Old 11-04-2018, 08:39 AM
ventricle

Your Halloween Movie

If there was one movie you'd watch on Halloween, that you've seen before, but would only see once a year on Halloween, which film would it be?

Old 11-04-2018, 08:47 AM
Banned

Halloween of course!

I got pretty inebriated this Halloween and only managed to watch two of them before passing out for a while only to wake up to go to a bar for a party. I always watch Halloween though no matter what but this year I only got to watch it and May. If I hadn't passed out I was planning on watching The Shining next. That's another one I try to watch every year on Halloween.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:55 AM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

I guess Night of the Living Dead because it's my favorite horror movie of all time.

As a kid I also loved watching Hocus Pocus on Halloween.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:04 PM
ventricle

Today, I'd watch The Thing 1982. The characters/actors make the most of every scene. I don't re-watch films much, but I never get bored watching this.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:12 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

I think Tim Burton's version of Sleepy Hollow is a good Halloween movie too.

It's set around Halloween time and has a headless horseman and witches.

I think Sweeney Todd is good too.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:22 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho View Post
I think Tim Burton's version of Sleepy Hollow is a good Halloween movie too.

It's set around Halloween time and has a headless horseman and witches.

I think Sweeney Todd is good too.
I loved the beginning of Burton's Sleepy Hollow... When Depp comes in in the early investigation, I was like, this is looking really good. I think it went off the rails... especially scratching my head when he bit her... but such as life.

I was digging Sweeney Todd one late evening, but I fell asleep because it was late. I'll have to finish it.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:35 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
I loved the beginning of Burton's Sleepy Hollow... When Depp comes in in the early investigation, I was like, this is looking really good. I think it went off the rails... especially scratching my head when he bit her... but such as life.

I was digging Sweeney Todd one late evening, but I fell asleep because it was late. I'll have to finish it.
Both are great movies and two of my all time favorites!

Some of Tim Burton's movies I'm not really crazy about (like Dark Shadows and the Batman movies) but I really love those other two movies and The Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride. He creates such an interesting gothic and macabre world and I think his movies show he has such a unique view on things.

Also you should definetly finish Sweeney Todd some day! The ending was so tragic it kind of reminded me of a Shakespeare play.

Edit: Oh and I think the reason the horseman bit that lady was because he was a sadistic mercenary before his death and she was the one who caused his decapitation at the hands of American soldiers and was controlling his evil spirit through witchcraft. It was probably a revenge thing.

Last edited by LuvablePsycho; 11-04-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:19 PM
ventricle

I will finish watching Sweeney Todd, dagnabbit!

My favorite Tim Burton film is Edward Sissorhands, no question, one of the greatest films of 21st Century. Danny Elfman's masterpiece too.

I liked Dark Shadows -- the opening with Nights in White Satin is inspired... I had a moment there. I liked The Nightmare Before Christmas (which Burton wrote, but didn't' direct)... but after Edward... punch my mouth off, but I don't think Burton has captured the magic again. It's too bad, I'll keep coming back to Burton to see if he rides the wave again, but I haven't seen it yet.

I want to see Burton direct Willy Wonka and the Great Space Elevator.

Last edited by Sculpt; 11-04-2018 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:31 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
I will finish watching Sweeney Todd, dagnabbit!

My favorite Tim Burton film is Edward Sissorhands, no question, one of the greatest films of 21st Century. Danny Elfman's masterpiece too.

I liked Dark Shadows -- the opening with Nights in White Satin is inspired... I had a moment there. I liked The Nightmare Before Christmas (which Burton wrote, but didn't' direct)... but after Edward... punch my mouth off, but I don't think Burton has captured the magic again. It's too bad, I'll keep coming back to Burton to see if he rides the wave again, but I haven't seen it yet.

I want to see Burton direct Willy Wonka and the Great Space Elevator.
I didn't like Dark Shadows because the ending felt so anticlimatic. Also the "humor" was lost on me, and I know vampires have to feed on blood to live but I actually felt bad for a lot of the victims that Depp's character killed because many of them were innocent and didn't deserve it. Like those construction workers building a new McDonalds who unearthed his coffin or those happy hippies who were just hanging out and being nice to him.

But I guess that's vampires for you.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:25 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho View Post
I didn't like Dark Shadows because the ending felt so anticlimatic. Also the "humor" was lost on me, and I know vampires have to feed on blood to live but I actually felt bad for a lot of the victims that Depp's character killed because many of them were innocent and didn't deserve it. Like those construction workers building a new McDonalds who unearthed his coffin or those happy hippies who were just hanging out and being nice to him.

But I guess that's vampires for you.
Dark Shadows was not great, but I enjoyed it. I went to the theatre with a group of friends, some of whom had been fans of the show. I had only seen a few episodes.

It did bother me a little about Depp's vampire character killing innocent people. He wasn't the hero, a bit of an anti-hero, but as I recall, not entirely the main character either. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was sort of expecting a tongue-in-cheek antihero vampire. It was hit and miss for me. I don't even remember the ending mostly because it was so weird to me, I think I was losing track of what happening at the end.