http://www.amazon.com/Murderland-Par...6225700&sr=1-1

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 06-10-2010, 08:13 PM
Masoch's mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Here are some reviews on Amazon from Doc's first published book:

Brilliant- thanks for that. I will definitely be tracking down the Murderland books next x
Old 06-11-2010, 06:23 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Amazon doesn't really do promotion for small presses. There isn't much money in it for them. I should probably bring up some of the reviews of these books. Thank you for the suggestion. I really have no clue what to do about the Amazon blog. The no promotions thing is really just the tip of the iceberg. The prejudice we have to deal with goes way beyond that. I held a copy of my book in my hand, a book that was on shelves at a Borders about three miles away and had a Barnes and Noble employee tell me it did not exist. I had a friend who was told by a Borders district manager to "stay away from vanity presses" when he tried to get his book, published by Eraserhead, a press whose books have gotten blurbs from people ranging from Warren Ellis to Lloyd Kaufman, on the shelves. Everything we do we have do for ourselves and in spite of the ignorance and myopia of booksellers.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:24 AM
Mephistophiliac

Quote:
Here are some reviews on Amazon from Doc's first published book:

Thanks, Lee!
Old 06-11-2010, 06:32 AM
Cranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Faustus View Post
Amazon doesn't really do promotion for small presses. There isn't much money in it for them. I should probably bring up some of the reviews of these books. Thank you for the suggestion. I really have no clue what to do about the Amazon blog. The no promotions thing is really just the tip of the iceberg. The prejudice we have to deal with goes way beyond that. I held a copy of my book in my hand, a book that was on shelves at a Borders about three miles away and had a Barnes and Noble employee tell me it did not exist. I had a friend who was told by a Borders district manager to "stay away from vanity presses" when he tried to get his book, published by Eraserhead, a press whose books have gotten blurbs from people ranging from Warren Ellis to Lloyd Kaufman, on the shelves. Everything we do we have do for ourselves and in spite of the ignorance and myopia of booksellers.
Does your book have an ISBN number? That would probably make it exist for the corporate book chains.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 06-11-2010, 06:58 AM
No, fuck YOU

Linwood Barclay "No time for goodbye"
Old 06-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Mephistophiliac

Quote:
Does your book have an ISBN number? That would probably make it exist for the corporate book chains.
Yes, but I showed her the ISBN, but she wasn't willing to look it up in the system.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Evil Dead

1977 and 1980, by David Peace - The novels continuing Peace's excellent North of England noir series. The plots are very similar, but it seems to me that Peace is making a point about the recurrence of patterns in the world. Dark, ugly, scary stuff here - recommended to anyone who likes hard-edged noir.

Talking with Serial Killers, by Christopher Berry-Dee - A sloppy, disappointing book. Mixes serial killers with other kinds of killers, changes quotes to British idiom (what other quotes have been changed then?), and makes a ton of copyediting mistakes, including crucial errors of fact. Some interesting quotes, but not a great book.

Sam

New horror comics each month | Vols. 1 & 2 on sale now - just $15 each.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Mephistophiliac

I'm in the middle of A Choir of Ill Children by Tom Piccirilli. An awesomely weird Southern Gothic that's well worth looking into. I'd also like to put in a recommendation for Gina Ranalli's House of Fallen Trees. Like a contemporary and more macabre treatment of Shirley Jackson.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:39 AM
Wanna Join?

"The Outsider" by H.P. Lovecraft, another creepy gem from the Penguin trove THE CALL OF CTHULHU AND OTHER WEIRD STORIES edited by S.T. Joshi. If IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE can be viewed as the true pilot for THE TWILIGHT ZONE, then "The Outsider" would feel right at home in the premiere issue of TALES FROM THE CRYPT, it has that certain slant of bite. Now I'm breezing through FRANK R. PAUL: THE FATHER OF SCIENCE FICTION ART. Beautiful, stunning, mind-blowing.

"Within the framework of most horror tales we find a moral code so strong it would make a Puritan smile." Stephen King, DANSE MACABRE