Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > True Crime
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-13-2005, 07:17 PM
Umbra Asylum

Send a message via Yahoo to bloodrayne
Pediatrician Charged With Abuse And Attempted Murder Of His Own Baby

Doctor Faces More Charges

Virginia - A pediatrician accused of trying to kill his infant daughter was arrested on more charges Friday while prosecutors argue that the doctor abused his baby on two other occasions leading up to giving her a near-toxic dose of water.

Dr. Iain Gainov, 38, who has been free on $55,000 bond in connection with an attempted murder charge in Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court, was brought before Judge Paul M. Peatross Jr. in Albemarle Circuit Court on eight additional indictments handed down by a grand jury.

The new charges include neglect, malicious wounding and attempted murder. If convicted, Gainov faces up to life in prison.

Peatross added $20,000 to Gainov’s bond after hearing arguments from the pediatrician’s lawyer and Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney Cynthia R. Murray.

Gainov began abusing his daughter when she was just three months old, Murray argued, when he scalded the infant, causing third-degree burns. Four months later, the prosecutor said, Gainov was responsible for a skull fracture that caused the baby’s head to swell.

The prosecutor showed Peatross two photos of the baby with red marks on the lower part of her face and neck. She said that Gainov told doctors that he was trying to dry his daughter’s wet shirt with a hairdryer when she was injured on Sept. 10.

In explaining a Dec. 30 head injury, Murray said, Gainov told doctors and police that he left her unattended and she rocked off a sofa.

On March 1, Gainov’s daughter was brought to the hospital suffering a seizure and showing other symptoms of water intoxication.

Murray said doctors from Inova Fairfax Hospital conducted an investigation and determined that the baby was injured as a result of child abuse.

After police and the Department of Social Services looked into the case, Gainov was charged with attempted murder. A preliminary hearing is scheduled in Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court next month, but could be cancelled if that charge is merged with the circuit court indictments.

Gainov was fired from the University of Virginia Medical Center on March 10. While on bond, he has lived in a Charlottesville motel and is preparing to sell his house on Fox Crest Way, according to defense attorney Denise Y. Lunsford.

The baby is staying with her mother, who plans to move to New York to be with her family, Lunsford said.

Lunsford asked Peatross to set bond at a low amount, countering Murray’s assertion that Gainov is a flight risk. Gainov has complied so far with all the terms of his bond set in juvenile court, Lunsford said, including reporting to court every other Monday and having no contact with his daughter.

A psychological evaluation on Gainov shows that he is not violent or aggressive, Lunsford said, adding that he has a clean record and alcohol and drug use is not a concern in this case.

A trial date will be set in August.

My Karma ran over my Dogma

God WAS my co-pilot...But, we crashed in the mountains and...I had to eat him

I'm suffocating in what's become of me...
The rancid remains of what I used to be