Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Horror Filmmakers

Old 07-18-2014, 11:48 AM
Little Boo

Thumbs up Mermaid Horror: New Movie Chops off Mermaid Tail

I found this sizzle reel and it BLEW MY MIND! Here's the video on vimeo:
https://vimeo.com/81635504

Here's a snippet from an article I found about the director. Really into this! What do you guys think?

$300 Dollar Sizzle Reel For Mermaid Horror Film Has Industry Buzzing

Mermaid Down is the award winning and highly original story of a Mermaid Thrown into a Mental Home after Her Tail is Chopped Off with an Axe. Created by up-and-coming filmmaker, Jeffrey Grellman.

Jeffrey Grellman has been obsessed with film-making since he first got his hands on a video camera at eight years old. He built models from scratch and blew them up on camera, made foam and latex creatures in his mom's garage, and filmed over 200 short films by the time he reached high school.

At 18 years old, film companies started taking notice of his unusual gifts and his ability to write scripts that move beyond conventional hollywood fare and into new and exciting, unseen stories. However, the road to big-budget filmmaking was paved with producer's empty promises and shelved films. "I had everyone's attention and excitement but studios kept becoming more and more brand-centric", says Grellman, "so funding kept going to pre-conceived concepts, franchises and sequels. Sadly, there just aren't a lot of original scripts getting funded anymore."

But Grellman didn't let that deter him. He fought back by sending a new script to prestigious festivals where it has been recognized and awarded with industry and media attention; taking matters into his own hands, he directed a sizzle reel. With only three hundred dollars to work with, he shot it with a low-grade cropped sensor DSLR camera, duct-taped it down to an old wheel chair as a make-shift dolly and built an underwater housing for the camera out of an "igloo" beer cooler (with dumbbell weights attached to mitigate buoyancy) so he could film underwater. https://vimeo.com/81635504
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2014-07-01 at 2.32.10 PM.png (80.0 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by EvilDeadJunkie; 07-18-2014 at 11:49 AM.

Tags
bloody, indie horror, killer mermaid, movies, new horror film