Originally Posted by Bloof View Post
Oops
Which one were you thinking of?
Old 05-22-2020, 04:27 PM
This is a test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis View Post
Which one were you thinking of?
So in the one im thinking of there is a woman who is in a voodoo trance and dying slowly. There is also a very tall thin black man with totally white eyes and he is also a zombie. I also remember them trying to sneak the dying woman to a voodoo practitioner. But i dont think Bela Lugosi was in it ?
Old 05-24-2020, 12:59 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
So in the one im thinking of there is a woman who is in a voodoo trance and dying slowly. There is also a very tall thin black man with totally white eyes and he is also a zombie. I also remember them trying to sneak the dying woman to a voodoo practitioner. But i dont think Bela Lugosi was in it ?
The one You're thinking of is I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE (1942)

THE INVISIBLE MAN'S REVENGE (1944). Decent cast in here; John Carradine, Lester Matthews (THE RAVEN, THE WEREWOLF OF LONDON), Gale Sondergaard (SPODER WOMAN) and Evelyn Ankers (looking lovely , but not a whole lot to do) and while You can see strings being used, the invisibility special effects are still pretty good.
What makes this difficult is the Invisible Man himself; Claude Rains in the original had temper outbursts from the Monocaine, but Jon Hall, right from the very first scene is just a nasty, demanding unrealistic ball busting Prick!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SPOILER>>>>>>>>>>>
Such a "Richard with Ears", that You'll want to buy a whole case of Milk Bones for the Dog who takes him out. **
Old 05-24-2020, 05:36 AM
This is a test

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
The one You're thinking of is I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE (1942). **
Yessss! Thank-you, Frye.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:30 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Yessss! Thank-you, Frye.
You're very Welcome

THE GORILLA (1939). 20th Century Fox film that looks a lot like a Monogram, this is the dark and stormy night in the big house with a madman on the loose. Lionel Atwill receives threats from a killer as his niece and her fiancee arrive . He hires a Detective firm for protection and retain his household staff. While Patsy Kelly gets off some good wisecracks, her screaming is almost akin to nail on the blackboard.
Even more sadly, the Detective Firm/"Comedy Relief" comes from The Ritz Brothers, whose endless mugging/pratfalling/buffoonery is really too painful to endure. Mrs FD has said over the years that without the Brothers, TG is a pretty good little film.
Also for Genre fans is Bela Lugosi as another Butler, but to be honest, I find most of the laughs in the film come from him. **
Old 05-30-2020, 01:27 PM
Evil Dead

Thumbs up Attack From Space

This one is a Japanese drive in cult classic about their super hero called Starman, in the old fashioned black and white format with most scenes taking place out in outer space. It has overall cool looking picture quality wiht good classic appeal, along with an interesting story about greedy people from a different planet coming to make the people of Earth their next victims, only to have Starman, the super hero from outer space, coming to the rescue. After they kidnap a lot of people from Earth, and take them to their main space station to enslave them, also thinking they had killed off Starman with their missiles, a few of the kids do not get brainwashed, and come up with some decent well thought out plans of their own at stopping these aliens and escaping from that station, and those aliens do not know for sure if they have actually eliminated Starman or not. There is plenty of great action and suspense throughout the whole film, along with overall well developed characters. The Starman action is also overall cool looking for standards back then. It is definitely not the Marvel Justice League universe of today by any stretch of the imagination, but those who enjoy the old black and white space movies should enjoy this one as well.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:11 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic_horror_fan View Post
This one is a Japanese drive in cult classic about their super hero called Starman, in the old fashioned black and white format with most scenes taking place out in outer space. It has overall cool looking picture quality wiht good classic appeal, along with an interesting story about greedy people from a different planet coming to make the people of Earth their next victims, only to have Starman, the super hero from outer space, coming to the rescue. After they kidnap a lot of people from Earth, and take them to their main space station to enslave them, also thinking they had killed off Starman with their missiles, a few of the kids do not get brainwashed, and come up with some decent well thought out plans of their own at stopping these aliens and escaping from that station, and those aliens do not know for sure if they have actually eliminated Starman or not. There is plenty of great action and suspense throughout the whole film, along with overall well developed characters. The Starman action is also overall cool looking for standards back then. It is definitely not the Marvel Justice League universe of today by any stretch of the imagination, but those who enjoy the old black and white space movies should enjoy this one as well.
Oh God...The Starman movies! saw a couple of them on one of those 100 Horror Classic sets. They are pretty out there!

DEMENTIA 13 (1963). Very early Francis Ford Coppola film about an eccentric Irish family and their yearly ceremony for a deceased family member. While it doesn't hit all the Balls out of the Park, it has one of the most boffo openings I've ever seen and a pretty scary scene involving aqua chicanery. ***
Old 06-01-2020, 12:05 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
Oh God...The Starman movies! saw a couple of them on one of those 100 Horror Classic sets. They are pretty out there!

DEMENTIA 13 (1963). Very early Francis Ford Coppola film about an eccentric Irish family and their yearly ceremony for a deceased family member. While it doesn't hit all the Balls out of the Park, it has one of the most boffo openings I've ever seen and a pretty scary scene involving aqua chicanery. ***
Yes! They are pretty out there! I'm looking forward to seeing more of them myself! I have not seen Dementia 13, but that one sounds interesting, too. I'll probably give it a look some time myself.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:22 PM
Evil Dead

Cool King Kong 1933

I also looked back at this one, and it is also more amazing than I remembered. This is definitely a timeless classic that never gets too old. One scene I had forgotten about is when they go rafting on his island, then get attacked by a dinosaur that looks like the Loch Ness Monster. Another scene that was scarier and more intense than I remembered is when he stormed through the village, picking up, throwing down, and stomping on the natives. His battle with that winged serpent is always an epic memorable scene, along with when he escapes the chains on stage, and storms off into the city, as well as when he picks up the train and shakes it. Even the near ending scene of the shadow man tripping and falling off the top of the Empire State Building is done with style and has a good classic appeal to it. This is definitely one of the better monster movies ever made.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:14 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic_horror_fan View Post
I also looked back at this one, and it is also more amazing than I remembered. This is definitely a timeless classic that never gets too old. One scene I had forgotten about is when they go rafting on his island, then get attacked by a dinosaur that looks like the Loch Ness Monster. Another scene that was scarier and more intense than I remembered is when he stormed through the village, picking up, throwing down, and stomping on the natives. His battle with that winged serpent is always an epic memorable scene, along with when he escapes the chains on stage, and storms off into the city, as well as when he picks up the train and shakes it. Even the near ending scene of the shadow man tripping and falling off the top of the Empire State Building is done with style and has a good classic appeal to it. This is definitely one of the better monster movies ever made.
Yeah, cool stuff. When I saw it on TV, basically all the village people being killed was cut. So seeing that for the first time as an adult was bizarre.

You mentioned Kong's fight with a 'winged serpent'? Are you talking about his fight with the Pterodactyl (Pterodactylus) on the mountain cliff, just before they man and woman rope down off it? Or you talking about the snake with little flippers Kong fights inside the cave? Or something else?