Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Horror Fiction Posts
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-06-2008, 09:30 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Well, I'm doing the best I can! I bought yours and Sean's products!
I know, thanks a ton. I've been mucking around with ways to make people more aware of small press books without having to go through zines, but I'm still coming up short of ideas. The main issue is a general unawareness of the small press world on the part of even educated consumers. The smallest press most horror collectors can name are places like Leisure, Cemetery Dance and Bloodletting. It goes so much smaller and more varied than that. The issue often comes down to who the bookstores give shelf space and they don't take what they feel to be unnecessary risks. If there were more awareness of small press catalogs, the industry would be much better, just as if there were more awareness of independent films. I recommend www.goodreads.com for anybody looking for new, exotic stuff and a chance to network with small press authors and check out offerings from presses you might not have heard of. Lack of awareness of small presses screws everybody culturally, full the reader, to new writers who would sooner die than submit a novel without an agent. The climate can be changed for American readers with passion and information.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:44 AM
Cranky

It's the same with all media. I believe Barnes & Noble won't stock anything not from a major publisher.

Music is the same. Independent musicians have most outlets closed to them.

I have one tip for you- check out Powell's Books in Portland. It's the largest independent book store in the country. Maybe they will be willing to stock your book.

http://www.powells.com

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 08-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
I'm seriously considering relocating to Portland next month and my future employer likes the idea of me being on the West Coast and near old friends, so I'll be sure to do that.