.

Last edited by LuvablePsycho; 08-25-2018 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:28 AM
Evil Dead

it doesn't even apply

I don't think it applies to The Dead Zone, but have you ever noticed that usually in American movies, the bad guy has much better manners than the good guy? Especially if the bad guy is European. I guess American men think it's not manly to be polite.

Let's shed a tear for the late Herbert Lom *sniff*, who died in 2017. I thought his performance as the doctor in Dead Zone was one of the best things in the movie. Lately, for some reason, my cable has been repeatedly showing the Herbert Lom version of Phantom of the Opera.

If you want to see a delightful Lom performance, watch "The Ladykillers." (the original one.)

I hope Herbert Lom's last days were lightened by residuals from all those Pink Panther movies, the way Alec Guinness's was from the money from Star Wars.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:26 AM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
I don't think it applies to The Dead Zone, but have you ever noticed that usually in American movies, the bad guy has much better manners than the good guy? Especially if the bad guy is European. I guess American men think it's not manly to be polite
I have noticed that too. I guess it's because we Americans as a culture don't value manners and civility. We prefer heroes who solve problems with brute force and who aren't afraid to speak their minds directly about everything. I guess that's why we have a reputation for being so vulgar and mouthy.

But sometimes you get American movies where the villain is your typical impolite Yank. Especially if he's military or gangster.

Last edited by LuvablePsycho; 08-25-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:58 PM
ventricle

Quote:
I don't think it applies to The Dead Zone, but have you ever noticed that usually in American movies, the bad guy has much better manners than the good guy? Especially if the bad guy is European. I guess American men think it's not manly to be polite.

Let's shed a tear for the late Herbert Lom *sniff*, who died in 2017. I thought his performance as the doctor in Dead Zone was one of the best things in the movie. Lately, for some reason, my cable has been repeatedly showing the Herbert Lom version of Phantom of the Opera.

If you want to see a delightful Lom performance, watch "The Ladykillers." (the original one.)

I hope Herbert Lom's last days were lightened by residuals from all those Pink Panther movies, the way Alec Guinness's was from the money from Star Wars.
What country are you from, idoneus? Yes, there are a lot prim and proper villains in US films, especially European villains. The Americas were the frontier from the "Old World". Escaping Kings and legal nobility is part of the fabric of the US, so the European villains may have the nobility etiquette, which may include 'good manners' as you say, but not necessarily ultimate morality. There's a subplot of stripping off the 'good mask', but also perhaps just makes a more charismatic character.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:07 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
What country are you from, idoneus? Yes, there are a lot prim and proper villains in US films, especially European villains. The Americas were the frontier from the "Old World". Escaping Kings and legal nobility is part of the fabric of the US, so the European villains may have the nobility etiquette, which may include 'good manners' as you say, but not necessarily ultimate morality. There's a subplot of stripping off the 'good mask', but also perhaps just makes a more charismatic character.
I agree. I think Americans at the time were sick and tired of privilaged European nobles and royals being held to a higher regard than the common man who were being abused and exploited as they starved to death and worked their asses off for nothing.

I guess that way of thinking is still expressed in our movies and yet the majority of our movies and TV shows are focused on the lives and adventures of rich white families living in nice big houses.

Ironic isn't it?