Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Horror Fiction Posts
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-19-2004, 12:45 PM
a people person

i need help

ok ok im not the smartest person in the world. but i want to write a short story but i cant. im what they call illiterate. i can come up with cool stories put i have trouble putting them into words. is teres anyone who would like to help me write a story please post it here or e mail me at [email protected] thanx
Old 07-23-2004, 11:28 AM
Get ahold of yourself.

Send a message via AIM to massacre man
when we gonna start this?
Old 07-23-2004, 07:29 PM
Evil Dead

If you need help, I am ready to go.
________
Harley-Davidson Model JD

Last edited by thecritic; 01-19-2011 at 02:09 AM.
Old 07-24-2004, 06:14 AM
King of the Long Post

Send a message via AIM to Stingy Jack
Re: i need help

Quote:
Originally posted by last bad move
ok ok im not the smartest person in the world. but i want to write a short story but i cant. im what they call illiterate. i can come up with cool stories put i have trouble putting them into words. is teres anyone who would like to help me write a story please post it here or e mail me at [email protected] thanx
If you want to write a short story:

1. Make you sure you have a conflict. Nobody wants to read a story about people who are happy.

2. Introduce this conflict fairly early in the story. Your story should be composed of a beginning, middle, and an end. The beginning should introduce the setting, the character, and the problem the character has. Once you have established the conflict, you are done with the beginning. Move on to the middle. This is where the character struggles to overcome the conflict. You should have several small struggles, each one pointing to either a favorable or an unfavorable outcome for your character. But this is a subject entirely of its own, and I won't dwell on it here. Once the character has solved the conflict, you move into the ending where you briefly describe the outcome and how it affected your character.

3. For a short story, you want to limit your characters to 2 (three at the most), only of these being your protagonist (the main character.)

4. You want to limit the time period in which the story takes place. Ideally, the events in a short story should unfold and be over within the span of a few hours. But, there are many short stories whose plots cover more than a day.

5. Make your conflict important (for example: "Jim can't decide whether or not to put anchovies or mushrooms on his pizza" is not an important conflict). Let me put it this way, if the character can ignore the conflict and nothing terrible will happen, then it is not an interesting enough conflict.

Those are the basics of short story writing. But, I would actually need to see some work so I would know what you need work on. I'm happy to help though! :D
GOOD LORD DELIVER TO US!
Old Scotch Invocation
-- adapted by Stingy Jack

Stingy's Horror DVD Collection