Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-29-2023, 12:08 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis View Post
Savage Weekend 1979 ★★½

Savage Weekend is a bit of a mean spirited slasher about a group of friends going out on a weekend and getting hacked up. Not very imaginative or engaging.

At least the killer has a nice mask and we get a few good kils. Also, extra half star for a young Christopher Allport (Jack Frost and one of Scully's exes) and William Sanderson who would also be on the X-Files, ironically playing somebody who's afraid of blood.

Death Screams 1982 ★★★

Death Screams is a fun little eighties slasher. It starts of promising with a good kill on the standard couple on Lovers lane. How anybody can be comfortable doing that on a motorbike is beyond me, but okay.

It then does the standard character introduction and only treats the viewer to a sparse few kills here and ther, just enough to keep us going. Noteworthy here is how the few kills, like the one with the arrow and the plastic bag, are executed well enough to make up for that sparseness. Also, we get a believable group of friends (though I'm not exactly sure what Kasey is supposed to be), which is not always common in a slasher, and some comic relief, like the kissing booth at the fair.

It's only at the end that the makers go all out with decaptations and dismemberments galore. And revealing the identity of the killer, even though it's not as much of an “ehmagerd” moment as perhaps hoped for.

Three stars. Fun little addition for your slasher collection.

I Eat Your Skin 1971 ★½

Wooden acting, swimming goggle zombies, lame story,... One Ed Wood will do, thank you very much.
SAVAGE WEEKEND was a good little flick, with some very strange moments.
DEATH SCREAMS was OK, nothing more.
I believe I EAT YOUR SKIN came out in the 60's and got it's name being paired with the wild I DRINK YOUR BLOOD (1971). Your rating of IEYS is dead on...it was particularly wretched.

NORMAN...IS THAT YOU? (1976).>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SPOILERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > Taking a break from SANFORD AND SON, Redd Foxx plays a curmudgeon

(really, did He play anything else but), who after his wife/business partner runs
off with her Brother-In-Law decides to make a surprise visit to his son and finds out, to his horror, that said handsome son is gay! The rest of the film involves Redd trying to "cure" his son and even the runaway wife (Pearl Bailey) shows up to help. NITY may have worked better as a sitcom episode and there's a lot of slow scenes that really don't do much. Also, Dennis Dugan (He was an actor in MASH,SHADOW CHASERS and also film director) is SO flaming that He's a caricature from the beginning...think of a more over the top Paul Lynde. There is some interesting cast members here like Jayne Meadows, Wayland Flowers (along with his puppet Madame), Sergio Aragones (MAD magazine artist), Tamara Dobson (CLEOPATRA JONES, CHAINED HEAT) and Michael Warren (HILL STREET BLUES and current Father-In-Law to Jessica Alba). Like many 70's comedies, it's got moments, but has not aged well. **
Old 12-03-2023, 04:12 AM
Evil Dead

48 Hrs. 1982 ★★★½

For some reason, my mind/memories took the presence of Eddie Muprhy to lump this one in with later comedies like Beverly Hills Cop, Midnight Run and similar eighties comedies. To my surprise, it was a lot more of a gritty action cop film.

An enjoyable action film, don't get me wrong. Nick Nolte does a good job as the gruff and while Eddie Murphy does get his comedy chops in, going from SNL to this does indeed look like expanding… more

Phantasm 1979 ★★★★★

A five star masterpiece from the golden age of horror.

Lots of atmosphere, amazing visuals, great kills – especially the one with what I can only describe as a precursor to what we now call drones – and some pretty damn scary moments. Like the one Bravo made infamous for me, the old man hovering over the bed.

Throughout all of this, the whole story is shrouded in just enough mistery to keep me fully invested in the story. Laying the grounds for a certified rewatch down the line.

Highly recommended.

Blood Beach 1980 ★★½

Be honest, this is a goofy idea (sand eating people, really?) that somehow has some sort of appeal. And in all honesty, it works a (little) bit better than it should based on the premise.

They play it fairly straight, even though Saxon's line about “just when you thought...” (in retrospect) might have a bit of self awareness to it.

Are there things to like about this one? John Saxon is in it, so that's always good. I kind of liked the Bonny Bedelia-lookalike as the lead and what's his face, Paulie from Rocky... he does a good job at playing the annoying a-hole.

Due to the nature of the monster, the kills are mostly offscreen, but the dog getting his head bit off was a nice touch and the rapist getting his dick bit off was kind of sadistically funny.
Old 12-09-2023, 11:43 PM
Evil Dead

Play Dead 1983 ★★½

A silly eighties slasher with a goofy premise, and a... gooood boy.

While the kills and the idea of the possessed rottie were silly and stupid, I did appreciate the Child's Play-like creativity that they displayed. After all, having Greta bite them would just blow the cover.

Second star for the Child's Play qualities. Also half star for how the ungrateful master/animal abuser gets her cumuppance.

To be enjoyed with snacks and a spliff.

Beetlejuice 1988 ★★★★★

Burton at his best with this outrageous mix of morbid and twisted humor. Supported by an amazing score by Danny Elfman, not to mention that stellar cast. Though for some reason I thought it was a different Baldwin playing Adam.

Five stars across the board. Day-oh!
Old 12-11-2023, 01:52 AM
Evil Dead

A CHRISTMAS STORY (1983). Absolutely delightful film about a little boy wanting that "Special Gift" for Xmas and doing his best to convince his parents, teacher and even a Department Store Santa Claus (Little kids might find this part off putting) that it wouldn't be the danger they think it is, despite all of them have the same warning. Add in other travails, such as a low grade, trying to avoid the neighborhood bullies, somewhat false advertising,dares from friends ("I triple dog dare You!") and a truly eccentric family.

Melinda Dillon and Darren McGavin are terrific as the parents..I found Darren's constant stream of babble (supposed to be swearing) quite funny as well as his impotent rage about destruction of a prize... " I always thought it was more blather when He yells "Not A Finger!"...

Amazingly, as iconic as ACS is these days, it didn't do good box office at all when released despite decent reviews. Thankfully, like other films, it got a new lease on life with cable and video.

If You haven't seen this, I envy You the pleasure of a first watch. *****
Old 12-18-2023, 09:33 PM
I kick ass for the lord!

Scarecrows (1988)

Crazy militants vs scarecrows...reminded me of Day of the Dead in a low budget type of way where we see annoying soldiers getting ripped apart by creatures which somehow turn out to be the true heroes.
Old 12-19-2023, 06:52 PM
I kick ass for the lord!

Return of The Living Dead part 2 (1988)

not as good as the original, but I didnt expect it to be.
Old 12-24-2023, 06:29 PM
I kick ass for the lord!

Christmas Evil (1980) this movie cracked me up, figured I'd finally watch this seeing as how its that time of the year.
Old 12-25-2023, 01:08 AM
Evil Dead

New Year’s Evil 1980 ★★ Watched 11 Dec 2023

A slasher from the last year of the seventies with a big bang of eighties cheese to it. Though the idea of murders exactly one hour from each other on NYE is not all that bad. You can ask (more than) a few questions on the logistics of it all – like: would it not be better to kidnap people before december 31 and hold them hostage John Kramer-style instead of looking for randos on the street on the night? – but it's not that bad.

The killer has a hilarious voice changer – he's got nothing on Ghostface – and the performing bands look amazing: a bit of punk, a bit of vogue, a bit of Bowie, a bit of Billy Idol,... It's a sight to behold.

The reveal of the killer raises more questions than it answers and the final twist veers into silliness again. So that's what they were unsubtly hinting throughout the film when they went back to the son. Sequel bait or just one more kill?

Add some mostly offscreen kills and you're done. Kind of disappointing for a slasher when the kills are a (bit of a) let down.

For those who like their slashers a bit more cheesy.

Twins 1988 ★★★★½

I don't care if it's a cliché... they don't make em like that anymore.

The type of sleaze that De Vito portrays, Arnold expanding on his acting chops (even with the oneliners),...

Sure, it's predictable as hell, but the heartfelt moments (like when Vincent teaches Julius how to dance) are genuinely touching, the mirror image mannerisms are adorable and the Schwarzenegger-De Vito works better than it should.

It's as eighties as a feelgood movie can get.

Cannibal Holocaust 1980 ★★★★½

Is this entertaining/enjoyable? Well... certainly not in the doey-eyed, that's beautiful kind of way you would watch the end of, say, ET. That said, it keeps your attention and you are immersed in the story, even as you watch in total horror.

This cult classic deservedly counts as one of the all time genre greats as it shows just how far the horror/exploitation genre can go. Not to mention that the controversy and subsequent trial surrounding its release makes for the stuff of horror legends. Or that it inspired the career of Eli Roth and now counts as a precursor to what later became the found footage subgenre. After all, the professor literally finds the footage shot by the filmmakers.

Over 40 years after its release, the graphic depiction of the violence is still some of the most extreme stuff I have seen as a fan. This can easily go together with The Human Centipede and other “likeminded” pictures. Wether it's the gang rape, or the turtle or the scene where they murder the children,... from a certain point onwards, the documentarymakers turn into a group of monsters capable of the most horrid things. And all of his with... what provocation? From what I remember, none whatsoever. Perhaps the height of an era where excessive violence and cruelty were denounced by exactly pushing the enveloppe. This and the cheesy score were at least two things Cannibal holocaust has in common with Last house on the left.

Also, cheers to Eli Roth for casting Ruggero Deodato in Hostel 2.

Watch it once, and then watch four movies about cute puppies to recover.
Old 12-25-2023, 08:07 PM
I kick ass for the lord!

gave Black Christmas (1974) a rewatch, always scary edge of your seat fun.
Old 12-25-2023, 11:32 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaeKwonZombie View Post
gave Black Christmas (1974) a rewatch, always scary edge of your seat fun.
Same here, it was amazing.