Old 03-08-2009, 05:14 AM
Foxhole Atheist

Deathnote: The Last Name

Battle Royalty, 2009
@Wolf_Scousemac
Old 04-03-2009, 12:23 PM
HDC Idol

We need to be watching more Asian Horror films. This forum is just EMPTY.

*crickets*

Tell me about the Deathnote movies - Any good? Pros/Cons? Recommendations?

I watched most of Meatball Machine the other week, but haven't posted about it because I didn't finish it. Not that I didn't enjoy it; it was pretty fantastic, though it definitely dragged at times (I think that Tokyo Gore Police really improved on that theme so, seeing TGP prior to Meatball Machine really raised my hopes). I need to get around to finishing the movie, but the boyfriend is not too keen on it. Unfortunately, since we share a space, we have to "agree" on what's on TV. Hrmph.

Anyone else? Comments on Meatball Machine?

Join my Facebook Horror Group!

Last edited by ChronoGrl; 04-03-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
We need to be watching more Asian Horror films. This forum is just EMPTY.

*crickets*

I watched most of Meatball Machine the other week, but haven't posted about it because I didn't finish it. Not that I didn't enjoy it; it was pretty fantastic, though it definitely dragged at times (I think that Tokyo Gore Police really improved on that theme so, seeing TGP prior to Meatball Machine really raised my hopes). I need to get around to finishing the movie, but the boyfriend is not too keen on it. Unfortunately, since we share a space, we have to "agree" on what's on TV. Hrmph.

Anyone else? Comments on Meatball Machine?
http://www.horror.com/forum/showpost...postcount=1494
Old 04-03-2009, 01:53 PM
No, fuck YOU

I know. It's pathetique.

Maybe on my days off in the easter i get to see a few.... maybe..
Old 04-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Foxhole Atheist

Quote:

The Deathnote films are definately worth checking out.

Apparently its based on a Manga book and the storyline in the films were specifically done as a two parter, they flow into each other very smoothly. The acting is very good and the cgi (needed to portray the Death Gods) is solid.

The (very) basic idea is the main man, Light, has a book called the Deathnote, which when he writes the name of a person in it, that person will die. Time and type of death can be specified but if not, their heart will just stop. The Deathnote belongs to a death god called Ryuuk who accompanies Light and 'enforces' the power of the Deathnote(this isnt exactly correct but cant be arsed going into detail!).

The target audience seemed, to me at least, to be towards teenagers but dont let that put you off. The second film, The Last Name, is better than the first but both are worth a watch.

Battle Royalty, 2009
@Wolf_Scousemac
Old 04-05-2009, 05:00 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
I think I'm going to have to start it again from the beginning. I really loved the visuals and the absurdity of it... I also loved the love story; so comically tragic. I need to give it a second chance and not just write it off as "not as good as TGP."

Quote:
Originally Posted by scouse mac View Post
The Deathnote films are definately worth checking out.

Apparently its based on a Manga book and the storyline in the films were specifically done as a two parter, they flow into each other very smoothly. The acting is very good and the cgi (needed to portray the Death Gods) is solid.

The (very) basic idea is the main man, Light, has a book called the Deathnote, which when he writes the name of a person in it, that person will die. Time and type of death can be specified but if not, their heart will just stop. The Deathnote belongs to a death god called Ryuuk who accompanies Light and 'enforces' the power of the Deathnote(this isnt exactly correct but cant be arsed going into detail!).

The target audience seemed, to me at least, to be towards teenagers but dont let that put you off. The second film, The Last Name, is better than the first but both are worth a watch.
I've seen stills of Deathnote that show Ryuuk tagging along with Light - Does that take away your ability to suspend your disbelief? Or does it mesh well with the rest of the movie. Just curious; it's always tough to take those stills out of context, especially if you're already wary of CGI.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 04-05-2009, 05:07 AM
Foxhole Atheist

Quote:
I've seen stills of Deathnote that show Ryuuk tagging along with Light - Does that take away your ability to suspend your disbelief? Or does it mesh well with the rest of the movie. Just curious; it's always tough to take those stills out of context, especially if you're already wary of CGI.

The design of Ryuuk is a little 'cartoony' and it does take some getting use to initially. I think if they had designed it to be more realistic then it would benefit the film (how realistic a death god would be i dont know!) but its not a major distraction.

Battle Royalty, 2009
@Wolf_Scousemac
Old 04-05-2009, 04:23 PM
Scares Little Kids

I have soo many unwatched asian horror just sitting at my sister's house (she wants me to watch it with her because the coward doesn't like watching it alone and gets mad if I watch it first), but the last two I can remember watching were..

Zoo (though I don't know exactly if you can call it horror, though the first story and the 'seven rooms' story both had horror qualities), and Shutter.

When I get a chance, the next one we'll watch is Suicide Club.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:16 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
I think I'm going to have to start it again from the beginning. I really loved the visuals and the absurdity of it... I also loved the love story; so comically tragic. I need to give it a second chance and not just write it off as "not as good as TGP."
Yeah, I think that's a mistake I make with movies too. Because a couple of films will share something very similar, I think "that one was better" before the movie I'm watching is even half over. It's easy to do but when I revisit both of them I realize there are major differences that I all but ignored.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:50 PM
No, fuck YOU

Less talking and more watching, you two. :cool: